It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Farmers Treating Milk With Boron After Finding Radiation 2400 Times Above Safe Levels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hawaii Farmers Treating Milk With Boron After Finding Radiation 2400 Times Above Safe Levels

[url=http://theintelhub.com/2011/05/26/hawaii-farmers-treating-milk-with-boron-after-finding-radiation-2400-times-above-safe-levels/]theintelhub.com[/ url]

A letter issued by Hawaii Milk farmers advises other milk farmers to treat their milk with boron after local dairies detected Japan nuclear radiation in milk at 400 to 2400 times the recognized safe levels.

In related news, this letter was published around the same time that the EPA stopped Fukushima nuclear radiation tests on milk, drinking water and rainwater.

The reason? Levels of radiation were supposedly dropping and posed no health risks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I knew milk was going to get radiated. I stopped drinking milk day 1 of the nuclear accident in Japan. I have, however, occasionally had organic soy milk. My significant other has also stopped drinking milk, and has taken to the organic soy milk - which she likes better than normal milk (too me it tastes too grassy, though).

I wonder what the levels of radiation look like in other parts of America, in the milk, water and food? Are there any agencies besides the EPA who test this stuff?

[url=http://theintelhub.com/2011/05/26/hawaii-farmers-treating-milk-with-boron-after-finding-radiation-2400-times-above-safe-levels/]theintelhub.com[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Geeeez.... #in A.... yea well the MSM needs a whipping..

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yeah. Just nuts.

Posted this a couple of weeks ago...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
I wonder what the levels of radiation look like in other parts of America, in the milk, water and food? Are there any agencies besides the EPA who test this stuff?

Not exactly an agency, but a group of scientists at UC Berkeley here in California are doing some local testing of that type.
edit on 5/27/11 by BuzzCory because: messed up quote function

edit on 5/27/11 by BuzzCory because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I hear radiation is good for the soul, Bottoms up

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

I read that report a couple of weeks or so ago.....

makes one wonder, if the radiation levels are so high in milk.....what about fresh produce in Hawaii?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have a child with neuro fibromiosis or nf1. She is prone to develop tumors and such on her nerves which luckily, she has not developed yet. (to keep it simple) she loves milk! I dont want to give her something that will add to her issues! Ugh, how safe is the soy milk? Any other safe alternatives to milk? At this point, does it matter?
I have an infant, what is formula made from? Its like a poisonus intravenos line to our kiddos, curtesy of mom!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Soy milk is not safe either.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Awww Shut up and drink your milk already!

It's good for you, you know calcium, AND radioactive strontium, cesium and iodine!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzCory

a group of scientists at UC Berkeley here in California are doing some local testing of that type.
Thanks for the link.

Here is a graph of Iodine I found on that site. As you can see it was measurable in early April, then it dropped off sharply as one might expect, since it has a half-life of only 8 days:

And here's a graph of Cesium 137:

Now I admit CA and HI are a considerable distance apart, but if Hawaii is that elevated, I'd expect to see a little more in CA. But the CA Iodine and CS-134 levels in milk have fallen into the background. The CS 137 is just above the minimum detectable as the 2nd graph shows, and it did jump up a bit recently if such a difference in measurement is even significant at such low levels.

If you click "more" on that link you find a totally different story, that the boron is being given to cows, and not put in milk for human consumption as the first article suggests. That sounds more plausible (though I still have doubts about it), since I don't think you can just start putting additives in milk without changing the labeling and possibly getting FDA approval or something. Even the 2nd link is written by a a very gullible "quack" who will believe anything anyone tells them no matter how false:

According to Cheryl McCoy, Aboutclay.com, Calcium Bentonite Clay acts as a magnet absorbing anything with a positive charge, ie radiation and toxicity. She suggests washing all produce which may be considered radioactive in 1 part clay to 8 parts water in a non-metallic bowl, soaking for 10 minutes, then rinse and dry as usual. Bentonite clay can be added to catchment tanks, drinking water or raw milk to isolate radioactivity, which will not be released once captured by clay.
This is one of the biggest crocks I ever heard. Even if the clay happens to absorb radiation when you expose it to radioactive material, I don't see how it will "extract" any radiation as she seems to be claiming. Radioactive materials have a half-life, and exposing them to clay doesn't change that half-life. Then again she is selling this "snake oil" so I'm not too surprised about making bogus claims to sell more of it.

Unless someone has a better source, I think the OP story is a HOAX about the radiation levels in Hawaii milk being 2400 Times Above Safe Levels, and adding boron to the milk, though part about the EPA stopping radiation monitoring is actually true. I'm surprised other ATSers didn't call out this hoax.

Now if they were finding radiation in the water around Hawaii, I'd find that more believable. I'm not convinced they have control over the radioactive water coming from Fukushima, and I'd believe elevated levels of radiation found in Pacific ocean fish, that's what the FDA needs to be testing!!!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I drink milk like it's going out of style.

I am in Florida how would milk in Hawaii affect me?

I have tried the soy milk and it just doesnt taste the same to me.

This actually kind of freaks me out because I drink so much milk. Is it only affecting milk in Hawaii or all over?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e994ecb3ec32.jpg[/atsimg]
Enough said.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This actually kind of freaks me out because I drink so much milk. Is it only affecting milk in Hawaii or all over?
Read my post, it's a hoax.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

A letter issued by Hawaii Milk farmers...

Sometimes I do wonder if ATS readers actually bother reading the articles that they link to.

This official sounding "letter" isnt anything more than the personal opinions of "Britton & Shekinah" on another website.
Essentially the same as if you yourself were to post some crapola on ATS and then have another website reporting it as news.

Edit - also, the "letter" states the following astounding claim...
Milk from the large dairies in
Hamakua and Hawi has shown
elevated levels of radiation, from
400 to 2400 times the recognized
safe levels.

...but I cant find any evidence of this in any other place on the net. All searches for radiation at these places leads back eventually to this same "letter". Can anyone actually back this up, or is it just a lie?

edit on 27-5-2011 by alfa1 because: more content

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Milk from the large dairies in
Hamakua and Hawi has shown
elevated levels of radiation, from
400 to 2400 times the recognized
safe levels.

is it just a lie?
That part is a lie.

The part of the article about the EPA cutting back on radiation monitoring is true however.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Yes, almond milk and coconut milk, YUM!

top topics

join