It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time running out for the Amazon rain forest?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
You would think after the severe droughts of last year the Brazilian government would really think twice before going ahead with this, although it hasn't been passed yet my money is on the destroyers getting their go ahead.

Brazil has taken a big step towards passing new laws that will loosen restrictions on the amount of Amazon rainforest that farmers can destroy, after its lower house of parliament voted in favour of updating the country's 46-year-old forest code. In a move described as "disastrous" by conservationists, the nation's congress backed a bill relaxing laws on the deforestation of hilltops and the amount of vegetation farmers must preserve. The law also offers partial amnesties for fines levied against landowners who have illegally destroyed tracts of rainforest. The legislation, which must still be passed by the Brazillian Senate and approved by President Dilma Rousseff, aims to help owners of smaller farms and ranches compete with under-regulated rivals in countries such as the USA and Argentina. At present, under Brazil's forest code passed in 1965, 80 per cent of all property in the Amazon basin is supposed to be left as untouched forest. In other parts of the country, that figure ranges from between 20 and 35 per cent, depending on the ecosystem of the particular region.

Link

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
im not sure if any of this matters, i dont think the time left is enough for any of their plans. i really dont feel its much of a concern. i mean the threat is wrong, ALWAYS accommodating PROFIT instead of people thats not an economy..

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I agree, I think that it probably will get pasted. Which is sad as area’s of the world with rainforest need to be protected more. Thank you for sharing.
edit on 5/27/2011 by SoulShadow because: (no reason given)

new topics

join