It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF you have to listen to ADVERTISEMENTS when making a phone call now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This one really ticked me off. I had to make an international call to the US. Before the call went through I was treated to some BS 30-second radio-like commercial. While, I might add, I was paying for it. This was a first. Classy.

What's next? ads on the mail? On police and doctor's uniforms? Don't tell me, I don't want to know,

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I was watching the graffiti documentary "Bomb It", and I was took back by the strong message conveyed in that film.

The Graffiti was cited to be unsightly, but the same goes for billboards, ads of all type, which are unavoidable.

I don't care if some one did pay for the space/time, we didn't ask for the bombardment of advertisements overloading our subconcience all the time, everywhere.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Consume.

That's all that really matters these days.

Keep people chasing the greener grass until there's no grass left at all.

It's sickening huh?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

hi - it might be helpfull if you give a few more details - like what country you called from , what phone service used , did you use an international calling service - etc etc

i have only made 4 international calls this year - all from the UK , using brittish telecom

1 to the USA , 1 to canada , one to cyprus and one to malta

no adverts yet

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The ads are getting really annoying these days.

The other day I was watching Family Guy on Fox and a Burger King ad came on... While the show was playing!
It was a thick frame with a burger in the corner and moving flames.

I hope it never gets like in Futurama where they have ads in their dreams lol.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Even when you watch justinTv Ustream or some youtube channels, we get bombarded with adds

The internet is slipping out our hands, the hands of the people.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Even when you watch justinTv Ustream or some youtube channels, we get bombarded with adds

The internet is slipping out our hands, the hands of the people.

Its easy to remove ads from YouTube, just download AdBlock, works in Chrome and FireFox. No more ads then, in any site!!! adblockplus.org...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Damn I hate advertising.
Wow, now in phone calls, give us a break!

I always said...if you have enough money to advertise on MSM, you don't need more money.
I am more willing to buy a product that has no ads just for that fact.

Companies are taking away the freedom of the most important resource of our limited life, time.
Life is short, don't barge in my life to try to sell your stupid product that you obviously already making too much money of it.

Also, I never trust a product that is commercialized by beautiful women. Same thing for video clips.
If you need a brainless chick to sell to the brainless, your product is not good enough for me.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

hi - it might be helpfull if you give a few more details - like what country you called from , what phone service used , did you use an international calling service - etc etc

i have only made 4 international calls this year - all from the UK , using brittish telecom

1 to the USA , 1 to canada , one to cyprus and one to malta

no adverts yet

It was a call from one mobile phone to another, Russia to the US. I can't remember the carrier or other details, that but the ads were in cheery US English, some crap about "exciting investment opportunities in the US" blah blah. So I assume the US was the country of origin for this rather than Russia. I made a similar mobile to mobile call to and from the same number maybe 3 months ago and there were no ads.
edit on 5/27/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

yes yes, any and everything that you can imagine that accommodates profit, IDIOCRACY

it wont be long, with the attempts in radiation poisoning from the TRITIUM Dump into the Mississippi upstream, coincidentally before the "historic" floods, and the MSM didnt speak a peep.
time for stock in Brawndo, its got electrolytes, what plants crave O.o

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It's awful when you pay around $10 to go see a movie, and have to sit through 20 minutes of advertisements for cars, tide laundry soap, sprite, and a bunch of other things.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Here's the problem in a nutshell.
If someone thinks they can make a profit from it, they'll do it.
Remove the profit motive, and replace it with something akin to the betterment of society.
Unfortunately this involves tearing the bastardized version of capitalism we suffer under down and replacing it with one firmly within the grasp of political society, not subject to the highest bidder.
Corporations in the US used to have to apply for a charter every X years, and to get it renewed, they had to prove that they were engaged in economic activity which had a net benefit to the society they operated in.

This awesome idea went by the wayside, who wants to bet its because some political hack(s) got paid?

Sad. Sorry for the intrusion, OP, but thats the world that has evolved around us. Sucks, no?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
The ads are getting really annoying these days.

The other day I was watching Family Guy on Fox and a Burger King ad came on... While the show was playing!
It was a thick frame with a burger in the corner and moving flames.

I hope it never gets like in Futurama where they have ads in their dreams lol.

I can't stand ads during shows for anything!!

They use to just advertise their shows in the corner really small, now they take up half the darn screen. It is extremely annoying.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aisling
It's awful when you pay around $10 to go see a movie, and have to sit through 20 minutes of advertisements for cars, tide laundry soap, sprite, and a bunch of other things.

AGREED! The only thing I want to see before a movie are movie previews and those funny Fandango adverts.

top topics

join