It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs 4-year Patriot Act With AN Auto Pen in France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Obama signs 4-year Patriot Act With AN Auto Pen

www.sfgate.com

Obama signs 4-year Patriot Act extension in France

"With Obama currently in France, the White House said the president would use an autopen machine that holds a pen and signs his actual signature. It is only used with proper authorization of the president. Minutes before the midnight deadline, the White House said Obama had signed the bill."Obama said he was pleased the act had been extended"
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-5-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I hope this bill was not rushed on the account that he wanted to sign it in France while having a dignitary meeting .

I never seen a bill pass so fast and signed like this before . Since it was signed on foreign soil does this count with an auto pen. where are the birthers at, they might know.

www.sfgate.com

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SJE98

... where are the birthers at, they might know.

www.sfgate.com

I hope someone can bring something reasonable to the table as the general consensus on this forum disagrees with the Patriot Act.

Congress approves extension of expiring Patriot Act provisions [ATS] started by tothetenthpower

Patriot act must end [ATS] started by VicDiaz89

Obama signs temporary extension of Patriot Act [ATS] started by kolcath

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Many bills and declarations are signed this way. Why are people paying attention now to something that has been going on for many presidencies?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
... so... why not use a fax machine?

The man can command the armed forces from 'his' airplane... but we need to go through an autopen for this... I'm lost.

Anyway - the Patriot Act is one of those win-some-lose-some deals. Personally, I think some more clearly defined limitations on the powers would be better than leaving things rather open-ended as they are now. It can be argued that, as written, the act was necessary following the WTC disaster and was crucial in granting powers to law enforcement allowing them to track down terrorist cells. On the other hand - I don't think it should be made a permanent fixture, and a more conservative set of changes made to allow law enforcement to do their job to track down the terrorists while still affording the average American plenty of protection from unreasonable actions by law enforcement.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yea.. uh... that auto pen suff is sort of like.. what the word.. besides wrong... just cant grasp it.. I'll say that should be illegal. You cant sign bills that usurp our rights and not even sign it in person.,,., if you commit an atrocity, atleast have the odacity to be present.

tool

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Before everyone gets too excited about bashing Obama over this issue, this has been done by every president since at least Kennedy. The autopen was invented in the 40's. You cannot say anything about Obama and this that you will not be applying to every other president in recent history so please, let's not get caught up in this petty nonsense.

I cannot help but believe Obama sits around laughing his ass off, watching people run around screaming at each other over things like this. This is thread number 3 I have seen on it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stefri

... where are the birthers at, they might know.

www.sfgate.com

I hope someone can bring something reasonable to the table...

It would be interesting if someone could provide details to these automated machines signing documents that the general consensus disagrees with.

I received a "Presidential Fitness" award in the elementary "signed" by Bill Clinton although I'm sure it was a photocopy

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The reason this was done is because the Patriot Act provisions that were voted on in Congress were set to expire at midnight. By the time it passed, there was no way to get the document overseas to Obama for a first person signature without there being a gap in time where the Patriot Act would not be a signed law and it would have left "holes in our security". Therefore, an auto-pen was used to sign it. Others have already stated, this is nothing new, as other presidents have done the same thing.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
One of my favortite actresses is Sanai Lathan, I'm in love with her,.... but I would not pay one cent for a photocopied picture of her autograph, I dont think anyone would pay much of anything for a none original autograph, so how is this legit, never heard about autopen til now

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I never seen a bill pass so fast and signed like this before . Since it was signed on foreign soil does this count with an auto pen. where are the birthers at, they might know.

SORRY

I just couldn't help but laugh at that part...Oh yes, of course the birther's would be the ones to turn to for answers.

You get a star for starting off my Friday with a laugh.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Is it news that he signed using a pen that has been in use by presidents for 40 years? Is that news? No. That is OLD news. Forty years old!

The news is that he signed this freaking disaster for a 4 year extension!
Will the Patriot Act ever go down? Is it with us for life?

edit on 5/27/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Who cares how the hell he signed it???

The FACT that he DID sign it is what should be pissing people off..

Change you can believe in??

Someone tell me, WTF has changed ???

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Who cares how the hell he signed it???

The FACT that he DID sign it is what should be pissing people off..
My sentiments exactly. I don't care if he signed it with a zero-G pen on the space shuttle.

The patriot act shouldn't have been extended and he shouldn't have signed it....

And then to add insult to injury, he's "pleased" about it? The patriot act was supposed to expire years ago, the latest deadline was already the result of multiple extensions! This is ridiculous!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
hmm, is Obama thinking that he can be the next Napolean by signing this in France

Whats next, Michelle Obama telling the people to eat cake next

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The autopen is a total non-issue, since the law had to be signed by midnight or it would expire and he was not in Washington. Even autograph collector's have a niche market for autopen signed documents.

The real issue is the Patriot Act - which, by the way, was overwhelmingly approved by the Republican majority - 196 Yeas versus Democrats 54 Yeas. Had it been left to the Dems (minus that jackal Reid), it would have been defeated (122 Nays versus Republicans 31 Nays). Even TP favorite Michelle Bachman voted Yea to approve it. (House Vote 376 - To Extend Provisions of the Patriot Act)

Obama made a promise to increase government oversight of aspects of the Patriot Act, but like many of his promises he compromised with congress. Like his promise to end the tribunals in Gitmo and bring those detainees to trial in federal court, he compromised with Republicans in Congress and the status quo prevailed. I blame Obama for not making it happen but I also blame the GOP for thwarting it tooth and nail.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Why is HOW he signed it being debated here? How about the fact that he signed off on another 4-years of illegal wire taps in this country? Illegal search and seizures??

Hope and change you can believe in?? I've never seen a bigger two-faced liar than Obama. I'm ashamed to say I voted for him.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Well, the only democrat that matters is Obama, and he "voted" for it by signing it.

top topics

join