It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden rise in food prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Last evening, my mom and I went to the grocery store to get some stuff. What I noticed was how bread was now $3/loaf and how milk is now $5/gal. It's insane. Last month, milk was $3/gal and bread was $1/loaf. Any of you know why this is so?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It would help to know where you live (country at least) instead of having us just assume

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
It would help to know where you live (country at least) instead of having us just assume

Northwest Indiana

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Here in Memphis, there have been signs in the produce department at Kroger (a major grocery chain in the south) claiming that it's due to weather. I know there's been bad weather, but they've been stating this since around mid-January. One of the clerks told me that prices are going to get really high, but they're not suppose to say. I only have to shop for the two of us and really feel for people having to feed a family. I'm sure a lot are working just for grocery money. Makes me wonder what's really going on.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Prices in the U.S. are not bad at all, in fact I shop in the U.S. for groceries about every 2 weeks. It's cheaper and there is more selection and the deals are way better. I can get 2 gallons of milk there for the price of one here, bread is way cheaper instead of sugar filled juice boxes I can get in Canada, I can get flavored water juices for the kids lunches cheaper in the U.S. When I can get over $335. worth of food in the U.S and only pay $250. for it. I just get a lot more food for my money and I'm feeding 6 people so every little bit counts.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by catswithbigpaws

I read that food prices have gone up 60% in the last 6 months, and will continue to rise as there is crop failure or reduced crop production (from natural disasters/drought etc).
Americas wheat production is supposed to be "less than antincipated" in the last report I read, (and we have no more reserves) which means higher grain prices. Which also means higher price for animal feed, which means higher cost of meat. Its a big chain reaction.
Fuel prices also causes food prices to rise.

The food companies have tried to hide the cost through smaller packaging for the same price. I see my grocery store try to hide the price raises by raising the price and at the very same time put up their "special sign" reading "temporary price reduction save 19cents" off the new 50cent higher price.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Since I am just feeding myself, I make trips to the store at least 2-3 a week. Food prices have not suddenly risen but have been steadily climbing over the past year, with price spikes here and there. Most of it has to do with the price of fuel, due to transportation and the various ways that food is cultivated, grown and/or manufactured. As well as crop success or failure as mentioned above. Producing food is never cheap.

The thing that annoys me is while gas prices go up and down, I have yet to see food prices drop as fuel prices drop. They stay the same until the next increase in fuel, then WHUMP, another spike.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
They are soaring in the UK.

Fresh food especially.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You think its bad here try buying your groceries in Zimbabwe.
Now prices there will break the bank, if you can even find what your looking for.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

It's not "sudden", it's been going on for awhile now, at least where I live. I'd say about a 30% increase in my grocery bill.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'm under the impression that rises in food prices here in the UK are mainly due to:

- Weaker currency, making it more expensive to import than a few years ago. Most of our food is imported iirc.
- Higher fuel prices, making food production (tractors/combine harvesters/etc) and distribution (lorries, etc.) more expensive.

Due to my limited economic knowledge I'm not sure whether this is actually the case. I must also note that this is UK-centric and thus probably won't help you, although it might.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thanks! Now that I'm thinking about it, food isn't that expensive. I can still get like 8 apples for $4, 1 lb/turkey for $5, and a bunch of cheap produce.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Sudden rise? Hmm...

Gradual increase in prices? Yup. Seen prices go up about 10 cents every week or so.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Soda was the biggest recent jump I noticed. Probably months ago, but they switched to these 8pks instead of 12pks, yet charge the same price!

Of course, I'm careful to buy the 12pks (which are still jacked, but cheaper per oz.), and only when on sale (and then stock up).

I don't even drink them anymore (the wife does). I switched to water and MiO (a squirt flavor additive to water). Turns water into sweet iced tea with just a couple squirts...pretty amazing really.

Meat's expensive. Even the cheaper cuts now seem to go for more. Used to be about 3 dollars per pound more for a good cut, but now that gap has shrunk a bit...so not really worth it to get a cheap cut. My wife is picky, but I'd usually save by getting a cheaper cut for me.

Milk and Eggs have jumped a little, and most produce is really a roller coaster...cheap some weeks, and expensive as heck the next.

Everything else though, seems to still be about the same, at least here.

top topics

join