posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:26 PM
The conservative case against gay parenting is quite simply the studies that supposedly support the theory that no harm comes from having gay parents
are full of holes. Most notably is the fact that several prominent individuals and groups sympathetic to gay rights have come out against the studies
calling them unscientific.
One of these individuals is Steven Nock
from the University of Virginia. An
avid supporter of family diversity and gay marriage he came out publicly last year in the Canadian Supreme Court case on gay marriage stating “not a
single one of those studies was conducted according to generally accepted standards of scientific research..” You can review his entire
Whenever advocates discredit studies that are in their favor it usually means the data really isn’t solid.
Another gay right activist that has came forward claiming the studies to be bogus is Judith
. Stacey’s Support of so called Alternative families has put her at odds with conservatives for years. However, in 2001 in an article
published in the American Sociological Review
in 2001 she ripped through the 21 better known studies on gay child raising. The article was
titled "Does the Sexual Orientation of Parents Matter?"
Amazingly Stacey agreed with the conservative stance that the studies were performed by researchers sympathetic to the gay plight.
Some of the items Stacey pointed out in her article:
- When the first studies comparing children brought up in Hetero and Homo-sexual homes was first addressed in the 1970’s obtaining a representative
sample was impossible and still is.
- The information needed to discover what a homo-sexual family really looks like is only beginning to emerge. The first real information is from the
- The subjects that the researchers have been able to get have not been willing to be counted and measured.
- Samples have been extremely small and anything but random
- The samples have been primarily adults and children that have been referred or recruited.
- The results have been heavily slanted to well educated white families and a far greater sample of lesbian families than gay men.
- Most of the gay parenting studies occurred during the 80’s out of hetero families dissolved before or after one parent came out of the closet.
Information gleaned from the Census is as follows: