It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I remember the American Propaganda during the first weeks of war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I remember when we went into war after 9/11. I believe it was a month later. This is when I began watching MSN. Nothing wrong with msn just take bits and pieces from it.

Something burned into my head that I will always remember. The first couple of months cnn/msn/fox news would report updates on death counts towards our "opponents/Iraq/afgan" compared to American solders. I recall watching in the ticker like 100-200 people would die and only about 2 Americans would die. Something on that comparison.

So, sounds like fish in a barrel imo. This was truly sad and disturbing, luckily the MSM have toned down the death tolls a great deal. But patriotism was still in the air and I guess it was cool to kill an Arab. Interesting times those were.

Just wanted to make anyone remember how sick the human race is.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What's sick about the situation you just stated? Does the death of our enemies sicken you?
edit on 26-5-2011 by Evola because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
The death of people, but we as the united empire of america just have the capability to slaughter anyone.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I agree with your statement that this is sick, but it is reporting is it not? Were they supposed to lie and say no one died in the fighting? Or just hide the statistics?

I also don't see the Propaganda stated in your title. Not denying the use of it in MSM, especially in America. I just don't see it in your example.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Not to sick in my book bro. This was redemption!! I do remember the tickers though, it's like they expected this to be a quick in and out mission, 10 years later

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
The death of people, but we as the united empire of america just have the capability to slaughter anyone.

Those who do harm to America deserve death. We should be proud that our nation is strong enough to destroy its enemies.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Evola because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evola

Those who do harm to America deserve death. We should be proud that our nation is strong enough to destroy its enemies.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Evola because: (no reason given)

your statement makes sense, since 9/11 was an inside job America is its own enemy, so america will destroy america. being done right now.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I remember when we went into war after 9/11. I believe it was a month later. This is when I began watching MSN. Nothing wrong with msn just take bits and pieces from it.

Something burned into my head that I will always remember. The first couple of months cnn/msn/fox news would report updates on death counts towards our "opponents/Iraq/afgan" compared to American solders. I recall watching in the ticker like 100-200 people would die and only about 2 Americans would die. Something on that comparison.

So, sounds like fish in a barrel imo. This was truly sad and disturbing, luckily the MSM have toned down the death tolls a great deal. But patriotism was still in the air and I guess it was cool to kill an Arab. Interesting times those were.

I am not in America, I am in New Zealand, but we had propaganda too, a tonne of it! (Not along those lines, more "the Iraqis are welcoming the Americans with open arms" kind of thing, and regarding Afghanistan, some of our nuttier media people went ape-#!
But being here, I remember also, hearing a great deal about 'friendly fire' incidents. (The first 100 or so British soldiers who died, were all killed in friendly fire events)
edit on 27/5/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evola
We should be proud that our nation is strong enough to destroy its enemies.

Then you should not be proud of the fact that our nation has been unable to defeat a bunch of angry religious farmers who have bad eyesight and shoot soviet surplus ammo.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Interesting memory.

One of the greatest mistakes of the United States government during the early part of of the U.S. war in Vietnam was the ill conceived focus on enemy body count in an attempt to quantify a value to gauge success in a conflict with no territorial goals.

Although the conditions for U.S. victory were redefined by the Nixon administration, the lack of clear strategic direction resulted in the inevitable meatgrinder that wars based on attrition are all destined to become and thus became one of the bigger failures of strategic vision in the history of the U.S. military.

Much of the civil unrest and political fallout during the late 60's cited this policy as a symptom of what was wrong with the establishment, as a result the U.S. Government has become hyper sensitive of avoiding any impression that enemy body count is anything more than incidental and would not furnish the media with the data for any type of running enemy death count.

Certainly the media would publish estimates of enemy casualties in some slick graphic, but the type of comparison you are suggesting has been viewed in poor taste since the late 60's by both public and government alike.

Case in point, the destruction of the retreating Iraqi troops from Kuwait in 1991 was widely criticized as an unnecessary of life which further modified the policy of the U.S. government sensitivity regarding casualties amongst enemy combatants.

I wont argue the morality of war, war is immoral by nature.

I will say that there has never been a time in history that an aggressor nation gone to the lengths the U.S. has in either Iraq or Afghanistan to minimize unnecessary bloodshed and carnage. The suggestion that U.S. armed forces have purposefully engaged in wholesale indiscriminate slaughter in either theatre is exceptionally naive of the true destructive potential the U.S. military is capable of wielding. ( NBC weaponry non withstanding)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

sick indeed.

but imo those numbers were a lie, they just wanted us to think we were actually killing ppl, to make us think we were winning the war, when really, going to war was when we actually lost the war...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

I will say that there has never been a time in history that an aggressor nation gone to the lengths the U.S. has in either Iraq or Afghanistan to minimize unnecessary bloodshed and carnage. The suggestion that U.S. armed forces have purposefully engaged in wholesale indiscriminate slaughter in either theatre is exceptionally naive of the true destructive potential the U.S. military is capable of wielding. ( NBC weaponry non withstanding)

I hope you're kidding! If this is the USA trying to minimise carnage, what would they look like if they didn't? Warhammer 40,000 AD?
V,

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

They still do it to a lesser extent..

The other day here in the UK, they said the number of service men and women killed was like 387 or something.... I mean that is awful, don't get me wrong..... but the number of INNOCENT Iraqi's and Afghan's stands somewhere around a MILLION.

I mean... It's ridiculous.

They NEVER mention the number of innocent people or even opposition forces who are killed.... but you here about every single UK/US service person killed.

Oh well...
edit on 27/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Exactly, it's becoming more and more obvious that Western troops are worthless. It's the hardware that makes the slight difference, without it, even more Western troops would piss their pants and kill themselves during/after duty.

Like to talk all big, but the last generation of Western troops that HAD to fight to survive were second world war troops - European and Russian (not American). Beyond that, Western troops have not been forced into combat, instead they were being put in war situations for profit, by their superiors.

This is a huge hurdle for the troops as I bet the big majority, including high ranks, don't have the mindset of a warrior (A lot of the soldiers do have the mindset of psychopaths though - but that is another story).

I'm just wondering if the playing fields were leveled, would so many of you still run your mouth about troop superiority(which, rest assured, is a figment of your imagination)?

You soldiers who go up against people who have warfare in their genes and who've had to fight for centuries on end for survival...I can imagine that when you piss off the general population in those countries is when you start taking losses exponentially, because most fighters, are not fighting.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Jordan River

They still do it to a lesser extent..

The other day here in the UK, they said the number of service men and women killed was like 387 or something.... I mean that is awful, don't get me wrong..... but the number of INNOCENT Iraqi's and Afghan's stands somewhere around a MILLION.

I mean... It's ridiculous.

They NEVER mention the number of innocent people or even opposition forces who are killed.... but you here about every single UK/US service person killed.

Oh well...
edit on 27/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

That's the same observation I have. For every dead UK/US personnel (whose purpose was to kill and destroy), there are how many 100s of innocent civilians (who did nothing wrong but live in an occupied zone)? The true ratio would be unacceptable to the general public.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

I am glad that the body count ticker has been dropped. It served the purpose of letting people realize the human cost of war, but people quickly become immune to it.

As for the disproportionate casualties, many wounded Iraqis/Afghans died just due to lack of immediate medical attention, whereas the coalition troops had it, along with every Soldier having received at least a minimal amount of 1st aid training, couple with a medevac capability. That's also why we see more Soldiers coming back maimed, rather than dead.

But I have to ask, Do you have the mindset of a warrior? If you think you do, then why wouldn’t others? So what if the Western Militaries have technology? We’d be fools not to use it right? As the saying goes, “All is fair in love and war.”

And if the playing fields were leveled (and they rarely are) that would mean that the US, Russia and or China would be at war with one or the other. That’s a scenario I would rather not see. I also believe that everyone has “warfare in their genes”, but the majority of us have suppressed it, for the betterment of humanity.

new topics

top topics

join