It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi men launch Facebook Campaign To Whip Women Who Dare To Drive

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thank you Burntheships for this post.

Back in March I read a great opinion piece by a woman on arabnews.com detailing what it would be link if women could drive.

Imagine if women could drive

Heeding John Lennon, imagine it’s the year 3000 and women drive in Saudi Arabia.

Dropped off children at school, did some grocery shopping and now heading to work. It’s the end of the week, so much to do and so little time to do it in. Today’s TO-DO list:
1. Police station,
2. Passport, department,
3. Bank,
5. Beach resort, boat and jet-ski rental and reservation.

First things first: The police station. “
Salam aleikum, I’m Muna Ahmad, lawyer of Laila Ibrahim who ran a red light,” the uniformed man did not flinch.
I continued, “She completed the consequential one night in jail and here’s the fine payment so she’s free to go.” Still, silence.
“Excuse me, I’m talking to you.” “
Where is he?” he barked.
“Where is who?” I replied.
“Her ‘wali amr’ (legal male guardian)?”
“I’m her lawyer,” I said handing him a copy of my license.
“Even if you were her mother. If there’s no legal male guardian, then she stays jailed,” he spat without even looking up.
“But she’s done the time,” I argued.
“She’ll do more time until her legal male guardian comes for her. Go complain to a qadi (judge) if you don’t like it.”

Drove to court.
Bribed the court’s entry points and approached the judge.
“Sheikh Saeed, I need a court order because my client’s being illegally kept beyond her due time.”
The judge turned to the clerk/plaintiff. “Tell the woman to cover her face!”
“Cover your face woman!” ordered the clerk.
Fine. Face covered, I stated my case again.
“Tell her a woman’s voice should not be heard,” said the judge to the clerk.
Having had enough, face still covered I walked up to the judge and placed my client’s papers in front of him.
“Step back!” shouted the judge. “How dare you trespass God’s boundaries and approach me!”
“Women spoke directly to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and to the caliphs,” I retorted. “Surely, what of their abidance by God’s laws? Or are you better?”
I was shouted out and forcefully removed from court.
“Anyway, women — lawyer or not — are not allowed in here!” were the clerk’s last words.

And the "story" just goes on from there.

The woman ended with this:

So let me get this straight:
Only a man can bail a woman out of jail regardless of time served or paid fines.
Only a man can speak to and be seen by a judge.
Only a man can practice law.
Only a man can sell women’s lingerie.
Only a man can open a bank account for his child.
Only a man can check into a beach resort (regardless if the fact that women can check into hotels).
Only a man can rent a boat (ride) or jet-ski (in person or on paper).
Only a man can facilitate a woman’s traveling (in person or on paper).

BUT I’m allowed to drive? Must be a toy car, the wheel merely a pacifier?
All of the above is FACT. The only fiction is driving.
What illusive independence! Adults are we?
Driving: What is our God-given right and due?

Seems that Saudi women have more than just driving to over come in the equality department.

Now I wait for the posters that claim they wish their countries had these rules......

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Maybe they should do that over here some women are just menaces behind the wheel

2nd -----

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

What is it about these Muslim countries????????

By 'these Muslim countries', I assume you mean this Muslim country?

It just goes to show how primative and backward thinking that part of the world really is.

No, it goes to show how primitive and backward thinking is in that particular country.. Women can drive in most Muslim countries. Saudi is not representative of the majority of Muslim countries, I thought this had been established.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
This is just flabberghasting. Really, I find it hard to fathom living in a country where I would be told how to dress, educate, live, drive, and the law upholding the idea that whipping a woman for things that should be her right as a human being is just unbelievable! I would find my way out of that country

No, "flabbergasting" is the method for putting a fat person to death. This is iqal...whipping women for driving.

But you are right that it is wrong.

I expect humanity to stand up for itself. Until it does, I can do nothing. This just goes to show that every country has its own small minded rednecks to deal with. But I have learned that stepping in does nothing but make the situation worse for the person you mean to protect. if freedom is to be had, the person wanting it must be willing to fight for it themselves.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is pathetic and sadly its us Westerners that have to tolerate their culture and we will soon have this sort of thing back as everyday life soon

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I'd love to whip those cowardly mongrels! They are just scared their wives can out drive them! Bahahahahahahah! Cowardly! Are they not? Disgustingly shameful Sharia Law at it's finest! All you left wing Muslim sympathizers justify this! Where are you extremist defenders? Just more extremist Muslim trash! Wahhabism what a joke! What a disgraceful cowardly way of life! An insult to anything civilised! What is the problem with women driving? Seriously these people need to be eradicated! Nothing but oppression! Most on ATS would agree!
edit on 27-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I can't help but chuckle at some of the posts in this thread. So many people are quick to criticize someone elses cultural slight. Meanwhile your USA government has you paying the price to have people in other countries killed. Some of you let your sons and daughters join the armed forces, fully knowing the risks. Some of you work in Daddy Warbucks manufacturing & design plants, knowing well what those products are used for.

I'd rather get bopped in the head with a sash cord than travel thousands of miles to kill people i've never met, who don't want my American arse or my governments plans for democracy in their land. Maybe we should clean our own house before we go looking into someone elses window.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Those men are so full of fear. FEAR. They are terrified of everything about women, even their body functions.
Especially their bodies, their own biological God-given means to survive, driven by God-given hormones.
Why else keep women enslaved? Their own masculinity is so fragile, they cling to what little they have. They rationalize this oppression with what? Religion?

But there is nothing we can do except be supportive and offer encouragement. American women had to rise up and fight for their rights, and these women will have to do the same. Surely they can't kill them all.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

I'd rather get bopped in the head with a sash cord

I don't know if you are male or female. Why don't you go live there then? Or if you male send your sister or mother etc etc. I will lay money you don't! Too scared! Disgusting oppression on women!

I would rather be part of the "West" than these disgusting Sharia advocates!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

The very fact they have to enslave women with these disgusting oppressions and restrictive clothing says a lot about the moral standards of the men there!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

I reported their main page. They have a photo of a woman that has obviously been beaten up. I suggest we all report this please.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

They need more than reporting! Seriously what is the harm with women driving? has nothing to do with modesty. Evil!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by Aisling

They need more than reporting! Seriously what is the harm with women driving? has nothing to do with modesty. Evil!

I know. I feel helpless. I'm furious. Someone please tell me again how Islam has peaceful facets in their religion?
I am ignorant to Islam, but what I have seen are nothing but men who repress and abuse their women.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aisling

I reported their main page. They have a photo of a woman that has obviously been beaten up. I suggest we all report this please.

I would love to, but could someone post a link? The page is nowhere to be found..

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hindenburg

If that's how women are treated over there then I tell them move to Canada. I'll treat you well. No whips and chains for you here. Unless you like that.
You'll be able to do away with all that opression in your country. Come here and we will make you feel like women again.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

I am ignorant to Islam, but what I have seen are nothing but men who repress and abuse their women.

Islam is strange in that they have extremists and real moderates! The Muslims I know don't think that way and are actually embarrassed by these Wahhabi and pro Sharia Muslims extremists! They are equally as ambitious to rid this disease!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Well said! As famous Australian Bon Scott once said "They all need Lovin' "
edit on 27-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Are these men so pathetically insecure about their masculinity that a strong woman is some how a threat to it?

Seriously when I see a man try to control the women in his life like that I immediatley lose respect for him because it shows unbelievable weakness.

Well done Saudi Arabia you've just shown the world you're a nation of pussies. Strong men aren't afraid of strong women.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

“If women want any rights more than they's got, why don't they just take them, and not be talking about it.

These women have something to say......and the men better listen

Religion without humanity, is very poor stuff.

.....Sojourner Truth, USA, in a speech around 1830
edit on 5/27/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I can't believe what i see sometimes... and i don't know what else to say

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join