It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act Extension (H.R. 514): Who Voted and How

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antiquated1
He is just the first black one to do those thing but I know that has nothing to do with it.

I'm sure you had a valid point but then had to throw this tripe in to negate it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
well now matter who voted how it passed, signed by the POTUS and is now law, he used an auto pen, news.yahoo.com... from the link

With Obama currently in France, the White House said the president would use an autopen machine that holds a pen and signs his actual signature. It is only used with proper authorization of the president. Minutes before the midnight deadline, the White House said Obama had signed the bill.
is our tech not wonderful, the pres no longer needs to be in dc or at the Cap, just needs a pen to sign.

You mean if he was ever real to begin with. Has anyone actually met him? Seen Him in person? Does he have any paperwork to show he has a history.....JK

It is pretty cool. I like the remote surgery robots better though.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

try to engage the brain before you type.

Rand Paul is a US Senator from KY

Nancy Pelosi is a US Congresswoman fron CA

Ron Paul is a US Congressman from TX and he voted NO

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Does anyone have a list of the jackasses that abstained from such an important vote? It baffles me as to the legalities of abstaining from a vote. These people were elected to represent us...and many districts had zero representation on this vote.

Oh, how I wish I could just abstain from doing my job.....and still have a job after the fact.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread.... I would like to say a lot more, but I have to contact my congressman and tell him he will no longer be getting my support.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

thats a list of congressman , rand is a senator

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
I'm so proud of Oregon, only 1 representative voted for extension. What is confusing is that all the democrats in Oregon were against this, yet the so called single conservative voted in favor.

Yeah, funny trend...

Colorado
D1 N
D2 N
D3 Y

R1 Y
R2 Y
R3 Y
R4 ABSENT

My representative is a Democrat that voted No. He also just introduced legislation to help decriminalize marijuana. It's no coincidence that when we moved, it was from a Yes voting Republican's district to a No voting mj loving Democrat's district.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Here's my e-mail to Scott Rigell(R) Virginia 2nd

Mr. Rigell (actually the staffer who will read this and then discard it without Mr. Rigell ever seeing it),

I am a Conservative, and I believe in the Constitution and it's original intent and meaning as the founders wrote it, but it would appear that you do not. I voted for you in last November's election, although I must admit that I was hesitant to do so. I feared that you were just another "establishment RINO Republican", mainly because you did everything to dodge a question about social security being unconstitutional on a local radio show, but I still voted for you. Your vote of "yes" on the recent Patriot Act extension confirms to me why I hesitated. You are in gross violation of your oath of office, and because of that you will no longer get my support. Not only have you lost my support, but I will work tirelessly and diligently to see to it that this current term is the only one that you will ever serve.

Your vote of "yes" on the Patriot Act extension will help to destroy whatever is left of the 4th amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and for that you are no better than the likes of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and your predecessor Glenn Nye. You are an abomination to Constitutional Conservatives everywhere. I knew that I was right about you when you were campaigning last year, and this is one of the few times in my life where I wish that I had been wrong. The next time you are sitting around with all of the other freedom hating, progressive, elitist, ruling class degenerates that you call peers, have a round of 100 year old scotch on me.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Antiquated1

well good for you knowing that the auto pen has been used before, first time i have heard of it and i a m 45 years old wonder how many did not know about it??? and as far as being worried about , no not so just find it fascinating, that all one needs to do is just hold it.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
I'm so proud of Oregon, only 1 representative voted for extension. What is confusing is that all the democrats in Oregon were against this, yet the so called single conservative voted in favor.

What about that is confusing?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here's the NYT published list of the house vote;

House Vote 376 - To Extend Provisions of the Patriot Act

And the sentate vote;
Senate Vote #84 (May 26, 2011)

Most of the tea party freshmen voted Yea to keep the Patriot Act provisions for another 4 years. I'm not surprised, they were just Republicans masquerading as born-again libertarians. Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich kept true to their ethos and voted Nay. Too bad Rand Paul, after all his grandstanding, couldn't even convince his fellow Republican and Kentuckian Mitch McConnell to vote nay.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I think this vote, more than anything, illustrates what a fraud those 'tea party' candidates are. Where are all their apologists now?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The Caucus claims that this was the first time that Obama (or any POTUS) had used the autopen to sign a bill into law.

White House officials said this was the first time that Mr. Obama had used the autopen to sign a piece of legislation and added that the administration believed it was the first time that a president had used the device to turn a bill into law.

Some would say that it's a non-issue and I'm not sure that I disagree, but what makes me a little queasy about it is this:

And there are times when presidents are eager to stage elaborate signing ceremonies to highlight legislation that they have pushed for.

So, the antithesis of that statement is, "Let's just slide the signing of this heinous legislation under the radar as quietly as we can while we're off in France and the American public are busy making their Memorial Day preparations."

...and it worked. A dollar to anyone can find this story in MSM a week from now.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Again, the autopen is a non-issue, the only reason it was used is because Obama is not in the country, and the bill had to be signed before midnight on the 26th or it would have expired. Usually the only time you see presidents sitting down to sign a bill with hoopla and fanfare is when they're major pieces of new legislation, and not when they're extensions of existing legislation attached as a rider to a small business bill. Obama had no control over when this bill would be passed, and delays by Paul pushed it to the last minute, after he had left for his UK trip.

The issue should be who voted to extend it. While Obama and Reid have earned their share of blame for that, just look at the voting record to see how the bill fell along party lines and decide whose for big government.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by graceunderpressure

The issue should be who voted to extend it. While Obama and Reid have earned their share of blame for that, just look at the voting record to see how the bill fell along party lines and decide whose for big government.

This is what sorta shocked me as well. I was taken aback by how scattered the actual voting was. It seemed like it really did not matter what letter came after your name, both D's and R's voted both for and against this thing (with the majority obviously voting FOR). And then PELOSI voted nay. I bet some Republican heads exploded when they saw that!
edit on 27-5-2011 by BiggyMcBigPants because: changed up wording mildly

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
glad to see my rep. rehberg making the right vote...Rehberg is a good man and i'm glad he represents montana...he's got a good head on his shoulders...can't say the same for half the other state rep's though

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Don't forget that the Constitution also demands of the government to provide for our "general welfare" before you get to upset at the congressmen.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Weren't they already doing that prior to the Patriot Act, or supposed to be at least? If not, then why wasn't this implemented years ago? If so, why did this need implementing?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join