It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowing of the Levee and Flooding Brings Forth A Serious Pest!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

No I can't stand for that! When I was told what these things were and what they were capable of there was no way I was leaving them out there!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This thread was so important to me that I signed up for the site....

Know this...

Sand fleas transmit a parasite in the middle east...google it!

I believe it is russian sage/russian lavendar that is currently being used here in the u.s. for landscaping, that is used to both ward off the fly and to cure the infection...

As far as the pain from the bite...look up 'sweet clover'.

I made a tincture of this and now use it on bug bite, bruises, injuries, arthritis, pimples, etc!

Mix it in an aroma therapy loction from bed and bath and your are on your way to relief and prevention.

some sites have a warning that is not really necessary being it is not being ingested and are misleading at best...

I always check every word I don';t know by google-ing it and I find a world of information.

Yes it has coumarine...that becomes coumadin under certain circumstances.

Wiki coumarine...it is NOT a blood thinner but can become it....

putting sweet clover on a bug bite will not thin your blood! have some common sense.

so stop the sand fleas/flys by using any bed bug repelent, like russian sage...watch for signs of skin parasites(google this)
relieve itching with topical sweet clover tincture...then get inside relief of irratations by drinking/bathing in a broth of stinging nettle....works every time! better than oatmeal...20 minutes soak, go straight to bed.

information given here is available on the internet and is not given as medical advice.

I have used all these things for similar purposes with great success, do your own research to confirm this

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ClearlyCrystal

Thank you so much for this information! I will tell my brother too as he is suffering from the bites of these creatures! He couldn't even go to work today! I have never seen anything like this!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Maybe whoever prophesied the swarm of locusts didnt realise they were seeing sand flies...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

en.wikipedia.org...

skin disease carried by these flies...wonder if that will happen in the flood zone?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
www.medicinenet.com...

information onthe disease

remember you can insist on testing...

you are your own best case worker

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This is such an important thread, it is such a serious year for insects the biggest worry for me is the secret toxic spraying they will do to combat it. I need to reread this entire thread and visit all the links, I do like the natural ways best and find them the only things I can bring myself to use on property, kids and animals.

Thanks for the headsup, hope your family gets better soon.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is such an important thread, it is such a serious year for insects the biggest worry for me is the secret toxic spraying they will do to combat it. I need to reread this entire thread and visit all the links, I do like the natural ways best and find them the only things I can bring myself to use on property, kids and animals.

Thanks for the headsup, hope your family gets better soon.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Haven't had your problem (I live in SC) but I have a suggestion that has worked wonders with another flying pest... Listerine. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it anywhere you want to. It doesn't stain fabric, or strip paint, or leave a residue. It kills insects instantly. It kills even head lice. It won't poison your pets or children (well... don't give them a glass full of it to drink, mind you!)

I had an infestation of tiny moths taking up residence in my pantry... getting into everything. I misted all inside it, and never saw them again. I misted all around my deck and the outside door frame and got rid of tiny flying gnat-like critters. They stayed away for 3 months. I figure if you can gargle with it, it's better than using Raid or some other lethal poison.

Give it a try and let me know how it works on your pesky insects!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

i think you may be mistaken in using the term fruit fly. Fruit flies are completely benign. They don't bite, and only bother you by flying around food.

Also, they would be nearly impossible to bother one in an outside environment, unless you were in a bin of old rotten fruit (and at that point you may have bigger problems :lol

en.wikipedia.org...

to the op, Good luck..i hate flying pests. try some natural repellants, nature has a way of providing ...yin and yang

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Sounds nasty swarms of flies is not something to treat to lightly especially the ones that spreed parasites, diseases, and lay eggs in your skin and any crevice they can get into.

Always hatted swarms of anything especially flies. Heres a vid from animal planet about a swarm problem in Africa and what they can do, even the harmless ones that dont spreed parasites are not good.

My advice get a flamethrower find a clear field and burn away if it gets bad. I know, I know not good advice.

Ok you can always go to your nearest home utility store, or search online for info and see what they have out there that can help you deal with the pests. Or if you are bored and have some hairspray laying around and a lighter or a barbecue lighter you can make your own little mini flamethrower, it wont do that much in terms of limiting there population but its always fun toasting the little buggers if they swarm you while outdoors doing house chores.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
If your hungry just drop a few drops of tabasco sauce in your mouth and run at the swarm with your mouth open and try to eat as many as you can. The hot sauce will make them taste a lot better. Its good food. All the other animals do it so why cant we

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
If your hungry just drop a few drops of tabasco sauce in your mouth and run at the swarm with your mouth open and try to eat as many as you can. The hot sauce will make them taste a lot better. Its good food. All the other animals do it so why cant we
You first!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

LOL. Ok I just did it. Your turn lol
Dont say pix or it didnt happen.

Yea this bug thing is prolly due to the fact its wetland area, and now its summer. Its a bug combination.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
What you have sounds alot like the Buffalo Gnats we have here. Spring into Summer, They swarm our eyes, ears, and try to go down our throat. We have to either wear a bug net, or spray with Buggins Gnat spray.

They kill our chickens, wild turkeys, even baby eagles. We never even had them until four years ago.

If you want to try a spray that works on our gnat, We mix vanilla, rubbing alcohol, and water, put it in a spritz bottle and use when needed. It cant hurt to try it, anyway, good luck!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
That's horrible, I feel so bad for any of you having to deal with flooding, tornado's and now this. I wouldn't normally be for chemical anything but you all have enough to deal with and you're not going to have crops this year anyway so I really hope they spray and give you all some relief. Wishing all of you well, and a swift recovery to your brother Greenize.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Could be the dreaded Noseeums...they are closely related to Sand Flies and the likes and leave big ol welts like your describing. Read the wiki here and let me know what you think. They are really tiny and so hard to see but often swarm which explains why your getting lots of bites. They live near water and in shrubs and such. I have found nothing in my experience to combat these things either...hope the other ideas posted in this thread help you I'd love to know if they do.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join