It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pittsburgh to pay $170K to settle G-20 suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

The city of Pittsburgh and its insurance company agreed to pay $170,000 to settle a lawsuit with a man who said police fractured his knee during the 2009 Group of 20 international economic summit, a city official said Wednesday.

Frank Beal, 58, of Point Breeze, agreed to dismiss his federal lawsuit Tuesday. Dan Regan, Pittsburgh solicitor, said today that the lawsuit settled and the $170,000 will come from an insurance policy.

"The city and the insurance carrier felt it was reasonable and prudent to settle the case," Regan said. "We met with council in executive session and a majority consented to the settlement."

Regan said the city is not admitting any wrongdoing with the settlement.

Beal sued in August, claiming police broke his kneecap after repeatedly striking it with a baton, according to his lawsuit. Beal's lawsuit named the city, a Harrisburg police officer the city hired to work the security detail and several other unidentified police officers as defendants.

Beal claimed he was walking toward an Oakland street corner on Sept. 24, 2009, when a Harrisburg officer and several others grabbed him from behind, forced him to the ground, sprayed pepper spray in the his face, smacked his face on the sidewalk and repeatedly struck him on his right knee and shin with a police baton, according to his lawsuit.

"He was watching the G-20 as a witness," said Sam Hens-Greco, one of Beal`s attorneys. "Here`s a guy you want to be your neighbor. He lives in the city. He works in the city. We believe the police actions were inappropriate and unreasonable. He stood up for his rights."

Ever wonder why a whole lot of towns and cities are going broke. I believe this is a big reason right here. Out of control police, injuring and maiming people, then the town and department getting their asses handed to them in lawsuits...

Imagine how much better our budgets would be without this crap being allowed to go on? I am sure every time a suit gets settled or won, the insurance jumps up substantially, like when you get in an auto accident, they raise premiums.

Reign the police in, it has to be done, for our safety, and for our budgets sake.

Source
edit on Thu, 26 May 2011 20:09:13 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This makes my evening.Thanks for posting it....But until the cop himself is held responsible and made to pay out of his or her own pocket it want stop..Take a few of their homes and cars and bank accounts and then it may have an effect....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Absolutely. On one hand, I am damn glad that compensation is being given. On the other hand, it is coming out of taxpayers wallets, who had nothing to do with it. We need to find a way to punish the jerks that give these orders' pockets, as well as those following orders from retards. I can hope at least.

new topics

join