It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress approves extension of expiring Patriot Act provisions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

try politifact then

There's a whole bunch of things he said whilst campaigning. Numbers 2, 3 and 4 will give you a good idea of what Obama did actually discuss in his presidential campaign.

Then you should know he NEVER PROMISED TO REPEAL THE PATRIOT ACT AS PRESIDENT.

I didnt vote for the guy, and wont in 2012, but he's kept far more promises than he's broken. It's just that those who are pre-disposed to dislike him for largely partisan reasons like to claim he promised all sorts of things he never actually promised.

And the purpose of their inaccurate claims is it deflects from the fact that the GOP are all lining up to support this crap.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Republicans:
- 196 Yeas
- 31 Nays

Democrats:
- 54 Yeas
- 122 Nays

Extending the patriot act was overwhelmingly approved by Republicans. They could have easily blocked it but didn't.

House Vote 376 - To Extend Provisions of the Patriot Act
edit on 26-5-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

Which is why this thread is all about 'blaming obama'.

Because they dont want anyone to notice that.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

and by extension of your point I'd like to bring attention to the democratic numbers......who's for big government now?

Umm, I thought it was the GOP who were against 'big government'??

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

The writ of habeus corpus.......but the patriot act didn't.....He did say he'd revisit it.He never said he'd end it, but the things he was supposed to revisit, apparently weren't that important I guess.

I never said he did, I linked to stuff he actually did discuss. Make no mistake though, I don't for a second think this would have failed in a democrat controlled house either. In fact I think that's already happened.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The reasoning behind requiring a person by oath or affirmation, to seek a judge to issue warrants, which invade privacy and the very things the Bill of Rights protect, as the "RIGHT of a person to be secure in their persons and homes;" and is "no-sauce" for the goose or gander. But protects US, in more ways than one.

You see, when a law as the "Patriot Act," by-passes reasonable avenues to secure freedoms, which by right are guaranteed, in the Bill of Rights, it distorts the "living intent" and subverts people's rights. To with-hold the "secretive workings" of the act which allows investigations of people into personal records and effects in their own homes and person, surely flies-in-the-face of "good faith." And violates the public trust in a "Right," which is guaranteed.

The "propaganda" which promotes the "Patriot Act," as something keeping us all safe, not only injures countless millions, guaranteed of a "Right," is not only shameful, and another side-effect is the "Patriot Act" actually removes a person or persons participation in-keeping the country safe by civic involvement.

This "Act," steps-in and covertly infringes upon a "Right," guaranteed and goes even further to crumble the inalienable status given by God.

When politicians are able to enact laws designed to protect by limiting or removing altogether, no doubt should remain in a reasonable person's mind whether they have lost a fundamental right or not.

Do we work hard and follow the "equitable and honored rules and protocols" established as an inalienable "Right," by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, or subscribe to propaganda and peer-pressure of being labeled "unpatriotic?"

When it all is brought into the light, everyone can plainly "see" that it stinks to high-heaven and should be removed and replaced or edited with sensible framing which preserves guaranteed rights; and I think a vast majority will agree with this stance.

The "Paranoid Patriot Act," must be looked-at and the offensive portions removed. It's "Our" Right, after-all, and as the light of it all comes into day, the acknowledgement of such inalienable rights negate anything to the contrary.

I have concluded that Congress (majority of them) do not represent the people's will or act in accordance to their wishes. I posit that paranoia exists in both parties, both Democrats and Republicans and consider myself belonging to neither; and even the Independent Party does not share the same views as I do. So the disenfranchised, as I, do not have a "voice" or "vote" since either can be as carelessly disregarded without any repercussions to the contrary.

When Congress is "elevated" above being "average citizens," who share common beliefs and reasonable attitudes and enjoys privileges unavailable to any citizen, as their premium-grouped healthcare and perks, those in Congress cease to be "like us" and become as "elitists," segregated from the common public.

The freedoms of speech and belief have become as frail versions of the intents of the founding fathers, to only appear to be fundamental, but instead are frail and pale-shelter to "guaranteed fundamental rights," guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. When people can be jailed and imprisoned without regard to any fundamental right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, is tantamount to slavery and equity in representation is deemed a total failure.

When the first link of the chain is forged, the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. As wisdom and warning, the first time any man’s freedom is trodden-on, we’re all damaged.
You’d think we’ve come so far, torture of heretics, burning of witches, in all ancient history. Then, if we even blink an eye, suddenly it threatens to start all-over again; spreading fear in the name of righteousness.
- Jean Luc Picard

edit on 26-5-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The American Eagle needs two wings to fly. Both wings are a corrupt, treasonous group of criminals. There is no two party choice, it's one party and the sooner the rest of the sheep realize this - the better. This Patriot Act has nothing to do with anything patriotic. It is an assault on our rights, and we are losing more every time these SOB's renew it. How much more will the citizens of America take? Everything is going to hell, and civil war seems likely in the next few years. What a great outlook.

Get on the train, we'll take you to a nice camp...showers are over there.

just a rant. Really, really sick of this police state crap.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
There is a huge population of paranoid geriatrics who fear phantoms across the world (just got shouted down by a dozen of them this afternoon who insist I don't understand the threat against the country) and there is a population of children just hitting voting age who have never known an America without the Patriot Act.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
That coming of age group is VERY smart though, as much as we think they are just more of the same, I think once they start into the working class and really start paying attention, they will notice how robbed of a future they are with this economy and social set up.

I agree. That's one reason among many why I don't care what Congress does anymore, and consider it more or less ineffectual to me.

The people in power now are already on the run, and they know it. Even the CFR is concerned about a mass global awakening, as they put it themselves, and we're talking Rockefeller and all his old cronies from all spectrums of power. There is nothing that anyone can do to stop such a thing once you realize what it truly is.

It may as well be human instinct, or history repeating itself, or what you like, but it's a fire that can't be easily snuffed by any means. I have a great deal of hope in our future despite what the cowardly fat cats are still doing in Washington. They'll be doing it up until the very day they're thrown out on their asses.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
is it just me but the fact that they could have obama sign it from france with an autopen machine that holds a pen and signs his actual signature. that machine just sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is the norm now.

There is a huge population of paranoid geriatrics who fear phantoms across the world (just got shouted down by a dozen of them this afternoon who insist I don't understand the threat against the country) and there is a population of children just hitting voting age who have never known an America without the Patriot Act.

We're a minority who are insignificant to the people wielding the power.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Couldn't have said it better...How disappointing. Ron Paul gave us warning after warning, one of the last few representatives that actually stand up for our constitutional rights. It's disheartening to say the least.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Obama signs 4-year Patriot Act extension in France

With An Auto Pen

"With Obama currently in France, the White House said the president would use an autopen machine that holds a pen and signs his actual signature. It is only used with proper authorization of the president. Minutes before the midnight deadline, the White House said Obama had signed the bill."Obama said he was pleased the act had been extended"

I hope this bill was not rushed on the account that he wanted to sign it in France while having a dignitary meeting .

I never seen a bill pass so fast and signed like this before . Since it was signed on foreign soil does this count with an auto pen. where are the birthers at? lets hope there was a pen failure

edit on 27-5-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
And the purpose of their inaccurate claims is it deflects from the fact that the GOP are all lining up to support this crap.

Since when are we not supposed to look at complete records of votes and statements to form rational expectations of performance?

If we're weighing short-term campaigning promises against long-term history which is more valuable in determining character and reasonable future positions?

Besides, accusing deflection for one side or another is itself deflection.

Focusing on the single digit difference in "Nay" votes between the two tyrant heads is ignoring the simple and absolute fact that both OVERWHELMINGLY voted "Yea."

One totalitarian regime cramming corporate fascism down our throats.

But I suppose that's just me "deflecting" because I oh, so love one tyrant over the other for some ridiculous reason.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hmmm what an interesting "coincidence" here we have public enemy #1 Osama Bin finally being "killed" after a decade long "hunt" and wouldn't ya know it....it just so happens right before the patriot act (which I even hate calling it as there is absolutely NOTHING patriotic about it) comes due for renewal.

Can anyone say "See...it was the patriot act that enabled us to finally put an end to Osama Bin (after we milked it for all it's worth to the very end) and that is why we need to keep it going so that blah blah blah". We the American people were, and are STILL being played like a fiddle plain and simple and it is sad

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A liveblogger was there covering Congress and wrote about what passed and didn't pass in Congress on May 26th. I'm not up on all the topics he discussed, but here are a few tidbits of what he witnessed...A very good read, if only to see what a mess Congress can get the US into today!

US Congress Backs America's "Eternal War"

11:02 Amendment #55 - Rep Jim McGovern proposes this amendment on Afghanistan. This is the very weakest conceivable sign of a congressional pulse. This is one of those amendments through which Congress would ask its executive to please come up with a plan of some sort, any sort, to get out of Afghanistan. This doesn't cut off the funds or set an end date or anything of the sort. Nor does it impose any penalty on the President if he does not set a goal to get out. Nor does it prevent him setting the goal of getting out in 136 years. Nor does it address the fact that the President has repeatedly and publicly promised a significant start of a withdrawal this July and now backed off on that in the form of leaks from the military to the effect that 2.5 percent of forces (5,000 of 200,000 troops and contractors) will come home.

The pointlessness and rhetorical nature of this amendment, its handing of decision-making power to the president, makes it the most likely remotely decent amendment to pass. But passing the Senate and the President is another matter. If by some miracle this passes the House, the Senate will reject it. If not, the President will veto or signing-statement it, without consequence. But I say Vote Yes. Without that, there's no sign of a pulse. Congress is dead when even a rhetorical gesture in the direction of someday doing what two-thirds of Americans want now can't be allowed.

11:11 Rep. Mike Conaway says success is just around the corner in Afghanistan but fragile and reversible. Rep. Randy Forbes says we must "win" in Afghanistan. But this amendment is so weak that Rep. Steny Hoyer is now speaking in support of it. Here's the text of the bill that this amendment is based on. It's so weak that Rep. Nancy Pelosi is now speaking in support of it. Pelosi just claimed that for 7 years Bush had no plan for Afghanistan, but Obama immediately had one and now has one, and therefore we should pass this amendment to require that Obama have a plan.

11:32 Rep. Mac Thornberry says bringing troops home endangers them, and it's important for the world and our enemies to not know whether we will stay in Afghanistan forever or not.

11:34 Vote on Amendment 55 postponed.

11:35 A lot of bad amendments brought up as a block, including, I think, these: 70, 74, 85, 86, 87, 88, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 101, 102, 104, 105. Amendment #70 would make "direct use solar energy" count as a renewable resource for purposes of DOD getting 25% of its energy from such sources in 2025. What is THAT about, "direct" as in the energy that keeps all materials from freezing each day??

Amendment 95 would move Troops to Teachers program from the Dept. of Education to the Dept. of "Defense." What could go wrong there?

11:48 That block of amendments passed.

12:06 a new block of amendments brought up for a vote: 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 135, 137, 138, 139, 140, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147.
Amendment #132 would address NORTHCOM, the U.S. military in the United States, to work with state and local "authorities." Work on WHAT?!
Amendment #136 would let the Secretary of "Defense" "loan" "equipment" to other nations sort of like he's already been doing with Libya?.
Amendment #139 would require the president to make up a list of places to consider bombing, er, excuse me, a list of "potential safe havens for al Qaeda".

12:15 That block of amendments passed.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Great the Patriot act got past.
But what about the provision to authorize worldwide war without further congressional authorization?

I think RP sums it up.

I dont think it matters to yell "Wake up" to anyone anymore.
This game is lost.

The only real question is,what now?

There will be know happy ending.
These laws that have been put into place,only need be acted upon.
And that will be the end.
The vase majority of people DONT CARE,as long as their little bubble in the world isnt effected,they are content.

People in the U.S ar elike that frog in the boiling pot,as long as the masses are screwed slowly,they wont care.
And when they finally do,it isnt going to matter.

People thinking the masses are going to take to the streets are fools.
You are the minority.

Im being a realist,u need only look at the new threads about events going on.
Texas/TSA,fail
The marine who gets shot 21 times by swat,fail
4th amendment,fail
Patriot Act,fail

Any hopes of the masses waking up?FAIL

The Patriot Act is the new constitution.
Your "rights & freedoms" are now endowd to you by government.

ATS is becoming Americas recording of its death throws.
But I guess keeping records of a lost civilization is a good thing.
Cause America as the world once knew is just about done.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join