It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress approves extension of expiring Patriot Act provisions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Congress approves extension of expiring Patriot Act provisions

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. House followed the Senate on Thursday in voting to extend three key provisions of the Patriot Act scheduled to expire at midnight, sending the measure to President Barack Obama to be signed into law.

By a 250-153 vote, the Republican-led House agreed to extend the expiring provisions of the law passed after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. They deal with roving wiretaps, the tracking of alleged "lone wolf" terrorists and the ability of law enforcement officials to obtain any records they deem relevant to an investigation after securing an order from
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well that's not surprising at all.

So much for transparency in government eh?

More from the article:

Earlier, Paul reached a deal with Senate leaders to allow votes on whether to table two of his amendments. Both amendments failed, and the subsequent Senate vote on the measure to extend the Patriot Act provisions for four years passed easily on a 72-23 vote.

The House vote was tighter, with lawmakers on the right and left opposing an extension for various reasons. For example, some members of Congress are concerned about the law's impact on civil liberties, while others support the law but think it should be made permanent.

Thoughts?

Funny how there was no national conversation about these provisions, at least none that I remember seeing. Sad that government over reach of this proportion is considered the norm, so much that it doesn't get national media attention.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/26/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is the norm now.

There is a huge population of paranoid geriatrics who fear phantoms across the world (just got shouted down by a dozen of them this afternoon who insist I don't understand the threat against the country) and there is a population of children just hitting voting age who have never known an America without the Patriot Act.

We're a minority who are insignificant to the people wielding the power.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Gee it just passed the senate 3 hours ago!

When was the last time they passed something that fast? When it's time to destroy the constitution, they move fast as lightning.

All of those who voted for this are traitors. They broke their oath of office of supporting the constitution and the bill of rights.

WHAT THE STINKING POLICE IS DOING? ARREST THEM FOR TREASON. NOW.

Or start citizen arresting all congress people who voted for it.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
All we have to do is wait. Obama will do the right thing here and veto those extensions, and then declare the entire thing unconstitutional and abolish it, too. I have faith that he'll come through.

/TOA

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

That the best sarcasm I've read all day

Yeah, this whole fiasco is ridiculous, can't wait for you all to get a real leader. Methinks maybe the country needs to fall down a tad before that can happen though.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That coming of age group is VERY smart though, as much as we think they are just more of the same, I think once they start into the working class and really start paying attention, they will notice how robbed of a future they are with this economy and social set up.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

thanks for posting,
I been curious as to how this was gonna turn out...

It was what I had expected...

I love my country...
I love the ideology behind its founding...

But I have no faith in those jerks in Hollywood...
errr....
I mean Washington...

sorry i get the two confused...
Actors and Politicians... one in the same...
they both get in front of a camera and pretend to be somebody else...

SnF

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Here is list of who voted, all the YEAS are traitors to the Constitution.

clerk.house.gov...

edit on 26-5-2011 by cavrac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
All we have to do is wait. Obama will do the right thing here and veto those extensions, and then declare the entire thing unconstitutional and abolish it, too. I have faith that he'll come through.

You know some Obama supporters believe this garbage.

Eh after all, Obama is a ``constitutional scholar``! Doesn't matter that most legislation the feds are passing is unconstitutional... since Obama signs it, it must be constitutional! Trust the great leader Obama!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavrac
Here is list of who voted, all the YEAS are traitors to the Constitution.

clerk.house.gov...

edit on 26-5-2011 by cavrac because: (no reason given)

I am truly shocked and appalled. Rep. Louie Gohmert, my district Representative voted "Yea". He has been a person in the past that stood for freedom and liberty. I actually feel betrayed right now.

/TOA
edit on 26-5-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
No different than Bush/Cheney.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Republicans:
- 196 Yeas
- 31 Nays

Democrats:
- 54 Yeas
- 122 Nays

Extending the patriot act was overwhelmingly approved by Republicans. They could have easily blocked it but didn't.

House Vote 376 - To Extend Provisions of the Patriot Act
edit on 26-5-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

and by extension of your point I'd like to bring attention to the democratic numbers......who's for big government now?

It's like the party stances are just words they say as if no one is paying attention.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Its a fake display of democracy. These power-grabs are a foregone conclusion.No way this is what the people want. The people were not represented.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Digital_Reality because: ughhh

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The People are not being listened too, and voting makes no difference.

Obama campaigned on the promise to end the "criminal" (his word) aspects of the Patriot Act, yet continues to call for it's extension.

Bush is the reason it exists.

Bachman spent 5 minutes explaining why she voted for it, while admitting she had received feedback urging a "nay" vote.

Roughly 30 Reps. felt this wasn't important enough to bother voting on, or didn't have the courage to attach their name, one way or the other.

I am truly convinced that revolt is becoming the only remaining option.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I see a of of criticism of Obama. No one pointing out the 'tea party' GOP, minus Rand's token gesture, seemed to pass this with no problem.

Also, can someone show me where it was that Obama promised to repeal the Patriot Act, as many in this thread are claiming? Or was that one of those imaginary promises h never actually made like 'end all wars forever'?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Reply to post by incrediblelousminds

"Yes, I would vote to repeal the U.S. Patriot Act, although I would consider replacing that shoddy and dangerous law with a new, carefully crafted proposal that addressed in a much more limited fashion the legitimate needs of law enforcement in combating terrorism (for example, permitting a warrant for the interception of cell phone calls, and not just land-based phones to accommodate changes in technology".

Mobile wipes the paste when I go to put the link in.

Just google the first line of the quote for sources galore.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I see. So you are referring to a statement he made in 2003 as a senator, and not his 2008 Presidential CAMPAIGN promise made to "revisit the PATRIOT Act to ensure that there is real and robust oversight of tools like National Security Letters, sneak-and-peek searches, and the use of the material witness provision."

Based on the statements made in this thread, it would appear people are under the false impression he campaigned to end it as President, which he never promised.

So will you all be supporting all these GOP folks who voted to continue it too?

edit on 26-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

try politifact then

There's a whole bunch of things he said whilst campaigning. Numbers 2, 3 and 4 will give you a good idea of what Obama did actually discuss in his presidential campaign.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join