It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC rules: Net Phone Calls Must Be Able to Be Tapped

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Looks like Big Brother is at it again.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Internet phone carriers such as Vonage should set up their systems so U.S. law enforcers can monitor suspicious calls, the Federal Communications Commission (news - web sites) tentatively ruled on Wednesday.

By a vote of 5-0, the FCC (news - web sites) said "voice over Internet protocol," or VoIP, providers should be subject to the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, which ensures that law enforcers will be able to keep up with changing communications technologies.

VoIP service is likely to replace much traditional phone service over the coming years, the commission said

Reuters

[edit on 4-8-2004 by KillerD]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Underground or encrypted VOIP will become the norm if this occurs. The government isnt powerful enough to shut all the doors on any internet service. It just wouldnt have the man power or the money to do it.

- Was

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The same reason I keep an old copy of the old MS Bamba Phone install program ... IP to IP without needing a relay server.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
The same reason I keep an old copy of the old MS Bamba Phone install program ... IP to IP without needing a relay server.

Can you still get that program somewhere?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillerD

Not that I know of, I grabbed it off a server in Germany a week after MS pulled it, and replaced it with their newer 'relayed' version.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley

Originally posted by KillerD

Not that I know of, I grabbed it off a server in Germany a week after MS pulled it, and replaced it with their newer 'relayed' version.

Darn. Thanks anyway

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have had some luck using Kazaa to find old software like this. Maybe someone with it would be kind enough to put it out for everyone to download.

- Was

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
did you check cnet.com?

new topics

top topics

join