It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seismologists Tried for Manslaughter for Not Predicting Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is completely nuts. It has been well known that as of now earthquakes are unpredictable. These men are being blamed for the deaths of 300 people because they failed to alert the public about an earthquake that was coming.

The group of seven, including six seismologists and a government official, reportedly didn't alert the public ahead of time of the risk of the L'Aquila earthquake, which occurred on April 6 of that year, killing around 300 people, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"We're not able to predict earthquakes very well at all," John Vidale, a Washington State seismologist and professor at the University of Washington, told LiveScience

Some people said the committee should've seen it coming, because of the earthquake swarms that occurred days before the big one struck, Vidale said.
\

This is just crazy, if these men can be tried for manslaughter because they did not make a prediction, then surely the people that do make a prediction and cause mass panic injury and death are just as responsible and should be put on trial for crimes commited because of their prediction. Full article can be found here.

www.livescience.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Who is bringing the charges?

This is disqusting. The blame culture in this day and age is getting out of hand.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LondonerBLV

Here is the answer to your question from the article.

The decision to try the six members of a committee tasked with determining the risk of an earthquake in the area (along with a government official) was announced on Wednesday (May 25) by Judge Giuseppe Romano, according to a news article from the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I predict that there will be an earthquake off or near the east coast of Honshu, Japan today and possibly another one tomorrow
edit on 26/5/11 by feoil because: syntax

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
quite possibly maybe they had warning ala their instruments beeping and whooping they had one coming and decided for whatever reason's that they didnt have to warn the public........

then someone finds out they knew it was coming in maybe ten minutes and did nothing , so they slapped em with manslaughter

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ok so can we predict earthquakes or not ?!

Surely this cannot stand up in a court of law

How long before something like this happens to NASA (for not warning of an NEO whch changes trajectory into the planet at the 11th hour)

I hope they counter sue

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MachiventaMelchizedek

According to the article, there were earthquake swarms from previous days that they say should have alerted the seismologists that a big one was coming. The seismologists said that they get swarms all the time without a big quake and that there was nothing strange about this swarm. Click on the link and read the full article, it is very interesting read and should answer most of your questions.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If that's the case then the hundreds of people within our government who knew about the "terrorists" involved in 9/11 before the attack happened but did nothing to warn us should be tried for murder, because they could have prevented the deaths of over 2000 people.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Yeah I totally agree, if this case goes the distance than anyone who had previous knowledge of something that causes a death needs to be put on trial. The weird thing is, is that these seismologist did not have specific knowledge, the people just assumed they should have known. The whole thing is just crazy to me.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Out of control ``justice`` with the seismologists, and no justice AT ALL with the bankers, politicians and cops...what a world we live in.

I hope the next judge kills this case fast like it should be.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Know who should be charged with manslaughter?

That ``Camping`` guy who predicted the end of the world for May 21. Because of this prick's stunt to sell a book, a 14 years old kid in Russia hanged herself.

Charge him with manslaughter.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Absolutely agree with you, the weekend of the 21 was horrible for me at work, and it was the fear that he caused that made it that way.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Just think of the lawsuits that would come out of this website. WOW!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SunburnedLeader

or nobel prizes and awards

I most certainly hope this ridiculous lawsuit will not be going anywhere but then again, it is America.

Michael Jordan Look-A-Like Sues Former NBA Star

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
as far as earthquake prediction goes, i think this geologist is really onto something

www.youtube.com...

edit on 5/26/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SunburnedLeader

Yeah no kidding. I am going to be keeping an eye on how this whole thing plays out.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If they could of predicted it and did not they they ought to be up on charges.

If they couldn't know at all then this whole thing is ridiculous.

Let's see what happens.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Here is a bit of an updated story.

www.foxnews.com...

Judge Giuseppe Romano Gargarella said that the seven defendants had supplied "imprecise, incomplete and contradictory information," in a press conference following a meeting held by the committee 6 days before the quake, reported the Italian daily Corriere della Sera

If this actually gets to trial it will be one of the craziest trials i have seen. I will be keeping a close eye on this and will update here as new things come in.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
BTW.. who orderd to build an city on an fractal zone....?????????

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Wow, this is just ridiculous. I see no way, they will get convicted.... I mean, come one... They were doing there jobs and Earthquakes are NOT easy to predict... Why not blame the technology they had to work with?

Why not try the Earth for manslaughter? It makes just as much sense.

Well, I guess everyone who is a seismologist better cover themselves by saying " I predict that there will be an earthquake, some where, sometime.... Then they can't get in trouble right?
edit on 27-5-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join