It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA is under fire for high suicide rate in veterans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

VA is under fire for high suicide rate in veterans

www.stltoday.com

With veterans now accounting for one of every five suicides in the nation, the Department of Veterans Affairs is under pressure from the courts and Congress to fix its mental health services in an attempt to curb the death toll."The suicide rate is out of control. It's epidemic proportions right now," said Paul Rieckhoff, the executive director of the group Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. "There are very few programs that are effective, and there's a serious lack of national awareness."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hamptonroads.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Geeze. I hope this a wake up call. This is not OK & our vets do deserve better!

The invisible wounds of war are the worst & most graphic wounds of war.

I don't what the answers are. I can say that the folks at the VA are overwhelmed with the influx of vets, over worked, & trying their best.

www.stltoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

agreed. the VA where I go is a wonderful place. I one needed help all you have to do is ask. they are great people who work there and from what I see they really care..........I care about them too. they do the best they can and I have never been turned away and when I make a need known.........I usually get it in a timely manner.........Plus the VA is the end of the line.....what about the military screening those who leave....for suicide............I mean the active duty side gets some responsibility.....RIGHT?!! How is it the VA's fault...............I am not sure I agree with this stance. Of course more can be done always........but the active duty side is the real culprit and they dont' want the bad press....................

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What is the proportion of vets to the rest of the population in terms of age, gender, income groups?

It's one thing for vets to be 1/5th of suicides.....it's anothe thing entirely if non-vets with simlar demographics (except ffor being vets) has a similar rate.

Dunno if this is the case or not....but it seems that not all potentially relevant information is in the article to conclude that this is a specific vet problem.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

There is a stigma that comes with PTSD or depression. It's also considered career ending if you seek help.

Oh, the various commands say that there will be no repercussions for those who seek help but there usually is. It can make for tough times on the service member trying to go it alone. And going to the various programs are not anonymous. Word gets out.

Couple that with high unemployment and employers who are afraid to hire veterans, the prescription medications that many take to deal with their injuries, either physical or psychological.

Wives or Husbands who leave them for various issues which are too many to list. It’s always a individual case by case.

Add the above and a weak mind (quite possibly because of the meds) who sees no way out, and we have a recipe for tragedy.

The numbers are too high in my opinion and more really does need to done, but there are a lot of feel good stories out there as well. Check out the Wounded Warrior Project. Just one of many who continue to help those who served.

My only gripe with the VA is, HOLY SMOKES! They are slow. But they are also thorough. I can live with that.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well the problem I think the VA is facing is this constant flux of veterans seeking services. And from what I last heard the VA is somewhat undermanned.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone at the VA has gone over the financial costs if these people were to stay alive, and provide them with mental health treatment and disability pay over years or decades. It definitely would add considerably to the massive debt that all these services create.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

I'm pretty sure they have. Why do you think it took so long for them to acknowledge Agent Orange and the Gulf War syndrome. PTSD is still controversial when considered from a funding issue.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry if any disagree but I feel the VA is somewhere where the US needs to put it's money if they're to put it anywhere. The people that get health care through the VA usually go through the VA because they don't have health insurance or it's cost effective for them. Usually the people that go there are sick. Real sick. Or wounded. Very wounded.

I'd rather see tax payer money go to vets rather than blow a billion dollars into some foreign program. That's kinda heartless but I'm all about taking care of your own first then everyone else.

If you keep blowing up a balloon - it'll explode. That's basically what's happening with the VA-in my opinion. They are dealing with vets from world war II, the Korean war, the Vietnam war, the first gulf war, & now the war on terror. Oh & all the vets from other wars and/or conflicts that I haven't mentioned. That & all the vets who served who have service connected health issues from all eras.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Typical American reaction.

Blame the hospital instead of the brainwashing and orders to murder for oil company profits.

Why isn't the military under fire for creating 20% of the suicidal Americans?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by speaknoevil07

Bravo and THANK YOU! I am an employee of the Department of Veterans Affairs and I can say that MOST employees at the VA I work at genuinely care for our Veterans (most are Vets themselves). I can also say that the VA is far from perfect, and if you have seen one VA then you have seen one VA....They are not all equal...We do what we can with what we have, and often VA employees give from there own pockets and their personal time to go above and beyond for ANY Veteran in need...

top topics

join