It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Judiciary Approves PROTECT IP Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Senate Judiciary Approves PROTECT IP Act

www.broadcastingcable.com

"We applaud the Senate Judiciary Committee for its quick approval of the PROTECT IP Act of 2011 and we urge the Senate to pass this important legislation this year," said National Cable & Telecommunications Association President Michael Powell. "By cracking down on rogue websites that have for too long encouraged the theft of valuable content and intellectual property, the PROTECT IP Act of 2011 sends a strong message that this illicit practice will no longer be tolerated. We'll continue to work closely with Senate Judiciary Chairman Leahy, Ranking Member Grassley, and Sen. Hatch to move
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
torrentfreak.com
www.ncta.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is sick. No justice, i doubt this was even legitly (yeah made up word whatever) voted on. How on earth does a bill get passed so quickly in just a few weeks?

Well i guess we all knew it was going to happen, but honestly i'm shock on how fast. This is an outrage. Lets see how the world will react when this is passed. I hope that cool guy anon has something to say about this. Perhaps google will fight as they claimed they would, or they are just disinfo, who knows.

We will see, i guarantee this will pass the next step and become a real bill...

imjustabill.jpg

www.broadcastingcable.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
according to link below, it's on hold.

www.wired.com...

an interesting read.

also keeping an eye on the eu developments but that's on hold also as it seems all privy officials are on holiday.

f
edit on 26-5-2011 by fakedirt because: btw s and f op

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

cool man thanks
also

www.politico.com...
edit on 26-5-2011 by doom27 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

hi doom
the link is struggling to load. however, after thinking about this possible 'stitch up' all users globally are under, i considered the fact that the 'leaders' and those in office who 'care' about our safety on the wild,wild internet, why is it that they have circumvented all us users and are deciding amongst themselves without our consultation what is fit for us?
the simplest answer i can come up with is if they were forced to put this consideration to the users, it would show how out of touch and unfit for purpose they really are. this consideration alone would loosen their grip on the situation by itself.
regards fakedirt

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Is this the one that makes it a felony to download copyrighted material?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

unsure as to this becoming a felony. seems more like a way to install more litigation on the masses whether guilty or innocent. an interesting angle to this and the extended, enhanced patriot act is there will be no oversite of review for at least 4 years.
f

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Here's a counter measure for this evil act: IP#! (Firefox addon) spread the word.
We're at war it seems

edit on 28-5-2011 by themaster1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Leahy's Protect IP Act (PIPA) or the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA).

Read more: news.cnet.com...

A bill that all INTERNET USERS and CONTENT WRITERS and WEBSITES in every country WORLDWIDE should be very concerned about...

Read the bill here:
leahy.senate.gov...
www.techdirt.com...

Leahy's Protect IP Act is NOT about:
Whether LEGITIMATE copyright infringement or piracy is acceptable or not. Most already know that piracy, and the like, are criminal acts and breaking them can lead to fines, prosecution, jail time and civil suits. Piracy is a CRIME with repercussions. This is clearly understood.

Leahy's Protect IP Act is MORE about:
A loosely worded law being enacted (or in this case, online rights and liberties being taken away and censorship being implemented). A bill like this WILL lead to widespread ABUSE and CENSORSHIP towards websites and website visitors who are NOT committing any acts of piracy. Even the name of the bill is misleading. Read the language in this bill if you question this statement. The extreme vagueness of the bill is the primary reason it was not passed THIS TIME. Yet, it will reappear - without a doubt. It is already being rewritten.

Also, more than likely, there will be little or no accountability or repercussions from wrongful, erroneous or overly aggressive "policing" or "censorship" actions written into this bill. Every persons online activity will be at risk of becoming monitored, taxed, fined, or worse. Even those NOT perpetrating piracy. Eventually most online liberties as well as privacy will be stripped away all together under the guise of big medias "piracy" safeguards, protection and regulation. It's like the future Patriot Act for the Internet (or an extension of it).

To stop "piracy", the government must remove "privacy". It's that simple.

I believe in LEGITIMATE copyright protection WHEN it is financed by the media companies who wish to protect THEIR privately owned copyrighted materials through CURRENT legal methods (litigation, subpoenas, etc). I do not believe taxpayer money and government resources should be used to assist private companies in protecting private assets or maintaining profitability. This bill benefits and protects the media industry first and foremost and citizens second (if at all?)

When did the US gov decide to start using taxpayer money to protect private corporate assets (I.E. copyrights, intellectual property, etc). Shouldn't the US gov instead be focusing on protecting constitutional human rights? Yes, the US government is attempting to prevent a (non-violent) crime of Piracy and Theft of Intellectual Property - yet I think there are many more pressing matters that need to be attended to with the diminishing US money and resources.

The US Gov is already seizing domains, without notice, that are NOT violating current piracy laws. Imagine what will happen when more aggressive "piracy" laws are enacted?

ICE Seizes Domains, Including Sites Not Hosting Pirated Content:
www.digital-digest.com...
www.rawstory.com...

More information about the Protect IP bill:
news.cnet.com...
blogs.forbes.com...
news.cnet.com...
www.eff.org...
www.techdirt.com...
www.eff.org...
www.examiner.com...
edit on 29-5-2011 by matito because: