It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interweb Trolls, Sheeple, Disinfo Agents and You?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

BTW, the whole point is that "people" don't call other people "sheeple", only SHEEPLE call other people "sheeple".

I would have to disagree with this claim. While Sheople do call other people sheople, people also legitimately call out those who in fact are sheople.

If you believe the official version of the JFK assassination, you are a sheople.

There are legitimate trolls, people who intentionally try to derail a thread, for what ever reason, usually by attacking others and trying to drag the discussion on a tangent.

There are people who intentionally post disinformation to try and cloud a subject, and prevent people from getting a better idea of what is going on.

Why do people do these things. Hey, we all have our own agenda. Some people need to see certain things certain ways.

Do we have people posting on these threads in the interests of institutions, and possible groups of power brokers? Who knows, just keep hammering them with the logic and reason, and the truth will win out.

Oh, and I think Jackflap and BanMePlz did some pretty good jobs of debunking. Every thread needs a good debunker.

edit on 27-5-2011 by poet1b because: typo

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I've noticed several posters saying that they have been known to troll (none have admitted to any of the other descriptions). My question, for clarification's sake, when one 'trolls' does this mean they are only baiting some poor schmuck? Do they have no real facts or truths or whatever you wanna call them? They are simply there just to get someone's panties in a twist?

If this is true- shame on you! I mean really, we expect that kind of behavior at other sites. I was under the impression that this site with, it's rules and regulations, would strive for something better.

If the people on here who are trying to spread truth ( on any given subject) occasionally mess with people for fun, when can one be sure that anything anyone says is honest?

I understand that this is the all-mighty interwebs and for the most part people are just horrible liars- but I'm not, so I guess that leads me to believe that others are similar to myself (hopefully).

I guess I just don't understand the point of 'trolling'. It seems these types must just be no good, very bad people in real life. I'm glad I only have this minimal interaction with them.

S&F for the OP- I've learned quite a bit and had several laughs

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 27/5/11 by ElizaAshdene because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Whats all this awake business about anyway? I see it posted repeatedly. Is it just another self proclaimed superiority flag d-bags like to wave around as a banner proving they are right?

Cause I don't get it. Because I don't get it, and to me it sounds like some kind of made up badge you get to put on yourself, does that mean I'm not awake?
Cause I do feel kind of sleepy. But I always kind of feel sleepy.
edit on 27-5-2011 by Butterbone because: corrected "the" with "to"

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm mostly a 'lurker' these days, taking in information where I can.

I do my best to troll disinformation though, no worries.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
reply to post by Klassified

The fact that you think truth exists without facts and evidence speaks volumes about where you are coming from. If you want to convince the masses, then facts & evidence is what you'll need. If you think you can convince them without, then you're as deluded as the rest of the conspiracy nuts on this website.

I have an extremely vivid & wild imagination, but truth is nothing without facts and evidence. Anyone who thinks otherwise is suffering from delusions of grandeur or an extremely over inflated ego, which I see a lot of on these conspiracy websites.
As someone who practices Buddhism, I'm all for the truth, but I'm sick of people who peddle the truth, dressed up as lies, propaganda or delusions of grandeur and when it comes to conspiracy websites, that's all you seem to get.

I believe what I said was, they were different. Not seperate. Facts, evidence, and even "proof", can be manipulated to fit any given agenda. But truth, is what it is, and sometimes we don't see the evidence of it until after the fact.

As a Buddhist, if memory serves, you believe first and foremost, "life is suffering". Most Buddhists see this as a truth. It may not be written in a peer-reviwed paper as evidence for you to sift through, but they believe it is self evident nonetheless.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
then there is this abcnews.go.com... could this be the end of conspiracy sites the end of free thought and free speech??? would obama use this to for one and for all shut down the web?? or does it mean nothing at all?? from the link

Tornadoes Caused by Military?: Recent Events Fuel Conspiracy Theories

edit on 27-5-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Some people are quick to call people trolls or dis-info agents if that don't agree with what they think, much like people calling each other witches of communist for the same reasons.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Anybody notice the guy on the end in the 7th picture is on ATS?? Lol, where was that taken? Was that on purpose? What was he up to??

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Examining the psychological construction of the membership is always an interesting endevour, and can produce some interesting theories. But largely speaking, I think what is important to realise about the appearance of social trends, certain behaviour types, etc, is that whatever conclusions are reached are largely unimportant. The essential thing, is that no matter what everyone else is thinking, or doing , or saying, it is every members responsibility to ensure THIER OWN conduct is exemplary.

If you believe someone is a troll, fine, believe it. If you mention it in the thread, you are wasting your time. If you allow the troll to draw you into a discussion , or any interaction whatsoever, off or on topic,then you are wasting your time. If you suspect a person of being one of the "sheeple" or a disinfo agent, and you mention that to them, or the board in general, you are wasting your time, because all that ANY of us should be doing, is applying unbiased , and original thinking to the problems, subject matter, and puzzles and mysteries of this great world we live in.

The only correct response to suspicion of these things is to prevent the party you suspect, from being able to sway you from the clear path. Just deny ignorance,and move on.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by bsbray11
It's funny you should joke about something like this as if it doesn't exist. I'd say it's more relevant today than ever, as our leaders increasingly talk about the internet as if it's a threat to national security.

Of course they exist - it's just that their job description doesn't involve ATS (except those rare occasions when we can ferret out foreign intel agents trying to set policy here), and they are no where NEAR as prevalent as a huge number of posters here would have you believe, even out in the real world, actually DOING what's in their job description!

You talk like you know this from experience. Can I ask where you learned all this from?

You do know that the DoD does view the internet as an outlet to spread its policies I assume.

Well, uh, YEAH! Who do you think INVENTED the internet? Al Gore? Why should the inventors get less mileage out of it than us poor peon users? Ain't no danger in it if you have your head screwed on right, and can decipher their bunk. If you can do that, you can actually have FUN out of their discomfort at being exposed.

It's not as much fun when you're on here defending what amounts to mass murder in foreign countries for the sake of some dollars going into peoples pockets, who don't really give a damn about either you or me anyway.

I'd sooner believe you were poorly trying to use reverse psychology than take your words at face value. Just saying.

Nah, crazy folk don't use psychology at all - we really sort of fear it. To be honest, I'd really rather you DIDN'T take my words at face value, but delve instead for the deeper meanings. S'ok if you don't though. Like I said, to each his own

You fear psychology because....

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
i definitely belong in the troll category. i troll even if i'm not trolling.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto
Some people are quick to call people trolls or dis-info agents if that don't agree with what they think, much like people calling each other witches of communist for the same reasons.

That's right, but this is in no way proof that the DoD, Vatican, or other power institutions don't directly or indirectly pay people to post on their behalf online. In fact the military has already been caught doing this in one instance, ganging up on the commentary of some news website when all the IPs were traced back to coming from a single military building.

"Hiring a block of bloggers to verbally attack a specific person or promote a specific message may be worth considering."

"Hacking the site and subtly changing the messages and data--merely a few words of phrases--may be sufficient to begin destroying the blogger's credibility with the audience."

"Well I felt pretty bad 'cause most of it was really crap. It was a waste of time. We just tried a lot of lies."

So my question is, what kind of person would be trying to mock the idea that these sock-puppet accounts exist? Remember that ATS is the biggest conspiracy theory website in the world. If they are going to send agents anywhere to cover anything up or spread lies, what do you think would be their first priority?
edit on 27-5-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
People can troll me all they want. I dont care anymore because `I haz a Corm` and all is well in bluemooone2 land.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e73d54bdf13c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

And I'll ask again,
What group do you think your crap you just spewed fits in to.

Hmm, all three. That's how these schemes work. And depending on the mood I'm in I'll interpret my thoughts/words/actions according to either one of those three options. That's how pseudo-psychology works. It's how they sell astrology and all sorts of strange works of fiction to women of middle-age.

It's amazing that you've arrived at a complete conclusion after reading one post.
You have zero idea of who I am, and obviously very little of anything else beyond your immediate viewing area.

You'd be surprised at how much one can figure out by just thinking. Like, how you had to put extra emphasis beyond the "you have zero idea of who I am". But sure, you know better, after all - you know how to group people up into three sections.

What is your sign btw(astrology)?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
While some brought this up here are a few phrases I get tired of hearing rather they are true or false.

1. 2012
2. Usama Bin Laden is not dead
3. The word '' Mayan '' on every level
4.Birthers
5.Deathers

I mean WTF would anyone would say '' I'm a birther '' it sounds so lame, I just want to vomit everytime I hear that word now '' deather '' appears.

Thats just to name a few, I have to roll to New Orleans for a poker tourney now... Have a great weekend all!

edit on 27-5-2011 by JAGx1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Yrsal

Speaking for myself, as a long time lurker with probably close to 20 posts since joining recently, i can tell you mey reasons.
1 - fear of being monitored; over that, they've got my browser history anyway, so why not give my $.o2
2 - Time
3 - after four years, I've seen too many trolls/BS threads, etc. to bother.
4 - but i did, and am glad i did.
RE: Slayer's OP today(?) i don't consider myself a troll, or a sheeple, and seek info rather than cram my "beliefes" down anyone's gullet.
Seems like you're of the same mindset, and that's who i think ATS needs more of, and I admit that there's already lots of members on here I'd put in that category, hence my finally joining.
Glad you did to, for whatever reasons you did.
The more, the stronger, & i hope the members here (& finally feel[think] there's a lot) can debate civilly, & look past the trolls/adolescents/etc.
As another new member, like you, I must be optomistic.
edit on 5/27/2011 by ISeeTheFnords because: Got the wrong OP

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

And I'll ask again,
What group do you think your crap you just spewed fits in to.

Hmm, all three. That's how these schemes work. And depending on the mood I'm in I'll interpret my thoughts/words/actions according to either one of those three options. That's how pseudo-psychology works. It's how they sell astrology and all sorts of strange works of fiction to women of middle-age.

It's amazing that you've arrived at a complete conclusion after reading one post.
You have zero idea of who I am, and obviously very little of anything else beyond your immediate viewing area.

You'd be surprised at how much one can figure out by just thinking. Like, how you had to put extra emphasis beyond the "you have zero idea of who I am". But sure, you know better, after all - you know how to group people up into three sections.

What is your sign btw(astrology)?

You seem to want conflict, I'm not interested. I hope the best for you.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Really this is just to see if my avatar i going to finally appear.
Do i need 20 ( I think I'm past that now) to have it shown?
Mods, if you see this, please help. U2U would be helpful, but don't even know how to do that yet.

Nope - still not there.
edit on 5/27/2011 by ISeeTheFnords because: checking avatar status.

edit on 5/27/2011 by ISeeTheFnords because: Still trying

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good thread,Slayer.As always.
I have ran into all those types one time or another on other sites over the years part of the game right?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join