It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$500 Million Obama Administration Program Will Help Kids 'Sit Still' in Kindergarten

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
For much less than 500 Mil I can tell the administration that kids in kindergarten need discipline. If the teachers cant figure that one out.. they need training. I can also throw in for free that feeing kids crap and them being hungry will be contrary to a calm kid. They need nutritional food.. and lemme tell you, it doesnt take 500 mil to figure out that pizza, spaghetti-os, and corn dogs arent real nutrition.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Actually this is being interpreted very much wrong. Partially what this will do is to be looking at the additives currently in school lunches, additives that are highly suspected of causing or aggravating ADHD or ADHD like behavior. I don't think anyone is saying that 5 year olds should be perfectly still, but 5 year olds should be able to sit long enough to hear a story, sing a song, or draw a picture the rate of children unable to do this is rising at a very alarming rate. In my opinion this a step in the right direction.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean---smiley face fascism, it's all for your own good, all the govt intervention, involvement, interference, controlling behavior because you do not fit their profile of good automatons, cogs in the wheel, slaves to the system from cradle to grave. George Orwell would have been so proud.
edit on 26-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
For much less than 500 Mil I can tell the administration that kids in kindergarten need discipline. If the teachers cant figure that one out.. they need training. I can also throw in for free that feeing kids crap and them being hungry will be contrary to a calm kid. They need nutritional food.. and lemme tell you, it doesnt take 500 mil to figure out that pizza, spaghetti-os, and corn dogs arent real nutrition.

They should have thought of that before they snuck all the MSG and aspartame in all the food they could think of. All they are doing is providing the (fascisst) solution to the problem they created.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Maybe if they have a hard time sitting still you should, I don't know, let them go run and play outside for a bit?

Probably will just end up giving them ADD meds.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So when Mitt Romney called Obama on his sex ed for kindergartners, I guess the nanny state just settled for controlling their diet instead. Next they will insist on installing nanny cams in the homes of the parents to make sure they are feeding them correctly. It's already being done in the UK.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by Advantage

They should have thought of that before they snuck all the MSG and aspartame in all the food they could think of. All they are doing is providing the (fascisst) solution to the problem they created.

nahhh a study to figure that out would probably cost a bazillion dollars. They were just saving us money by slipping that junk in without a fancy study.....

/sarcasm.

Im in agreement with you... the caring govt only gets involved to either : manipulate, make money, or shuffle money. We're all so stupid we cant possibly take care of ourselves without their intervention, ya know.
I mean, no one cries when my folks are raised on commodity cheese, powdered milk, and etc.. no studies concerning that. WHo cares if they're all sick and etc from malnutrition. If you want your kids raised on rez-style commodities cause the FDA sys its nutritious goodness for you... hey, keep on believing that govt spin.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Heinrich Himmler was a certified animal rights activist and an aggressive promoter of "natural healing." Rudolf Hess, Hitler's deputy, championed homeopathy and herbal remedies. Hitler and his advisers dedicated hours of their time to discussions of the need to move the entire nation to vegetarianism as a response to the unhealthiness promoted by capitalism. Dachau hosted the world's largest alternative and organic medicine research lab and produced its own organic honey. In profound ways, the Nazi antismoking and public health drives foreshadowed today's crusades against junk food, trans fat, and the like. A Hitler Youth manual proclaimed, "Nutrition is not a private matter!" — P.19

Who wrote this? Jonah Goldberg, in his book "Liberal Fascism"

Other Goldberg quotes from that book here michaelsantomauro.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
if kids arent ready for math and reading or know english parents should have to pay for a tutor before their child is admitted in the first place or face fines

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by Kali74

Again, not what the Govt should be doing or using tax dollars for.

The government's authiority should be limited exclusively to killing brown people we don't like. And brown people who we do like, but that kinda look like the people we don't like, 'cause you know, they all kinda look the same through a sniper scope, am I right? High five.

So they need to spend tax money to study what comprises the food offered by the tax payer funded institution?
That is just as dumb when said out load, as it is typed out on a keyboard.

Well, keep in mind. Thanks to people who insist that nothing is actually the government's job - you know the sort - the FDA doesn't actually regulate or check up on anything until people start dropping dead from it. Seriously, do YOU know what the crap they put in your tater tots is? if you're a tater tot chemist, good for you, college grant well spent, I guess. But most people? Don't have a damn clue. And since the FDA isn't actually looking at any of it, we don't really know what a lot of these food additives actually do to people.

Not the government's job to keep the people from being casually poisoned, I know, I knowm the government's job is solely a bullet purchase-and-delivery system. But still, if they're going to spend the tax dollars anyway, maybe looking into chemical additives isn't a terrible idea. I mean it doesn't beat studies on what happens when shrimp wrestle in jello, but hey.

Why do schools even do meals? The family should provide their child what they want their child to eat. That would stop all this wasted money and funding crap and place the power back with the parents.

edit on 26-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2011 by macman because: Stupid grammar

Because not every family consists of comfortable middle-class people with free time to surf the internet and bitch and moan about crap they know nothing about. There are people out there who can't bring good meals home regularly to their kids. Hell, there were points where my mom worked three jobs just to keep the lights on when I was growing up, know what? I ate rice. Now I know what you're going to say, but yes, a billion Chinese people can be wrong. Hell, there were points where our ability to eat at home depended on whether or not the fish in the river out back were nibbling.

So yeah, it'd be nice if every kid in the world grew up with three square meals on the table every day for eighteen years, delivered by doting parents. In fact that'd be great. But... it's not like that. Sorry if that's a shock to you, but, yeah. There are kids who go hungry.

Now, as to why I'm against this ridiculousness? it's because i don't think we should be trying to find ways to make five year-olds sit like little statues. I don't give a damn if it's a kindergarten class or what, they're five goddamned years old, they're going to wriggle, they're going to act out, they'll cry, eat crayons, and pick their noses. It's just the way people are at that age, and they have ALWAYS been that way. Trying to hammer that out of the kids is just damned ludicrous on multiple levels. And I don't think the government should be in the business of doing that

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Poor Jonah Goldberg. Probably does the Buffalo Bill dance while wearing a blonde wig, trying so hard to be Ann Coulter. "I'd buy my book. I'd buy my book hard"

Hitler was a vegetarian because cooked meat reminded him of death. it wasn't a political or even health decision on his part, it was simply because the dude was messed in the head and the meat thing probably triggered a compulsive reaction.

That Goldberg then tries to equate vegetarianism to Naziism should, well, really tell you all you need to know about Jonah Goldberg.

And i apologize to everyone who conjured an image of the guy doing the Buffalo Bill dance. Cannot unsee.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Has Obama even been a kid before? Does he know how five year olds are like? I am starting to wonder... five year olds have so much energy. It is only natural for them to want to jump around all the time and stuff.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Kindergarden should be a loosely structured learning environment that allows children to express their creativity, learn to socialize with other children and gain a basic foundation for their future education. I believe this administration is using this as an attempt to battle a very complex social issue, but they are going about it in the wrong way.
Rather than working to correct the more complex social issue of what is causing the increase in attention disorder and poorer educational outcome, they are focusing on the symptoms of said issue. For example trying to teach children to sit still while the environment around them demands a constant hyperactivity to keep up. T.V. programs geared for children are Loaded with stimuli, likewise the internet has made it possible to stimulate the brain at an incredible rate. Not always in the best ways mind you (e.g. the thousands of mindless youtube videos like this one or the notorious Fred..)

It would be wiser spend their money educating parents that letting their children grow up around the television and -or-computer can cause a vast array of problems including but most certainly not limited to: attention deficit disorders, reduced empathy, skewed perception of bodily, and exposure to concepts that are beyond their understanding (i.e healthy human sexuality).

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Are there ANY neutral, non-inflammatory articles out there about this? All I've run across in searches is highly inflammatory bashing of the bill with next to no details, and so far, zero links to the bill itself. I'd love to read it in it's entirety and decide for myself if this is just wasting money making them sit still, or if it's funding a new teaching approach that is being glossed over/ignored.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

“When we looked at 5-year olds--and we tested about half the 5-year-olds in a relatively homogeneous state like Kansas -- and found that about half of them were not ready for kindergarten at age 5," Sebelius said.

Then delay some kids entry into kindergarten until age six. They do it here and it works. I don't expect small children to "sit still". I can barely sit still for hours at a time. It's ridiculous for me, as a future teacher, to think a child can do this. Medication will be pushed. That's the only way I can see this working. It's sad and it will kill their spirits. It isn't the kids that are the problem. It's the parents in many cases that are the problem. My sister in law has never read to either of her small children. That's a problem. Parents need to be taken up by the earlobe and shaken until they are awake and aware enough to actually interact with their own children! It makes me so mad to see a child try to play with a parent and the parent shoo the kid away like they were a fly or an annoying dog.

As a future teacher, I am researching alternative methods to teach children. Hopefully I will have a bit more leeway in my small town atmosphere than I would in a huge city with a big bureaucracy. Kids fidget for the same reasons adults do, because they're bored or anxious about something. I agree with the person who commented that teaching methods need to change.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

So your retort is along the lines that you know me and know what I am about and that the Govt has to be involved when parents fail.
With your failure, I think the Govt should have stepped in and raised you.
No, the Govt should not be stepping in to take the place of parents, unless the child is removed from the home due to unsafe conditions or the parents are no longer on this earth.
Why don't parents start stepping up and taking responsibility for their actions, like I don't know, having kids?
It is not the fault, nor the problem of the tax payer neighboring to foot the bill.
And the whole crap of well off middle class is an attempt at the old class warfare method to win the argument.

Sorry, you failed. Maybe the Govt should then take over your response.

Kids are kids. The Govt does not need to waste more money on some BS study to grow Govt and tell the masses that kids are kids.
Just more fraud waste and abuse by the Govt to grow the Govt.

edit on 28-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I get that a lot of people are about less government, I am too on many issues. However this is a perfect example of the irrational, everything Obama does is wrong, rhetoric that is too often baseless and rabid. Long before Obama was in office or even a senator it became acceptable to add all kinds of chemicals and colors to our food to make them taste better, last longer, look more appealing and in some cases make us crave them more as if they were a narcotic. Many of these additives are now being looked at as a possible cause of hyperactivity in adults and children.

We all ought to be highly aware by now how difficult it is and how lenthgy a process it is to change certain things, food probably will be the most difficult...so in my opinion any study done to prove that our food is causing us harm is a good thing. And yes a 5 year old ought to be able to sit still long enough to sing a song, even if they have the worst parents in the world.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Kids are kids. The Govt does not need to waste more money on some BS study to grow Govt and tell the masses that kids are kids.
Just more fraud waste and abuse by the Govt to grow the Govt.

Kids ARE kids, but the problem I see is educators want to hold these kids to a higher standard today. It's crazy that we give everyone a ribbon so feelings won't be hurt, yet expect the same children to act as adults. Every time I go to one of my grand-children's sporting events, there is always "that Kid" who will not be quiet, runs around in front of everyone, and all the parent does is "now little Johnny, you are going to go to time out when we get home".

When you have 4 or 5 of these kids doing the same thing, it's a nightmare. Do I blame this on the schools? Nope, the parents are responsible for teaching manners, social intercourse, and plain old right from wrong. I raised my kids the way my parents raised me, and they are raising theirs in the same fashion. They are praised by their teachers, and even others in public, for their manners and actions in public places.

Schools can't teach what kids should know by the time they start school, only parents can. Not all kids are able to be perfect statues in kindergarten, so save the millions of dollars and let them be kids. Just give them some tools to work with in following years.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

I agree.
The nature of young children is to play, exert energy and explore and learn.
Most of the school today are teaching only to memorize crap. Not independent thought. That the scientific process and mostly defiantly not relaying on yourself but others and the group mentality.
Yes, parents need to take back control, but most have an uphill battle because of morons like Al Gore and teachers telling kids that their parents are idiots. Everything that schools cram down the kids throats suggest that if they or their parents disagree, they are the dumbest people to walk the earth.

Schools will just get worse and my kids will either go to private or be home schooled.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox[quo]The government's authiority should be limited exclusively to killing brown people we don't like. And brown people who we do like, but that kinda look like the people we don't like, 'cause you know, they all kinda look the same through a sniper scope, am I right? High five.

You know what amazes me...

That you can take almost any subject and make it about race in your response. Every post I read from you today has taken the subject be it this one or something else and make it about the poor and oppressed brown people. Give it a rest for a while...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand - of course kids in kindergarten can't sit still all day they are kids. I spent a lot of time in my daughter's classes at that age due to being wounded and recovering with little else to do. So I volunteered to help with reading groups and such. What I observed made me sick.

Five year olds need free time to dump energy they have a 5 minute attentions span as it is. After the 6th hour of structure they are in desperate need of an outlet. Half the time they got 15 minutes to "play" and that was so restricted that they didn't get much out of that either. They were not to run, touch each other, play tag, etc. In any game there was to be no winner.

They spent more time on learning about social indoctrination issues than anything else. It’s a wonder they had time for actual school You are all unique and special butterflies...some of the kids were just unprepared for school and the parents were less than apathetic about it.

Woe be unto the teacher who has to explain that Jimmy needs to be put in a special group for struggling kids. His parent will blame everyone involved except themselves for the fact their kid hit Kindergarten with no basic understanding of even the ABC's or counting.

All the kids got awards at the end of the year; my kid reading at 3rd grade level got the same award as the kid who had yet to learn his ABC's.

Pathetic...stick to the three R's and skip the social engineering and Kindergarten could be half a day again. Then again a lot of parents wanted full day so they didn't have to pay for day care - sucks to have kids when you can't afford them so the State just makes the school day longer and fills it with BS to accommodate.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
of course the article forgets to mention contracts and contractors.

nor does it mention population differences or demographics.

nor does it mention public vs private school results.

nor does it mention big city vs rural statistics.

ritalinsideeffects.net...

Ritalin (methylphenidate) is an amphetamine-like prescription stimulant commonly used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children and adults.

Many think Ritalin (methylphenidate) is safe, or mild, because so many children use it. However, the government classifies the psychoactive drug with coc aine and morphine because it is highly addictive.

anyone who allows this to be given to a child must be a psyco or a drug user themselves....period !

try it .... you'll like it !

here is the warning label you probably don't see:

WARNING

RITALIN-SR IS A FEDERALLY CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE (CII) BECAUSE IT CAN BE ABUSED OR LEAD TO DEPENDENCE. KEEP RITALIN-SR IN A SAFE PLACE TO PREVENT MISUSE AND ABUSE. SELLING OR GIVING AWAY RITALIN-SR MAY HARM OTHERS, AND IS AGAINST THE LAW.

TELL YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU OR YOUR CHILD HAVE (OR HAVE A FAMILY HISTORY OF) EVER ABUSED OR BEEN DEPENDENT ON ALCOHOL, PRESCRIPTION MEDICINES OR STREET DRUGS.

[color=ffff000]parents: take note of the second paragraph !!!!!!!!!

like father, like son ?

edit on 5-28-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join