It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$500 Million Obama Administration Program Will Help Kids 'Sit Still' in Kindergarten

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I couldn't make this BS up if I tried. To help Kindergarten students sit still... Wow! So they want to bury Ronald McDonald, They will be taking pictures of student lunches in Texas and then analyzing the garbage to see what was actually consumed and now this. I'm confused..... Michelle wants kids to Get Moving and now they want the youngest of our students to sit still. Perhaps they are planning to treat all of these restless kids for ADHD.

When I was a kid Kindergarten was a half day and we even had a nap time squeezed into that half day. Now they push 5 year olds into all day programs. Not sure if they still get some down time. What are we expecting out of our 5 year olds?? I've got two of them right now.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told CNSNews.com on Wednesday that the administration's new $500 million early learning initiative is designed to deal with children from birth onward to prevent such problems as 5-year olds who "can't sit still" in a kindergarten classroom.

“You really need to look at the range of issues, because if a 5-year-old can’t sit still, it is unlikely that they can do well in a kindergarten class, and it has to be the whole range of issues that go into healthy child development,” Sebelius said during a telephone news conference on Wednesday to announce the Race to the Top Early Learning Challenge.

www.cnsnews.com...

Wow! Glad Sebelius knows what's best for my children. This is her new "Race to the Top" initiative. All designed to establish a new set of standards for our youngest students up to the age of 5. Sorry kids!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
See folks? Here's something worth criticizing. Seriously, this is... staggeringly stupid. Want to bark up a tree all day? At least bark up a tree that has something in it, kay?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why doesn't someone go CSI on some of this crap. Has anyone thought about putting this and everything under the scrutiny of a mass spectrometer to see exactly what is in all this crap we are ingesting.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hurray for more/massive intrusive government!!!
Waiting for whats next? A drug to keep divorce down?
Or how about some chemical additive to keep people from buying firearms?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
what helps kids sit still is making sure there fed properly, clean, and comfortable (not having to use the bathroom). if this is what hes planning on providing it would be fine

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
what helps kids sit still is making sure there fed properly, clean, and comfortable (not having to use the bathroom). if this is what hes planning on providing it would be fine

Um, no it's not the place of the Govt to provide for this.
Some kids can sit still, some can't. It is the nature of being a kid.
If a teacher can't deal with the child, then they are in the wrong line of work.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
if this is true, the kids that can't sit still will soon be on meds............that's at least what it sounds like to me

how our civilization started and got to this point without a government program to fix all these important problems
is truly a miracle /end sarcasm

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is why I plan on homeschooling my future children. At age 5 a child has so much bottled up energy that yes they can't sit still, it's a sign of a healthy child. Give them something exciting to do and they'll be fine.

I think an evulation of the kindergarden teachers teaching styles would be more effective.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

if its taxpayer money paying for it they better be feeding children nutritional food when the parents dont provide and allowing a clean and comfortable environment. i remember when i was in elementary school and i had many concentration issues because i wouldnt go near the bathroom because it was filthy and had piss and feces on the floor. thats the schools fault, prisons keep there bathrooms in a similar state of course its something to avoid.
edit on 26-5-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
sounds like yet another "Ritalin" deal....

I wonder if Kathleen Sebelius was a "Ritalin" child ?

or her kids or grandkids ?

Oh pardon me, .... that's "confidential" isn't it ?

unless of course it is YOU or YOUR kids !

they must have some new "miracle" drug in the works.

i wonder if Obama was a Ritalin kid ??

edit on 5-26-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

if its taxpayer money paying for it they better be feeding children nutritional food when the parents dont provide and allowing a clean and comfortable environment. i remember when i was in elementary school and i had many concentration issues because i wouldnt go near the bathroom because it was filthy and had piss and feces on the floor. thats the schools fault, prisons keep there bathrooms in a similar state of course its something to avoid.
edit on 26-5-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

Still not the place of the Govt.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
more government parenting and you are footing the bill for someone elses child

when is enough enough?

the government needs to get the hell out of the home and stay out.

someone needs to give the government ritilan so they can be tamed because thats what it is

behavioral modification.

cant get any more fascist than this current administration

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
As usual most of you didn't read the article. Probably due to short attention span. If there had only been a program that might have helped you prepare for school, instead of having the TV as your baby sitter.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
will this cut back on all the little fat kids I see these days?

I'm started to get grossed out.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
So there going to throw 500 million of our tax dollars to help kids sit better? Do they really think that money is going to solve the age old problem of trying to get your kids to sit still? What a bunch of morons. They must have never heard of discipline.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yep, this is fascism at its smiley face best.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

when one looks at statistics of how USA schoolchildren stack up against other modern countries, perhaps some new programs are just what we need. the public schools are not the product of you and i, we just get to pick up the bill, to the best of my knowledge. what is taught and what is not taught, all those years of lies they feed us, is not something we want for our children.

i understand medication for children is a forbidden thought on ATS. but that does not mean some children do not need counseling or medical attention. there are children that have been helped, they do exist. there are some adults that look back now and regret that todays advancements were not in place when they were in school, full tilt out of control and disrupting the other students regularly. having finally gotten help as adults they have to look back in regret at not only what they did to others, but also how their poor grades harmed their future chances as they now try to make their way in the world.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think they should be given ritalin as soon as they are out of the uterus. Kids need to sit still all their lives, not cause any wave, be good students, study hard, work hard and die peacefully.

That's what being alive is all about. Sitting still, learning, working, dying.

/yeah it's sarcasm.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Actually this is being interpreted very much wrong. Partially what this will do is to be looking at the additives currently in school lunches, additives that are highly suspected of causing or aggravating ADHD or ADHD like behavior. I don't think anyone is saying that 5 year olds should be perfectly still, but 5 year olds should be able to sit long enough to hear a story, sing a song, or draw a picture the rate of children unable to do this is rising at a very alarming rate. In my opinion this a step in the right direction.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Again, not what the Govt should be doing or using tax dollars for.
So they need to spend tax money to study what comprises the food offered by the tax payer funded institution?
That is just as dumb when said out load, as it is typed out on a keyboard.
Why do schools even do meals? The family should provide their child what they want their child to eat. That would stop all this wasted money and funding crap and place the power back with the parents.

edit on 26-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2011 by macman because: Stupid grammar

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join