It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you hide your alternative thinking from those around you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by Silver Star

That is one hell of an assumption.

I also noticed you used the word "harping".

Perhaps a Freudian slip ?

Oh dear... we have a comedian.

Sorry for harpping on, old boy!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I tend to keep it to myself outside of a select few. This is mainly due to the fact that when i have tried, it not only lead to harsh judgement on my mentality but it also failed to convince the willfully blind. So i asked myself, why should I talk to people unwilling to listen? Then it hit me, i will not. In doing so, I was no better than a Jehova Witness at my door.

So i basically keep my mouth shut, unless provoked. I post facebook status's sometimes though, and no one responds. I also post links on Facebook like the one about government grants being used to tell us that sick shrimp are not as healthy as healthy shrimp.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm mostly willing to talk and be open about any ideas or beliefs that I have. I do it only with the pretext that they be willing to listen. In my opinion it takes two, one to talk and one to listen. So if they aren't really going to care too much to listen, I tend not to care too much to talk. I mostly try to do it in the form of questions. I usually ask them questions about whatever subject I happen to be on and wait for their answer. This method gives me a great advantage in how exactly to go about explaining myself to them, because it allows me to see their critical thinking process, compare and contrast their ideas against my own (and their own).

So basically, yes I am an open book, but more specifically I am reserved on topics that the listener may be too close minded to even care to hear.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Denco

S & F OP.

I don't make a point of getting too off the wall with fellow employees or acquaintances. Some close friends have a better idea of preparations and arms and plans for a SHTF scenario, mostly those who are going to throw in with me and the others.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
My best friend (luckily) is into all of the ATS topics and she was this way before I ever met her!....So she and I discuss anything...sometimes we agree to disagree...but we really have a good time!

Over the years I have tried to share with other people I know: what I believe about Ufo's, aliens, the secret governments etc. and they really don't want to hear about it. Many of them think I am just plain nuts!

I don't really hide what I think...its just that I know in a lot of cases...it just may not be well received.
edit on 26-5-2011 by caladonea because: correct word

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I just recently informed my friend that there are theories about this Planet that will come around in 2012 (Nibiru/Planet X) he'd never heard of it, I said I'd believe it when I see it.

I told him to look it up on his laptop, He found one persons opinian of 3 paragraphs and took that as his own opinian and disregarded it all as BS.

Yeah i'll keep my mouth shut on most subjects because my friends just don't think far enough.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
It depends who it is:
I have my "fun" friends and my "close" friends, my fun friends are the friends i go out with. My close friends are my friends who i still go out with ofcourse, yet know the deeper side to my demeanor.
Many of my fun friends could in no way understand if i were to tell them what i know/think, and many wouldnt even bother to know. so i dont mention it to them, i still think they are good people so it dosent bother me that much knowing that they are a little ignorant.
Thats not to say i change my personality though, i dont at all. If i see/hear something from them that i dissagree with i would be the first to say so. I just know that trying to explain what i know to them would be wasted energy.

I know it would seriously irritate some people knowing their friends are blissfully ignorant, but i think asking who is ignorant or not is the wrong question. it is who is a GOOD person or not. Because when # goes down and everybody is finally aware of whats happening, it is the GOOD people that are going to help you out. you could be completely aware of your surroundings, yet this does not make you a good person. It could make you an even more DANGEROUS person because you have information that others dont and use this to manipuate them accordingly.

Of course, in general more aware people would be pretty good. :L

However, my closer friends i do like to have discussions about what i think about the world and such, again if i were to tell them straight up that 9/11 was an inside job OF COURSE they are going to say no its not your crazy. Its like telling someone the sky is blue after forever believing it was red. I just plant the little seed in their minds and let it grow from there

Like the OP, my facebook has not one little inkling of conspiracies. Its full of "HEY SLU*" and "YOU WERE F***** LAST NIGHT!" my facebook is part of my "fun" life, so it will stay that way.

I think with these kind of things, you do need a balance. not to say that thinking about these topics all the time is wrong because that is completely untrue. It takes a very strong mind to know and deal with the BS that is around 24/7 and some of us just dont have the mentality to deal with it all the time.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Seriously, everyone but 1 of my 4 boys. The other young man is a firm non-believer but my primary interests are paranormal (I'm a claireaudient & have had experiences since I was a child), "aliens"/extraterrestrials & cryptozoology. If we admit a belief or even curiosity we're on the receiving end of a
For me it's not worth the explanation &/or argument. Once in a while I'll come across someone who will engage me in such a conversation, one of mutual interest, & I'm more than happy to discuss experiences & beliefs, otherwise it's one thing that's my own.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If people ask about my opinion on something, I will give them my opinion.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
When I sense the moment is appropriate, then I will impart what wisdom I can to those who have ears to listen...

...Just, don't force what you know on others, that's potentially destructive

These two comments sum up my approach to divulging my stand on 'alternative' issues. Prior to the last year or so I kept my opinions to myself, but I've reached the point where I feel as though my silence appears to place me among the ranks of the uninformed. I owe myself more than this for the effort I make to questions things beyond what is presented to us by the media and other authorities.

I'm confident enough that my leanings on controversial subjects can stand on their own merit such that I can take the risk of being open about them. Most of the time I wait for the subjects to be brought up by others before I chime in -- and in the non-preaching manner that AdamsMurmur suggests. I prefer to provide food for thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join