It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeowner shoots and kills burglary suspect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Link

CLOVER, S.C. – A homeowner shot and killed an intruder this morning at a home in Clover. The incident happened in the 2900 block of W. Highway 55 at about 8 a.m. York County 911 received a call about a burglary and emergency crews were sent to the home. When deputies arrived they learned one person had been shot to death. The homeowner fired shots at the intruder, according to investigators. The homeowner thought a second person was involved in the burglary. Nearby Bethany Elementary School was placed on lockdown for a short period of time as deputies searched the area. A second suspect was not located and the lockdown has been lifted.

Outstanding!!! If more people did this, home invasions and burglaries would drop very fast!

I dont have a gun, but if someone breaks into MY house, they will get as hunting crossbow quarrell in their throat, chest or eye...Time to take back our homes from the dirtbags!
edit on 5/26/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well sucks to break the Castle clause doesn't it? This should be posted in sucks to be you.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Awesome! Not sure I could shoot a petty thief but if circumstances warranted... Thank goodness it wasn't granny stopping by bringing cupcakes or the j. witnesses! haha

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
To those that dare to break into homes, doom on you.
I second the notion that if this happened more often, people would think twice before breaking into a house.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It is always good to make sure you kill them so they can't sue you later!

xxx

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oh boy... the ignorance...

I'm not sure which state this happened in but regardless, this is not legal you do understand right?

You do not have the right to shoot someone who is invading your house. Not the last time I checked.

I think I posted this somewhere on another thread.

I think you can shoot to kill only under the circumstance that the alleged burglar happens to be armed and posed an immediate threat to yours or your family's life.

I think that's the only time you can shoot to kill and be able to walk away from the court. You gotta be able to convince the Juries.

Not sure how accurate this is, as I'm not a law practitioner, I just heard this from folks and it kind of make sense.

What should be considered bizarre is having the legal right to shoot anyone that trespasses your property.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

Why not just say hello to them and offer them a beer and a bed for the night?

Come on, grow up. It's a burglary. Alot end in the homeowners being murdered.

I wouldn't take a chance, so I would kill as well.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the law varies by state.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

It is always good to make sure you kill them so they can't sue you later!

That is what the shotgun is for....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So youre completely okay with someone breaking into your home, stealing your possessions, possibly raping the female members of your family, youre okay with that??

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Good.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Am I the only one who sees the irony of this post? You start with a statement about ignorance and then five of the following seven sentences start with "not sure" or "I think". If you don't know youre doing yourself a grave disservice by promoting further ignorance.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It varies from state to state.. Some states adopt the castle doctrine which does give you the right to shoot them if they are breaking in..

The stupid thing about "if they are armed" is that in the middle of the night and being pulled out sleep by loud foot steps or breaking glass.. you won't know if their armed. Ever been rudely awoken? Didn't know where you were, what was going on? Think about it.. I believe there is a certain amount of perhaps human rights that you forgo when you enter a persons house.. People are forced into the primitive instinct of fight or flight.. and instinct tells us not to flight in our home. A person shouldn't be punished for being put in a situation where they should have felt safe but were given the feeling of impending doom or extreme danger.

But truley it varies from state to state. Here in oregon, if you give a decent warning and allow them the chance to leave.. regardless armed or unarmed you can shoot them if they continue.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker84
I think you can shoot to kill only under the circumstance that the alleged burglar happens to be armed and posed an immediate threat to yours or your family's life.

Every second you take to confirm that said burglar is armed is another second the burglar has to hurt you and yours.

The police use a similar level of threat detection. (if you appear to be a threat, you are probably a threat and should be treated as such) It's been taken too far often, and the actual definition of what constitutes a threat has been fudged a bit in some cases; but a person who breaks into a home knows what he or she is doing.

While we may occasionally see some unfortunate events where a drunk person enters the wrong home thinking it's his or her own, a person's home is their castle.

At least that's how it's supposed to be.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

"I feared for the safety and welfare of myself and my family".
Done!!

Unless you live in a backwards state that forces you to flee from your own house if an invader comes in.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
To those that dare to break into homes, doom on you.
I second the notion that if this happened more often, people would think twice before breaking into a house.

I don't think so. See, threats actually aren't useful for halting criminal activity. You'd think the death penalty would deter people from committing murder, for instance, but it doesn't. In fact murder rates have gone up since the death penalty was reinstated (not saying there's a correlation, just noting). Basically, if someone honestly wants to kill another person, then the threat of legal penalty, including death for themselves, doesn't seem to stop them. I figure the same might apply to robbery; if you're already set on robbing someone, you've committed to it, and have already decided that the potential gain outweighs the risk.

The saying is, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. it's better to look like you'll give the potential burglar more hassle than is profitable, than to look like a target and then later blast his ass.
edit on 26/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
im sorry but if someone was to break into my house they would get a baseball bat to the face and anywhere else i could hit,repeatedly!!! this is MY HOUSE, were my kids are , were i live. They shouldn't be here i have a right to protect my home, myself and my children any means necessary, to ensure the safety of my family.As far as I am concerned, the moment a person enters my property they forfiet all rights they have, and any injury sustained to themselves as a direct result of thier/my actions they deserve (yes that includes me killing them if they really tried to fight, tried to assault me or my kids,).

dont want hurt? stay the hell outta MY HOUSE!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

breaking into an occupied residence i feel forfeits your protection under any and all laws. or at least it should. earlier post stated that lots of home invasions end up with the homeowner and even incidental occupants getting murdered to eliminate witnesses and i have heard of cases like that. thus with the possibility of it being a 'me or them' situation...best believe its not gonna be me. thats one very real risk you take as a burglar. folks get a little crazy when a stranger kicks the door in.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

And your stats to back this up?

If anyone breaks into a house, and gets shot, then I say don't break into houses.
Doom on those that break into a house.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

The reason for crime increasing is simple. Credit crunch and rising illegal and legal migration.

More people = More crime.

I'd hate to see what would happen if one of your hippy liberal houses got invaded.

'Ooh please don't do that'

Grow some nuts, if your an adult male you have a responsibility for your family.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join