It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Dangerous Cities in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Earlier this week, the FBI trumpeted the news that violent crime dropped 5.5% in 2010 while reported property crimes fell 2.8% during the depths of the worst economic slowdown since the Great Depression. The news, though, is far from positive.
Though most regions of the U.S. saw declines, the Northeast saw an increase in murders (8.3%), forcible rapes (1.4%) and aggravated assaults (0.7%). Why that region was affected by crime more than others isn't clear. Perhaps it was because of the grinding poverty found in some of the area's cities and their high cost of living.

Well the city I work in made it in the 8th spot. I am surprised it is not higher. I am also surprised to see New Haven on there since I have relatives there and it seemed nice to me. I am also surprised about the median income, I am sure it was lower.

The northeast on average has more money, so it is not surprising that with the recession, that crime is up.

yahoo

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I saw this on the news the other day, as i live new Little Rock #7. And the news interviewed the Police, and they said that the numbers are not really acurate, as the FBI only looks at the preliminary report. Meaning that if they put Robbery down on the prelim, but after investigation find out it was petty theft, the FBI records it as Robbery.
So i do not think it is as accurate as the FEDS want people to believe.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
St. Louis is only competitive in two things, baseball, and crime.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythos13

Valid point and I had that thought myself. But the opposite could also be true, how many crimes are committed that go unreported? So that probably evens it out.

Now my state is extremely conservative on gun control, making it all but illegal.

If anyone is familiar with these areas, I would like to know the local stance on gun control.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Let’s do a comparison here. The most crime ridden cities compared to the poorest cities in America. I think you’ll see where I’m going with this. Data is compiled by the Densus Bureau and FBI Crime statistics.

‘Nuff said.

CRIME:

1. Flint, MI. – Mayor Dayne Walling: Democrat

2. Detroit, MI. - Mayor Dave Bing: Democrat

3. St. Louis – Mayor Francis G. Slay: Democrat

4. New Haven, Conn. – Mayor John DeStefano, Jr.: Democrat

5. Memphis, Tenn. – Mayor A C Wharton: Democrat

6. Oakland, Calif. - Mayor Jean Quan: Democrat

7. Little Rock, Ark. - Mayor Mark Stodola: Democrat

8. Baltimore, MD.- Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake: Democrat

9. Rockford, IL. – Mayor Lawrence J. "Larry" Morrissey: Independent

10. Stockton, CA. – Mayor Ann Johnston: Democrat

POOREST:
In parenthesis is the last time a Republican mayor was elected.

1. Detroit, MI. 32.5% below poverty level. (1961)

2. Buffalo, NY. 29.9% below poverty level. (1954)

3. Cincinnati, OH. 27.8% below poverty level. (1984)

4. Cleveland, OH. 27.0% below poverty level. (1989)

5. Miami, FL. 26.9% below poverty level. Never.

6. St. Louis, MO. 26.8% below poverty level. (1949)

7. El Paso, TX. 26.4% below poverty level. Never.

8. Milwaukee, WI. 26.2% below poverty level. (1908)

9. Philadelphia, PA. 25.1% below poverty level. (1952)

10. Newark, NJ. 24.2% below poverty level. (1907).

Will the masses ever learn?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That's some interesting causality your proposing.

Of course one might also wonder if perhaps the correlation is between low-income areas and their traditional democrat background, and not that Democrats somehow cause crime.

But dont let that get in the way of your partisan tomfoolery.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Las Vegas is certainly not a poverty city but it was suprising to not see it as one of the most dangerous.

People are dying everyday there, sometimes by the dozens.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
New Haven is a cesspool. Always has been. Yalies and rich hipsters like to pretend it's just so cosmopolitan and diverse and wonderful but you can't walk two blocks without a mugging attempt.

U less of course you're a sheltered hipster or Yalie living behind ivory walls.

For Nixie, the city has a ridiculous fear of firearm ownership. A few years back a Jewish community decided to get permits and training and formed their own armed patrols in their neighborhood.

The city went nuts calling them vigilantes and murderers in wait. Everyone attacked them. Even the mayor.

Since their decision guess which area of the city is the only one experiencing a drop in crime?

Yup. The gun-toting Jewish section.

Meanwhile the area behind the ivy covered walls is experiencing an upswing in crime that just might get the attention of the city's elite bow-tie latte crowd. Maybe.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Let's see.

1. No links to back up information
2. Obvious partisan bent, which is a waste of time.

NEXT!!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
funny, from my external viewpoint, i would imagine that Washington DC has the highest rate of crooks per capita.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Foolish to claim that his comments have no background. 5 minutes on the internet will show you that the post is accurate.

Also easily determined are the demographics of these cities. These are amongst those cities that have been experiencing middle class flight, also sometimes called white flight for some time. All of these cities have shrinking populations and are majority minority cities. The middle classes of all races are leaving these towns, leaving the hard core urban poor as majority populations. Tax payers are leaving and these cities are left with tax consumers with an ever decreasing tax base. I've been to 6 of the ten and there is no way that I would choose to live there, especially with kids. The problems in these cities will be almost impossible to resolve. I grew up in New Jersey and since the 70s, Trenton, Camden and Newark have been absolute wastelands. Dump a ton of dough in, change the government, create tax free enterprise zones, nothing works. If someone had an idea that would work, I would be absolutely all for it. The pursuit of "social justice" with the levers of the welfare state have created environments that are breeding grounds for anti-social behavior. These folks deserve better and better in the short to medium term = moving the hell out of the war zone. The amount of untapped talent, economic promise and energy that exists within the residents of these cities that is destroyed by these environments is mind boggling. The US needs to give up the ghost on these towns and essentially turn them into ghost towns.

Crime statistics are also notoriously flawed. Crimes are under reported, city administrations choose not to prosecute certain crimes to improve the crime statistics. Its all a game. When federal grants are on the table, crime goes up. When an incumbant is running for reelection, crime goes down. Some studies study actual reported crime while some report the sentence the perp got, hence plea bargins improve the picture of the city.

When Dinkins was mayor of NYC, there was a significant drop in crime, which was touted by his reelection campaign. Cops blew the whistle and it became known that in fact there were whole sections of the city the police were told not to police and whole categories of crimes the police were told not to pursue. When Guilani was mayor, crime statistics showed a massive increase in crime. Why? Because he enforced every crime, from peeing on the street to breaking windows. There is no doubt that at the end of his term, NYC was one of the safest large cities in the world and still is today, yet the statistics in the early Guilani administration would show otherwise. I think it is safe to assume that folks did not start commiting crime because Rudy got elected. He just started arresting them for it.

edit on 26-5-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join