It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
My friend sends me pictures from time to time to see if I know what they could be. I'm into these weird things and he indulges it.
An hour ago I received another one of this odd looking thing from him, he found the photograph of this in a chest he bought full of old photos (he is a pawnbroker). There were no distinguishable marks or writing on the photo front or back. The only size reference I can make out are the pins holding this in place but that really doesn't help either.
I have seen my fair share of hoaxes and strange animals, my first impression is this looks like a real something? But I am again stumped, so I am posting it to see if anyone in there pursuit for the truth has run across something that looks like this before.

So here it is:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09e1fd2c89c8.jpg[/atsimg]

I have not ruled out a taxidermy type hoax, for I have seen many of these. For some reason this looks like a real animal to me I just can't make it out. . .
edit on 5/26/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

In Fla, they sell a boat-load of strange looking combined Fish-type forgeries ..some pro-port to be MERMAIDS..

That is what i think This is

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Origami fish

no i think thats just a dry octopus
edit on 26-5-2011 by angrydog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Some really strange amphibious type bat? It could be a hoax, but it also could not be. Very strange looking creature. I wonder if the picture has a date on the back? Perhaps you could find out and then try and deduce what it is that way?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Could be some odd type of stingray or cuttle fish?

Found this image too, no explanation tho:
www.flixya.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Very weird if this is real

Would also be help-full if we had some sort of size scale...

edit on 26-5-2011 by grindhouzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I'm going to suggest a dried shovelnose shark.

Maybe its tail was damaged somehow before it dehydrated.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Unresponsible

Found this photo online!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eeb1ca4c0aba.jpg[/atsimg]

TARBORO — Tarboro is talking about a strange-looking skeleton that sent neighbors searching for answers.

Blanche Thomasson found the skeleton buried a foot-and-a-half-deep near an Edgecombe County farm.

"I thought it was a pepper or a dried-up vegetable, but I kept digging at it," she said. "It looked like a monster."

She took it to her vet, who did not know what it was.

Some people thought it was an out-of-this-world find, but they noticed that the skeleton had eyes, gills and fins.

Eventually, scientists at East Carolina University identified it as a shovelnose guitarfish, a type of shark that lives in warm waters south of North Carolina. Interesting, but not extraterrestrial.

"I was ready to talk to Geraldo about my find," she said.

A piece of burlap found near the fish may explain why it was there. Thomasson wonders if a collector had preserved the fish before it was buried.

Wral

That's pretty damn close to me!

edit on 5/26/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is a dried Atlantic Guitarfish

Lots of photos here
edit on 26-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I looked for a few seconds because I seen something like it on ATS before a bigger one and this kinda confirmes the big one unless someone is making multiple sizes and versions. I think it was called a LUMARIAN but not sure the big one was on a table it was found in the sea somehere. Look up Lumarians if correct spelling if not correct spelling then its a lead in direction I hope sorry but there is a larger version on ATS laying on a lab bed..
Great pic S&F

edit on 5/26/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join