It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Strikes Down Wisconsin Law Taking Away Collective Bargaining Rights From State Workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

A Wisconsin judge has struck down a law taking away nearly all collective bargaining rights from most state workers.

Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi ruled Thursday that Republican legislators violated Wisconsin's open meetings law during the run up to passage. She says that renders the law void.

The decision is not the end of the legal fight. The state Supreme Court has scheduled arguments for June 6 to determine whether it will take the same case

Source: oshkoshhub.thenorthwestern.com.../20110526/OSH0101/110526047/Judge-strikes-down-Wisconsin-law-taking-away-collective-ba rgaining-rights-from-state-workers

Well, the next round begins.

The problem here, I believe, is this Judge is the mother of someone connected to the Union side and would be affected by the new law-I think she will be deemed not the one to make any decisions.

Time will tell. Something has to be done or the problems will just get worse. There isn't the money to continue to pay the state workers well and bennies. Eventually, people are going to get laid off- then what?

EDIT:

I found the/some info on her. You be the judge.

This is a problem. Judge Maryann Sumi should have recused herself entirely from the Wisconsin battle due to her inability to be neutral in this case. You see, Maryann Sumi has a clear conflict of interest. Her son is a political operative who also happens to be a former lead field manager with the AFL-CIO and data manager for the SEIU State Council. Both the SEIU and the AFL-CIO have members who are public-sector employees in Wisconsin. In fact, as a federation, the AFL-CIO can boast of several member-unions that represent public-sector employees. Maryann Sumi is hardly an unbiased judge in the matter.

Jacob “Jake” Sinderbrand, Sumi’s son [see page nine here], runs a company called Left Field Strategies, a firm that works on political campaigns.

A lifelong political activist, Jake Sinderbrand got his start as a volunteer doorknocker, and has years of experience training both volunteers and canvassing staff. Jake graduated from Macalester College cum laude with a degree in political science, specializing in American political structures. He has developed his professional political experience serving as a lead field manager with the AFL-CIO and as data manager for the SEIU State Council through the 2008 election cycle. Jake’s expertise in canvass planning and turf strategy helped these organizations to have among the most successful field operations in Minnesota.

FreedomEden has screenshots of Sinderbrand’s facebook page, one ironic twist to this whole sordid affair is that Maryann Sumi apparently gave a speech in 2007 entitled “Judicial Decision Making: Activism or Accountability?

Hmmm enough said. Step aside and lets have a FAIR and INDEPENDENT review and decision. Don't taint the picture more than it already is.
edit on 5/26/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Funny how there was such an out-rage when this first started now... not a peep.... One way or the other.

Maybe not funny but Odd.

This could set up a very interesting chain of events. The Lord/Fate works in mysterious ways.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Yep, she should have recused herself, but then, chances are that the progressives would be on the losing side. Wisconsin is considered the first state where progressive politics became norm for America.

Now the tides are reversing due to the failure of nanny state policies. The people are slowly waking up again. I believe that this next national election cycle will be exciting yet frustrating for all.

It'll be a long time before people like Carter and Obama are elected again.

Off topic, I think no lawyer should ever be allowed to hold a elected public office. Can you imagine how laws would be written if enacted by the People? We might be able to understand them.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

But, they are only shooting themselves in the foot because eventually the case will be appealed and somewhere up the judicial chain, a fair and independed judge will rule and over turn here based on that.

Therefore, all those supports of the Dems etc will be given false hopes and then crushed when the law is eventually upheld-determined to be Okay.

Wait, maybe this could be a fun thing to watch take place.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If this judge recuses herself, then I think it only fair that Justice Thomas recuse himself from any Supreme Court ruling on the healthcare bill since his wife stands to profit from efforts to repeal it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well if Wisconsin can't get rid of collective bargaining, they should let the mass layoffs begin.

This country needs a good riot anyways.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If correct, I am sure he would...

He has respect for the law... IMO.

new topics

top topics

join