It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Trick the Brain Into Experiencing Barbie-Doll Size

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Scientists Trick the Brain Into Experiencing Barbie-Doll Size

www.sciencedaily.com

Imagine shrinking to the size of a doll in your sleep. When you wake up, will you perceive yourself as tiny or the world as being populated by giants? Researchers at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden may have found the answer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Wow, this is disturbing. Yesterday on NPR I heard an author talking about MSM's reputation as consipracy outlets. She said no, they're not, they all want your attention....

I also heard talk about brain implants and eye implants that might hook us biologically into computers. Which I thought was really creepy.

But now -- if you add all that up, if people allow themselves to be "plugged into the Matrix" literally, and then they can make you feel like a Barbie-size person....

THAT is frightening.
Your thoughts ATS?

Should this not be in Breaking News? Mods, I wasn't sure, put it wherever, I just thought ATS would want to know.

www.sciencedaily.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I mean, the scary part is that we could be "plugged in" without our knowledge. It's already proven tech that they've developed contact lenses to wire what we SEE into computers (making us all walking news media), and also they can text "thoughts" (I think - I'll doublecheck for a link to that). So, what if they did it while we were unaware? and then manipulated our "spatial" perception...
rats, my browser has seized up....
I'll post this and try to find a link to the above mentioned "science" of linking us into news sources...

Up to Date - 5/25/2011
On The Media's Brooke Gladstone on The Influencing Machine ©
Note: Today's broadcast was cut short due to tornado activity in the vicinity of KCUR's studios.

In a new graphic non-fiction book, Brooke Gladstone of NPR's On the Media argues that throughout the ages, all of us have viewed the media as a kind of influencing machine, poisoning the culture, stupefying and infantilizing us. However, she argues that is a delusion. The media is not a machine; it's actually a mirror.

Today, Steve Kraske talks with Gladstone about how The Influencing Machine guides readers through the funhouse-mirror distortions and complexities of the modern media.

www.kcur.org...

EDIT to add the radio program's guest introduction. She's the one who discussed the technology already discovered.
Interesting listen if you have time!!

www.npr.org...

and here's the NPR blurb about it, with more info on her book. I want to read it.

edit on 26-5-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Change has always been good and bad together. I've never found us to be perfect enough to not desire change. It's not really the innovation or the idea or our leaders it's how we choose to use them that is frightening to me.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

From the source:

Henrik Ehrsson and his colleagues at Karolinska Institutet have already managed to create the illusion of body-swapping with other people or mannequins. Now they have used the same techniques to create the illusion of having a very small doll-sized body or a very large, 13-foot tall body.

Wow this is very surreal technology! So we can now basically body-swap with dolls. I wonder what practical uses this will have. Soldiers that can act like humans without the loss of life?

Has anyone every seen "Surrogate"? Where everyone controls a robot of themselves and rarely actually leaves there house. Could that be in the not-so-distant future?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thank you for this article.

It's just more evidence to back up MK Ultra and being able to program people, especially women, into believing that they're dolls, kittens, etc.

Truly sick and twisted!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is an optical illusion experiment. I don't think they are actually "jacking" into your brain and changing anything.

It's probably a simple experiment that anyone can do. You can do some pretty crazy stuff by confusing your brain.
Examples of Brain Confusion

edit on 26-5-2011 by DerekJR321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Fascinating. This could revolutionize so many aspects of surgery, mechanical repair, hell, everything.

thanks.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Thanks, friends!

In my last post above I have linked to the author of the book describiing the media and how it has evolved. Check out the other sources to take you further "down into the Barbie-hole" where we are headed.

Cheers! Chins up! (Be careful what you wish for!)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

I have not seen "Surrogate", but it sounds scary. And, well, it sounds like it's possible there are ALREADY surrogates among us. Uh. Oh.

Great way to start believing everyone else IS a robot.....ack!! Maybe I am a robot!!
Oh man, I gotta stop thinking about this until I calm down.
he he.
only joking. Sorta.

hmmmmm......

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There is good in bad in every thing, its what we choose to see that counts..
after all as the saying goes
"guns dont kill people, people kill people" and if i have to explain this statement to you well lets just say , maybe you should go ask mummy what it means..
There is always going to be good and bad coming out from diffrent technologies, the real question is how you schoose to use it ?
if you dont want to plug in.. dont
Turn the TV and internet off. grap a good book and go out in the sunshine and read it.. or better still write one.. Then instead of being reactive your being proactive. and thats always better in the long run..
I mean this could be used to help people in comas that are just totaly paralysed to become normal so to speak

peace.

edit on 26-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: typos and spelling.. the matrix made me do it..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
A bit over dramatic in the paranoia I think but interesting article just the same...Sometimes I think people give TPB more credit than they deserve... this is a science experiment that is interesting, hardly a conspiracy.. and if it were, I doubt it'd be in the news at all ..

But again I still think people give too much credit to the government.. they, to me, seem to be more like a huge dumb beast with many arms and one arm doesn't know what the other is doing.. they are hardly organized.. they can't even agree with eachother.. if half of the conspiracies on this site were true there'd be leaks everywhere.. a gay senator can't even have sex in a public restroom without someone knowing about it.. and that's something they'd probably want to keep quiet lol

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Big deal I did this decades ago and all I needed was a few hits of '___'.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

uh, excuse me, but, I spend every moment I can outside reading a good book - and I get up at 3am to write. I finished one novel last summer and have started another. I have three screenplays under my belt, and you, perhaps, have not had enough coffee.

I was being completely facetious about being afraid. Wake up your sense of humor. Good gawd.

And if you want to talk to my "mummy," she can explain to you that picking a fight with me is not a wise idea. I don't back down easily, nor do I take kindly to insults.

I have no problem with this technology being used to assist those in need. I DO have a problem with it being available to people who might NOT be wanting to help out others.

Excuse the hades out of me if I (a grown, advanced-degree holding, and self-studying-educated person with two adult children who are brilliant and have critical thinking skills) used a tongue-in-cheek tone where you were unable to detect it.
Take your knuckles and .....
knock on some other door, please. I'm not afraid. And you don't intimidate me with your "pseudo-intellectual" response denigrating my remarks.

If you see no danger in this, fine. I happen to see a potential danger in it. I think cloning is equally controversial. There are ALWAYS people who will use discovery for their own interest rather than the greater good.

And if you need me to explain that, well....back atcha.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I never said it wasn't something that could be replicated. I've had my share of alternative states of mind, too. I'm not new to the world. Been here for half a century. Congrats to you for your wild and crazy experiments with hallucinogenics.

And to the responder who said overly dramatic - that was purposeful. I agree, we DO give the government more credit than they deserve.
NOWHERE did I say there WAS a conspiracy. I was simply applying a new bit of knowledge to another new bit of knowledge, and as a WRITER, I thought....hmm. Interesting. Add points A and B, and well, isn't that interesting.

Cheers.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Wow, this is disturbing. Yesterday on NPR I heard an author talking about MSM's reputation as consipracy outlets. She said no, they're not, they all want your attention....

I also heard talk about brain implants and eye implants that might hook us biologically into computers. Which I thought was really creepy.

But now -- if you add all that up, if people allow themselves to be "plugged into the Matrix" literally, and then they can make you feel like a Barbie-size person....

THAT is frightening.
Your thoughts ATS?

Should this not be in Breaking News? Mods, I wasn't sure, put it wherever, I just thought ATS would want to know.

www.sciencedaily.com

This post is pretty fascinating. Even more fascinating is that I have finally "met" someone that actually listens to NPR!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Sorry but you have just pulled the parts of my comment out that suit you, and as you see the comment wasnt a response directly to yourself (it was in response to the thread) but a response to the idea that this is bad..
I dont pick a fight with you.. what gave you that idea, the fact i have a diffrent opinion to yours..
well it looks like the hate they want us to have for each other has already grapped you by the ..
anyway, have a nice day and re read the real intent of my comment..
that we choose what we see.. and what we do with it once we see it.
peace brother.

oh and maybe i was a little harsh, sorry for that, but my mind is still made up as is yours.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Being the size of a doll can only make one feel small and powerless, if they are used to feeling small and powerless. My reaction to such stimulus would probably be "look how many more places I can plant explosives!!!" , or "Damn, can you imagine how much harder to spot I am now? I smell a stealthy moment on the wind !".

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Maybe Honey I Shrunk The Kids had some truth to it

if I could be miniature for a day, I totally would.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

You know how when you go visit the place where you were little (the home in which you lived as a little kid, having left there), you think "wow, it's much smaller than I remember!"....?

It's an interesting concept. Yes, to little kids the world looks uge, adults look gigantic, the environment seems overwhelmingly large.

It's an established perception of relative size, of course. I just think it's interesting that they can induce the sensation with technology instead of drugs or actual size. I used to wish I could be my cat, for just one day (when I was 10, hundreds of years ago).....

I guess my point in posting this was how much our senses, and our relative space-taking in the world we understand, is mutable through manipulation. It would be awesome, and somewhat daunting, to wake up and feel like you were eight inches tall, or thirteen feet high suddenly. I think many people would be quite freaked out. If I willingly swallowed a substance I knew would bring on that effect, that's one thing. To think it could be imposed upon me without my knowledge or consent is something else entirely.

I still have to watch it, but I've heard of a vid called "What the bleep do we know?". And recently I saw a taped presentation by a neuro-scientist who had suffered a stroke and experienced some really wild and enlightening awarenesses...
blog.ted.com...

It has been posted on ATS before (I'm newer than her video), but I noticed the thread got no attention whatsoever.

When I was a little kid, I used to have this weird "expanding-head" feeling, like I was floating outside of my brain....

I find psychology and the mind/brain fascinating. Just thinking that it's possible to BE manipulated to FEEL something different is so intriguing to me!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join