It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype is dead - Global communication crisis!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Skype has been up and running for me all day without interruption. At the time this was posted, we were having a conversation.. While I agree, I don't like Microsoft buying Skype, it's no real reason to go Chicken Little over it. Skype has been down a *lot* over the last couple months, as those who use it consistently like I do might remember.

Also, the whole disinfo agents theory? Come on. If someone noticed he screwed up his spelling, why would he make a new account just to fix it? There's an edit button for a reason.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

No communications is secure unless it has aes-256 plus PGP with RSA-4096+ keys. Unless they implemented it correctly and with those specs, it is subpar. A modified smart phone is able to pick up your cell conversations because it is not encrypted. It is harder to do so on a scanner because the radios in cells use spread spectrum technology.

Like I said, unless skype was meant to be a secure voip from the beginning, its going to be even less with microsoft now purchasing it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Perhaps after failing to crack their encryption even after offering a multi-billion dollar bounty to anyone who could, the NSA got tired of not being able to hack in so they could watch me talking with my granddaughter in Michigan so they just nuked it.

I'm running Win7 btw.

Oh wow I was not even aware that skype had somewhat of a decent encryption. It could also be the otherway around. Most cell phone companies are in bed with big govt so cell communications are a dead duck open book. Internet voip communications are a bit better. I hope microsoft continues the tradition of encrypted communications with skype.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What's Skype?

Is that something like Magic Jack?

www.magicjack.com...

(according to the counter, no one tried it today. They might have been trying to connect with Skype.)

((the counter just updated, Skypes working!))
edit on 26-5-2011 by NightFlight because: Update

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
Apparantly caused by some strange xml file that some have a problem with, some not. Hows that for strange!

Was coming in to post the fix for the issue, but saw you already put it up. Thanks

It seems that the issue started after a windows update happened yesterday... something in the update borked the files, forcing the user to recreate it manually.

Weird issue... gotta love MS

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
just a glitch in the matrix.
worked fine for me a minute ago.
Willhelm Geitz now has a lot of power.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Hackers Crack Skype’s Proprietary VOIP Protocol
techie-buzz.com...

Expert: Skype calls nearly impossible for NSA to intercept