It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skype is dead - Global communication crisis!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Perhaps after failing to crack their encryption even after offering a multi-billion dollar bounty to anyone who could, the NSA got tired of not being able to hack in so they could watch me talking with my granddaughter in Michigan so they just nuked it.

I'm running Win7 btw.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
SKYNET IS DOWN? its the robots soon they will attack their enemies,US.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
SKYNET IS DOWN? its the robots soon they will attack their enemies,US.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
SKYPE is down = GLOBAL COMMUNICATION CRISIS?

WAAHAHAHA..

Oh man, it's getting sillier every day, surely at this rate, the world will end in a few months, due to being incapable of handling being so absolutely monstrously insane..

Skype... crisis...

Oh man, where's my chair gone, I lost it rofling...

I wish I could actually find a thing to say re this - it's like saying my corn-flakes are moldy, GLOBAL HUNGER CRISIS!!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

you need to look up a few things first. Cookies, and MAC address. With those two items, any communication can be tied to a personal PC and ultimately, ownership of that PC. The data has to be categorized somehow. Please don't be silly enough to not think you have a folder at the NSA.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I;m telling ya, Long distance relationships are failing as we speak. Love lorn teenagers are climbing onto window sills. Becuase they have to revert to EMail!!

The point being that it demonstrate just how deep we are in the communication dependance through internet protocols!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Shhhh... Shhhh... just let it happen... it'll be over soon!!

You can tell the ugly people huh, us who hate skype

** Oh

Oh and I agree, yes, it does indeed show just how reliant we are these days.. well, society is. I can and do go months without as much as a radio. Best to know what it's like when you have no choice, if you know what I mean.

it's actually pretty scary to me, to be honest... seeing how people react.

edit on 26/5/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
On twitter the japs have been going mental! but I guess they have other things to worry about!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by Laokin

you need to look up a few things first. Cookies, and MAC address. With those two items, any communication can be tied to a personal PC and ultimately, ownership of that PC. The data has to be categorized somehow. Please don't be silly enough to not think you have a folder at the NSA.

Err... what? I'm a computer programming major. I don't think you understand, sure -- if they got the packets that were your VOIP and they weren't encrypted, they would get your MAC Address, as they would have your IP, and your Router's Mac Address, and as such, your router keeps a log of all computers connected to it's Mac Address.

They would need to hack your router(Most routers are at least 512bit encrypted, but they make up to 1024 now, that would take years to crack as brute force is the only method, unless they had an encryption key from the make/model parent company), or physically have it to get your Personal Computers Mac Address, unless you are hooked up directly, which -- if you are, you are an idiot.

What I said was, you will always be at risk unless you are hosting your own private server, with an encrypted VOIP system. Reason 1, this is safe -- is because the NSA has no way to determine that those are indeed VOIP packets, and as such -- they ignore them, since this is done via automated process by software filters on NSA servers.

Reason 2, because even if they did Identify it was a VOIP packet, they wouldn't be able to decrypt it, and compile it into a file to reveal the contents.

Sure they would still know who you are, by ISP record, but they could never determine what was in the packets so they wouldn't be able to learn anything from them.

The only time you look for mac addresses, is when the crime was comitted on a public network. They then get the mac address of the computer that did the crime from the Router Records at what ever Public Hotspot you were at, by tracking the IP of the hotspot.

Please, when you are undereducated in the presence of someone who knows more than you, don't tell them they need to read... it does nothing but take people back a page...

Thanks.

Oh, and P.S.

Cookies are for storing browser information. Last time I checked, VOIP's didn't use a browser.

Cool story though.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i guess people are so embedded in tech that when the plug gets pulled its the end of the world for some.

skype is down, oh well.

global communication crisis? nope, so spare us the sensationalism.

its as acurate as me saying skype is mostly use for virtual sex.

in fact my statement holds more truth than implying that skype being down is any sort of crisis.

see skypers? the world at large just passed by and its fine.

if voip protocols were down that would be another thing.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I used Skype once.

I bought a gadget that came with something like 10 free minutes.

I signed up, used 4 of those minutes, thought "I guess that's neat".

Then 2 years later I get these emails about my paypal account not authorizing a Skype payment.

I check my paypal account and there's no transactions or attempted transactions.

I found out it was somebody elses paypal account that was being charged for skype I wasnt using.

Long story short my unused account was locked for fraud and 2 years later I havent heard anything from anyone about anything at all.

So like in another 2 years some fraud taskforce is going to kick my door in and haul me off as a terrorist?

Curse skype. Curse'em to Hell.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Skype was the deal, but they got bought out by the man.

I've read several articles in which federal police complained of not being able to intercept skype phone calls over on "threat level" (a blog on Wired.com). But now that it's being folded into the Microsuck universe, looks like it's time to move onto another voip service. Hopefully some geeks will create a true P2P encrypted voip service.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laokin

The NSA has no way to know what data that is being sent and received is. So in order for them to record VOIP, it has to be through a VOIP that they have a partnership with. (Or the server you connect to is owned by them.)

This is not entirely accurate. It depends on what you are assuming "VOIP" to be in the first place. VOIP is, by most industry definition, the ability to place phone calls over IP. With that definition in mind, NSA need do nothing special at all, as all phone calls need to be router through a LEC if they are communicating with either a cell phone or a landline.

Now, alternately, if your interpretation is IP to IP, then you might have a case there, it would be more difficult but not impossible as they also monitor ISP traffic.

If you had a VOIP system, that encrypted the data packets on the way in and out, and wasn't huge, they would never find your communication.

The ISP, wouldn't even know what that data was, they wouldn't even know it existed, because the actual bandwith that is being used is virtually null.... So essentially they can't see what they don't know is there.

Also not entirely accurate. Somewhere around the 2004-2005 timeframe, anyone developing third party (what were at the time) embeddable objects, OCX's, DLL's, or any library that supported popular encryption algorithms were forced to develop them with backdoor police and governmental use in mind for just such problems. If any encrypted packets were suspected in committing a crime, they needed a way to decrypt them without the local key.

In this case, were there archived packets they needed to disseminate, it would take little effort for them to do so.

VOIP that is setup on private servers would be indeed safe, unless say NSA is in Cahoots with Team Speak, and team speak is sending the packets to the NSA saying, here are our VOIP transmissions, you would be safe.

Because of the above it's not entirely true, but also, TeamSpeak is not a traditional VOIP either. It's really more peer to peer, peer to server voice capability; a traditional VOIP requires a SIP gateway as well as servers that support H.323, H.235, H.450 etc. I'm not saying the definition of "Voice over IP" doesn't match what Teamspeak is, just that it is not a traditional VOIP.

Teamspeak is safe. The data only goes to and from the server you connect to. If your server is hosted by you, you can be 100% sure of your privacy.

Don't kid yourself on that one.

Now with respect to Microsoft, I still maintain that the purchase was a move to force skype users onto Windows Phone and begin to eliminate it from android in particular, but iPhone too. I think MS believes that if it can corner the Skype market, then the users will have no choice but to follow. With Android having such vast market share it makes sense... but I think MS (again) underestimates the Open Source community....they will simply find another way haha
edit on 26-5-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Windows If the Skype icon is displayed in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen, right-click it and select Quit. Click Start, type "run" and press Enter. (On Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.) Type "%appdata%\skype" and click OK. Locate and delete the file shared.xml. The file may be displayed as shared if file extensions are not displayed by default on your computer. If you cannot find this file: Click Start, type "run" and press Enter. (On Windows XP: Click Start and then Run.) Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled. Repeat the instructions from the beginning. Restart Skype.

Now a manual fix that will get it running again!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't call this a conspiracy just yet. They we're transferring to a new server, it has to go down. If there was some unexplained reason for something, then, maybe.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Apparantly caused by some strange xml file that some have a problem with, some not. Hows that for strange!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well mine's back up and running. Phewww. I can still communicate with the outside world in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Global networks flake out all the time or otherwise have issues, the real problem with Skype is that some enterprising researchers have figured out how to decrypt the traffic to figure out what is being said over a conversation. The technique is pretty slick actually even if I don't completely understand it, just re-iterates that things like Skype should NOT be used for sensitive communications, email with a public/private key setup is still superior.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
LOL @ encrypted

You people seem to forget that if the government could not monitor your communications they would not allow it to even exist...

Read up on echelon ....

And that tech is 40 years old.

Only secure conversation your gonna have these days is you and your conscious....

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny

Only secure conversation your gonna have these days is you and your conscious....

Well, it's possible, but it's impractical.....one would need encryption that was used about 7 or 8 years ago, before backdoor ability existed to breach it by authorities. (I'm glad I kept my libraries lol).... and then have to distribute to each of their colleagues or friends a custom built communications application, that encrypted each voice packet on the way out and only decrypted when it reached the packets destination. And at THAT, each client also becomes it's own server too.

Again, it IS possible, but very impractical

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join