It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non believers, I have a simple non offensive question

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
Is it a case of the lights simply go out and our consciousness is snuffed out for eternity?

This would be my answer.

Originally posted by markosity1973
Do we become another form of energy? (Science sort of says yes to this one)

Yes we do. Our energy dissipates as heat when we die.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
I am atheist and I do no know what will happen to me when i die, but just because i don't know doesn't mean I will use religion as a way to explain the "afterlife". It is just human arrogance to believe that we know everything. Part of that arrogance is what drove us to create religion and believe in it. Humans used to believe that there was a rain god and prayed to it, now we know rain comes from condensation in the atmosphere. One day we will know what happens to us when we die and other big questions. Until that day religion will be here to hold those over that are afraid to admit they don't know.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You talk about religious people being arrogant and this is without a doubt the most arrogant post in this thread. You say you don't know but you judge others who don't know by the way they choose to handle the question. You are just as "religious" as the people you hold in contempt. Why should anyone else's belief make you upset?

Then some dogmatic religious person will crack back on here and quote scripture. Then you have these stupid arguments that last for three pages and at the end each party is convinced they are right. Nothing is accomplished except more strife. If you don't know then say that. Leave your criticism out of your opinion. It only serves to feed the ego.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones;
to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong."

~Jefferson

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

First of all, thank you for a thread that doesn't make all non-believers of the Bible look like heathens.
It is much appreciated.

Now onto your thread question:

Where do we go when we die? Nowhere and everywhere is my belief. The human body is made up of energy and energy cannot be made nor destroyed only transferred. I believe that when we die the energy that contains our very essence (memories are electrical) either transfers to other living things, becomes apart of the earth, or may stay intact enough to explain encounters with ghosts.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As far as a specific religion, I don't feel that any certain one has it 100%. I do believe in God and I don't think we are here on this planet by accident. I don't think the planet is here by accident. I don't know what the point of all this would be, if we didn't have souls. I feel this is like a Learning Place to help guide us beyond this earth. I definitely think there is an amazing realm beyond this one. It's the only thing sometimes, that makes all the heartache and pain make sense. Just my thoughts.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thankyou all so far for your thoughts and personal ideas. Stars for all who have posted an original reply

As I expected there is a true diversity of opinion out there among us all. I see ranges of belief from gnosticism, agnosticism through to Atheism.

I am a Christian believer, but I also respect everyone's right to choose whatever they believe. I believe God gave us our personalities and free will so we can seek out the truth. It is up to us to find him, or not, if that is what we want. I came to believe in Christianity through being born into a catholic family and personal experience - if it were not for my personal experiences I would be as atheist as the best of them.

I get what most non believers say about organised religion (and by which they usually mean Christianity) and how it has been perverted into a manipulative force that can at times do more harm than good. To me though, Christianity is all about love and compassion for humanity and respect for a higher being we call God the Father. It also helps me to believe that this life is not futile and pointless. It gives me a reason to look at the bad things people do and forgive them, even when I really don't want to. Most importantly, it helps me overcome the fear of death. I don't know about everyone else, but I like being on this planet - I dislike getting older and I really dislike the idea of having to leave this consciousness with the thought that it might simply lead to 'thats all folks' after however many years.

Christianity gives me the hope that maybe if I am kind enough to my fellow human brothers and I follow 'the rules' I have hope that when I die the lights don't go out forever. ('The rules' are basically being kind and benevolent to fellow man, respecting our Creator and not judging one another, not living a life of hypocrisy and definitely not launching into blood thirsty conquests against foreign nations)
edit on 26-5-2011 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The laughing buddha knows. He's laughing because he knows we are all creating this illusion and not aware that we are doing it. There is no death.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

It also helps me to believe that this life is not futile and pointless. It gives me a reason to look at the bad things people do and forgive them, even when I really don't want to.

There are belief systems where the understanding is that while life is not totally pointless, its really just a way of a single source of all experiencing itself. I dont subscribe to this or any other religious dogma but it's worth consideration. This idea feeds the notion that there really is no right or wrong and that you cant have one (right) without the other (wrong). We truly do create these ideas, about god and life needing reason, ourselves or have had them impressed upon us by society and our parents. Makes me wonder what pre-historic man thought about lifes purpose. Did he have the singular purpose of surviving to procreate? When I labled myself as religious I wondered if early man went to heaven or hell. I also wondered how a truely loving god could ever harm or kill anyone or anything but thats a different topic.

Most importantly, it helps me overcome the fear of death.

Without words to describe it, fear is a hightened state of alarm and serves to protect you from harm. Once you describe it with words, it becomes something that is perpetuated by thought even if it has no basis in reality and poses no immediate threat.

Fear is something in my reality that you must disassociate from lannguage and discard thoughts about it entirely before you can see things for what they really are. I'm talking mainly about the fear that is used to supress us and control us. You cannot truly be free until you are free of that kind of fear. You dont need faith or religion to be released from society induced fear. You only need to accept ast the deepest level that death is not an end.

There are cultures where death is a rite of initiation into a new reality. Call it reincarnation if you want, it's the first step into a new start. They celebrate death which, at least in my life, has been the opposite of what we are "supposed" to do.

I'm not claiming to live this way although I feel I'm getting there. We have been so brainwashed by multiple entities (society, culture, religion, friends, family) that its incredibly difficult to just do it. I dont fear death but I still dread any pain associated with it.
Wish I knew the answers in my current consciousness....
edit on 27-5-2011 by Mike.Ockizard because: more thoughts...

Christianity gives me the hope that maybe if I am kind enough to my fellow human brothers and I follow 'the rules'

So, if you had never even heard of christianity or religion in general, you would have no hope? Hopeless? Lost? I used to think this way but couldnt figure out why someone who didnt know the "rules" but led a wholesome, productive and peaceful life could be condemmed to burn in hell for eternity. That doesnt fit with a loving god. The whole "wrath" and "vengefull" god thing doesnt wash for me anymore. If god can destroy for a reason, then it leaves the door open for it to be ok if you have a good reason. If you ever watch someone die, even if they are "evil" or harming someone, you understand that no matter what the reason, its not ok to do that to someone, much less an entire population(like god does in the old testament).

Religion appears to me to be just a method to control people and justify someones agenda. Just look at the pope. living in oppulent luxury preaching and modifying religious doctrine while millions beg for food. Then theres mother Theresa, the model of compassion and love. Never hurt anyone and helped everyone. She stated that she never had a religious experience (she wasnt a liar either) and never heard god answer her prayers. She pretty much doubted yet persevered and adhered to her belief. No material rewards for her yet you can walk into any christian service and hear preaching about the rewards of having faith being happiness. prosperity etc. Theres this whole notion in most religions that my religion is the right one. So, is christianity the right one? Will all jews, muslims etc go to hell because they dont accept jesus as the son of god? Sorry, not buying it. My choice and I respect yours. Different pills for different ills. However, if your not ill then you dont need a pill.

edit on 27-5-2011 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2011 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Originally posted by wiandiii
I am atheist and I do no know what will happen to me when i die, but just because i don't know doesn't mean I will use religion as a way to explain the "afterlife". It is just human arrogance to believe that we know everything. Part of that arrogance is what drove us to create religion and believe in it. Humans used to believe that there was a rain god and prayed to it, now we know rain comes from condensation in the atmosphere. One day we will know what happens to us when we die and other big questions. Until that day religion will be here to hold those over that are afraid to admit they don't know.

See this is exactly what I'm talking about. You talk about religious people being arrogant and this is without a doubt the most arrogant post in this thread. You say you don't know but you judge others who don't know by the way they choose to handle the question. You are just as "religious" as the people you hold in contempt. Why should anyone else's belief make you upset?

Then some dogmatic religious person will crack back on here and quote scripture. Then you have these stupid arguments that last for three pages and at the end each party is convinced they are right. Nothing is accomplished except more strife. If you don't know then say that. Leave your criticism out of your opinion. It only serves to feed the ego.

In a way wiandiii may be doing it right. Just live the life without the need to understand what the purpose is. Maybe thats the way he is meant to be.

A well known philosopher said that by pursuing the ultimate answer we miss the point entirely.

It could be that everything that has happened as well as that which is yet to come, is part of a natural process. We may be on the verge of a fundamental shift in thinking that can only be triggered by mass consumption, materialism and destruction. Maybe we've been through this process repeatedly and each time we(the source) have learned something to help us get farther or create a new strategy for acheiving something. Or maybe we are a wave that builds up crests and crashes only to do it over and over again, just for the fun/excitement of it.

Like I said before, I dont have all the answers but lots of ideas. I do see the illusion we all live under. Reality is much less complicated than we make it out to be. We make it complicated by collecting and over-analyzing it. We collate and categorize it to the point where there is so much information that mis-information gets mixed in with valid information and we become totally confused.

The oldest cultures dont cling to things like we do. They have survived for thousands of years. Many perish as soon as they are taught that they can collect and own things. Pretty sad. And yes, I'd rather live naked in a hut in the jungle and subsist in harmony with the earth. No pointless job, no house filled with objects, no clutter of news, no taxes etc. Just living and experiencing life in its most raw form. Now all I need is to convince the wife to sell everything and join a tribe.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

What becomes of us when we die?

A common misconception is that Atheists do not believe in anything (nihilism)

Atheism is simply the lack of belief in a DEITY.

Atheism isn't even a disbelief in the supernatural, but i'd imagine most (rational) Atheists would want some pretty convincing evidence.

You may get pro-abortionist Atheists, you may get anti-abortionist Atheists! There is no pre-subscribed beliefs to adhere to.

What becomes of us when we die?

To answer your question personally - What became of you in 1600? what about 1872? That's how i imagine death.
edit on 27/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I'm offended.

Good question actually. Ever since I stopped giving a damn about religion I stopped thinking about questions like that for the most part. But I'm glad you are making me think about this now.

I used to have this crazy idea that every person's consciousness is connected to the creation of a random star or planet in the universe and when someone dies they go off and live in the world they created for the rest of time. This is why the universe is constantly expanded.

I had a lot of details and stuff for this theory but I forget most of them. Honestly my attitude right now is whatever happens, happens. I'll never know what's going to happen, so there is no sense trying to find out, and there is especially no sense in claiming I KNOW what will happen.

EDIT: It's coming back to me!!

Every time you imagine something you are witnessing its creation on your star. After you die you go to your star which is a compilation of every thought and imagination you have ever had. We are all Gods here on Earth, and Earth is only a sort of holding ground for us as we all create our own worlds.
edit on 28-5-2011 by Wang Tang because: It's coming back to me!!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I personally believe that as a multidimensional energy being experiencing this particular reality inside this bio-electric flesh container that this reality and who we are is not the whole of what we are. In short, we also are simultaneously existing in many, many other realities as well as this one, and when we die this part of us returns to the whole of the real us, spreading out into other facets of us, bringing with it all of the combined knowledge and experiences we have gained while in this particular form/dimension/reality. Perhaps even morphing and choosing to return to this plane of existence for even more experience gathering.

Anything and everything is possible.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

When you die you become your real self once again, free from physical bonds.

You and everyone else return home, to the place where we all come from.

Its the next step in our journey, and nothing in this physical world can prevent you from taking that step.

Its automatic without exception...

Sorry i don't classify as a "non-believer"... but i felt the need to give my 2cents on the matter

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I don't know what happens when we die, but I have a strong suspicion that I won't witness whatever happens.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

How would this guy know what happens when we die? The only person who has to lose in this debate is those who say they do know.

Those should not be considered in an intellectual debate, or at least you should immediately be on guard.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

How would this guy know what happens when we die? The only person who has to lose in this debate is those who say they do know.

Those should not be considered in an intellectual debate, or at least you should immediately be on guard.

What do i have to lose honestly... If i was looking for people to believe me perhaps i might have something to lose... IF i was stateing what i said with malicious intentions perhaps i might have something to lose.

Fortunatly neither of these are true. I mearly answered the OP's question... It doesn't matter if you believe me honestly.... some things are true regardless of belief.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

some things are true regardless of belief.

Gallileo offended the "truth" that God had placed earth at the centre of reality, and that the Sun revolved around the earth.

It's cool though because the Pope later apologised in 2000, in an age when we realise their "God" "truth" was incorrect and based on faulty judgement.

Whether you regard your "truth" as an answer to the OP is of no relevance, and carries no significant argument to it's authenticity - I'm challenging your claim to truth on the fact that you have just as much evidence as we do - None.
edit on 28/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

some things are true regardless of belief.

Gallileo offended the "truth" that God had placed earth at the centre of reality, and that the Sun revolved around the earth.

It's cool though because the Pope later apologised in 2000, in an age when we realise their "God" "truth" was incorrect and based on faulty judgement.
edit on 28/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

You can't offend the truth my friend, it doesn't take offence...nor does it care for what one believes.

I agree there was a time people believed such nonsence, but clearly that belief wasn't truth. Truth stands for all time, and though there is very little actual truth in this life(every side has an opposite) As i said, some things are true regardless of ones belief.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

some things are true regardless of ones belief.

And i agree, 2000 years ago people didn't no of disease or bacteria. It didn't change the truth that they existed.

But in regards to the unknown, i.e. the cause of the universe, "GOD" is simply a word for the unknown.

If you believe God to be a designer, you'd have to concede that he isn't kind, loving and caring - He designed species that were to be become extinct because they wern't fit enough for surival.

You'd have to believe that "the plan" is to have the Andromeda Gallaxy collide with our own in a few million years to come.

Other than that, extracting "love" "kindness" "all knowingingness" from simply observing reality is nothing more than a verbal conjuring act.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

some things are true regardless of ones belief.

And i agree, 2000 years ago people didn't no of disease or bacteria. It didn't change the truth that they existed.

But in regards to the unknown, i.e. the cause of the universe, "GOD" is simply a word for the unknown.

If you believe God to be a designer, you'd have to concede that he isn't kind, loving and caring - He designed species that were to be become extinct because they wern't fit enough for surival.

You'd have to believe that "the plan" is to have the Andromeda Gallaxy collide with our own in a few million years to come.

Other than that, extracting "love" "kindness" "all knowingingness" from simply observing reality is nothing more than a verbal conjuring act.

So because some species evolved to be unfit to continue to exist, this means God isn't loving and careing?

Its natural selection... I believe this is something you preach along with your fellow athiests is it not?

I've told you before, God does not interfear with the happenings on this planet or any other. Things are set in motion and what ever happens...so be it.

IF we destroy ourselves sometime in the future would you blame God? Since i know you don't believe in such a thing obviously you would not... some would though.

Since we are the dominate species on this planet its our responsibility to take care of our planet and the species that live within it. We've been given a place to learn and experience life. What we do with it is up to us and no one else.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join