It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Densest Matter Created in LHC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created one of the densest things known to man. They created what is known as a quark-gluon plasma and is thought to be what the entire universe was like seconds after the big bang.

The exotic material is more than a hundred thousand times hotter than the inside of the sun and is denser than a neutron star, one of the densest known objects in the universe.

The only thing that can beat this in density is a black hole. It is so dense that if you had a cubic centimetre of the stuff, it would weigh 40 billion tonnes. Scientists found out that the matter acts like a perfect liquid

"If you stir a cup of tea with a spoon and then take the spoon out, the tea stirs for a while and then it stops. If you had a perfect liquid and you stirred it, it would carry on going around forever," Evans explained.

Densest Matter Created in LHC

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
fascinating. So this perfect liquid that would continue spinning forever, can I assume that's related to a lack of friction? I've heard of super liquids and strange liquids, just never a perfect one.

for the tiny amount of potential risk involved in running the LHC, it sure is making some great headway.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Hey there, a super conductor that is frictionless? I vote perpetual motion!

EDIT: Also, anti gravity.
edit on 04/18/11 by WillNiendick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

Frictionless superconductor eh? Sounds like the heart of a neutron star to me!

chandra.harvard.edu...

Its pretty impressive that matter with similar properties is being created here by the LHC.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Didn't Tevatron or someone manage this a couple of years ago?

I guess it could be part of the warm-up, part of getting the LHC up to speed.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I wish I could understand how you can creat something that has these properties...better hope they don't accidently creat to much!
The exotic material is more than a hundred thousand times hotter than the inside of the sun
and If you had a cubic centimeter of this stuff, it would weigh 40 billion tons."
How the heck do you deal with that stuff, even a tiny bit.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

very interesting, somethat that is as dense as a black hole, but it is a perfect liquid. this is amazing

you can use the fatc it never stops moving as a generator maybe
edit on 26/5/11 by locololo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed, BUT how was this substance created? If they were smashing things around wouldn't just a tiny bit of this matter just continue in motion forever? I could be confused, but interesting article nonetheless.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Wow ... All this was done with the LHC at only half power.

I wonder if physicists will ever be able to stabilize something such as this plasma and find a general application for it besides proving theory.

Perhaps there will come a day when the greatest question of all may be answered. Why was the verse created?

SnF, Thanks for the thread OP.

-AS-

ETA:

Very interesting indeed, BUT how was this substance created? If they were smashing things around wouldn't just a tiny bit of this matter just continue in motion forever? I could be confused, but interesting article nonetheless.

It was created by colliding particles at high energy levels near the speed of light and I believe the reason why the matter does not just continue forever is that whatever exotic material is created within the LHC only last a fraction of a second (only at the instant of the collision basically). The remnants of the collision then become embedded in the wall of the LHC where vectors, velocities, etc. can be analyzed and mapped.

Very layman terms but I think this is a fairly accurate explanation.
edit on 26-5-2011 by AeonStorm because: eta

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Just curious... If the only thing denser than this stuff is a black hole... And the LHC was at half power at the time this stuff was created.. See where I'm going with this? Is there actually a danger of creating something so dense that is collapses in on itself and forms a micro black hole?

I'm not a physicist (Obviously!) does anyone actually know? Is it possible?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Please tell me how they created something 10 times hotter than the sun and did't have any problems?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
good find

but i really want to know what a couple of other posters have asked.. how the hell do they handle something that hot and dense? and where is it now?
if this is only half power.. i really hope they dont turn this machine up any higher...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

This is amazing news; as scary as it sounds i think what they are creating is on a small scale extremely small. But still i'm glad this experiment is going on, on the other side of the world ! In Europe

So i wonder what kind of technology or science will come of this discovery and/or feat.

Denser than a neutron star.... thats nuts considering a teaspoon of a neutron star weighs as much as a large city or 900 pyramids of Giza.

So this would be the heaviest state of matter other than a black hole? We will have to wait and see time will tell...

This seems to be the heaviest state of bayronic matter we have witnessed i surmise then..other than black holes but we can't *See * Them
edit on 26-5-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

The best answer I have is because the event and resultant material happens on the atomic level and lasts only milliseconds.

If any cares to elaborate on this please do. Also, If anyone is truly curious as to how a particle accelerators information is out there

Respect,

-AS-
edit on 26-5-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So much piggybacking and wild speculative theory, why is that things like Darwinian Evolution and Big Bang, are spoken of as fact now? Big Bang theory is just ridiculous fringe, and Darwinian Evolution is a giant paradox.

I'd really love it if these scientists would be more careful with their words.

They didn't create any quark-gluon plasma, they think they observed it.

If they had created it, it would have destroyed the LHC.

I'm all for theory, but this is just theory, piggybacking on theory, piggybacking on theory.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
they create this matter on the Planck scale which is very very very tiny.... this matter is only in existence for fractions of a nanosecond before it becomes unstable and falls apart. 1 cm3 to the LHC is like you taking a bath in the ocean.....

as for temperature again the duration is for such a tiny moment in time and such a tiny "space" relative to our observation.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I must think deeply at this post OP, if the LHC isn't even running at full power yet, what the heck are they gonna do/find when they ramp up to 14TeV. I don't subscribe to the doomsday theories being handed about, but it sure makes you think.... are they playing with stuff they actually, really, don't know squat about? We didn't know about the internal combustion engine until someone decided to exploded fuel vapours in an enclosed space, this time it's different, they are playing with "the conditions moments before the "Big Bang". Good post, S&F.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Oh boy ! Just wait until they actually do make a black hole, ain't that gonna be fun.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

I think they did actually create it other wise how would they have known its properties and observed it. You see this is the reason it doesn't destroy their facility because the state of matter they create only last for an extremely short time. Like a billionth or millionth of a second..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If they really created something so dense wouldn't it have fell through the ground at CERN and continuously made it's way to the center of the earth?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join