It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oops! FBI agent seizes Ferrari for 'investigation', takes it for a test spin.. and smashes it (the

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Oops! FBI agent seizes Ferrari for 'investigation', takes it for a test spin.. and smashes it (then refuses to pay $750k damages) Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

When the FBI managed to track down a stolen top-of-the-range Ferrari in 2008, its owner was understandably delighted.
But relief turned to red rage after one of the officers looking after the vehicle before its return took it out for a spin in Kentucky, lost control and smashed it into a hedge.
Now the owner is suing the U.S. Justice Department, driven to court after it refused to pay the $750,000 in damages to the wrecked sports car.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

# you we are above the law! 'Cos we are the law!

The Southfield, Michigan-based company filed a lawsuit in March, which will be heard in June, after the Justice Department refused to pay.
Motors Insurance has also filed a lawsuit to try to get hold of records about the incident through the federal Freedom of Information Act.
The Justice Department recently responded to the lawsuit by saying it is not liable for certain goods when they're in the hands of law enforcement.
The government also has refused to release most documents related to the crash, saying most records are exempt.
'We don't really know what happened. We've asked for a lot of information,' Motors Insurance attorney Richard Kraus said.

Does this corruption know no limits?

Land of the free?!? Only if you are in law enforcement or government

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-5-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
lol reminds me of a guy here that test drove a vette while on duty. he was T-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light. not his fault but he did get suspended for test driving it while on duty lol.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This reminds me of an issue that happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

He had the most bad*** '76 Stingray on the planet. He had dumped GOBS of money into this car as it was intended to be a showcar.

One tragic night, some POS stole the car and it was never heard from again. (It was not insureed).

After about a year, he received a phone call from our local PD and they informed him that they had found the car. His elation was soon ended when the cop on the other line informed him that they will NOT be returning him his car, but that he had an opportunity to retain ownership in a fair auction.

It seems that the dirtbag that stole the car was also a bigtime drug dealer and had been arrested. All of his belongings INCLUDING STOLEN ITEMS found in his house, were to be auctioned off under the terms of the RICO Act.

He never did get the car back, and he is STILL going through the legal "blah-blah-blah" in his attempt in suing the PD and all agencies involved.

Totally sucks.

Of course, the story presented by the OP is horrendous as well.

Where is the line between "legal" and "WTF?"

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

That is shocking! Because the thief of the car was a criminal your friends ownership of he car is superseded?

Truly WTF? Like above, how can the police get away with these actions?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Exaggerated, Top of the range? That's a Ferrari F50, Production year 1995.

The car does not cost $750,000.
edit on 26-5-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Bottom line, a federal agent took a vehicle that did ot belong to him, and which he had no business driving, and broke it, big time. Now, it looks like the federal agencies are telling everyone to suck it up and admitting zero liability.
What a grand example they are setting! If they can admit no guilt and get away with these things, then they surely have no cause to prosecute others for similar offences.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

ok point taken, is their headline not mine. Really its the principal of the matter that the authorities trashed it, one could argue willfully and refuse to compensate the legal owner of the vehicle!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

not your fault dude.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

How does the law expect people to respect ownership and property laws, when the government and government employees like law enforcement can't even respect their own freaking laws?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
They take whatever they want.

Forfeiture and seizure are some of the most criminal laws on the books and they love them.

All any cop has to do is say "gee, this looks suspicious" and whatever he wants is his.

Some of them go so far as to call out vaginas as suspicious. Cop rape is a huge problem. Who'd believe a prostitute or junkie anyway?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
WHAT HAPPENED TO SETTING THE EXAMPLE? sorry, i say if big banks can go bankrupt and be bailed out why cant i, but yesterday i got a letter in the mail for 40.00 bill from electric from 5 years ago saying i havnt payed and they can call cops and have me locked up bla bla bla.

if they can take someones car after finding it stolen and drive it around , well what makes them any different from the ones who stole it? And to wreck it probally ment the where speeding (crime) and wrecked it....then refused to pay for it.

So by their example i can now go steal cars and wreck them and say forget you to the owner.

i hate cops

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter
This reminds me of an issue that happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

He had the most bad*** '76 Stingray on the planet. He had dumped GOBS of money into this car as it was intended to be a showcar.

A customized Corvette?? >shudder< Not quite kosher. But what else are you going to do with a '76? That was the year they came with a Vega steering wheel.

That is a real horror story. In the case of assets forfeiture it is not the person that is being "arrested" but the goods themselves. That story serves to illustrate that point. What a world we've come to now. How can one be sure the criminal that steals their car is not a drug criminal? Don't you just love Prohibition and all the wonderful things it brings society? The cure is worse, much worse than the disease. Like removing a lung to cure a sinus sniffle.

As for the Ferrari, isn't someone, some agency responsible for the well-being of articles in their custody? Apparently not. It would be like recovering a stolen side of beef. The police are not responsible for refrigerating it. It will spoil.

edit on 26-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why am i not shocked by this

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Hmmm
feel kind of sorry for that poor guy
Imagine the temptation... a high class Ferrari, that you would never ever come close to otherwise
I know I would be tempted to take it for a nice spin too
Only human as I am

Not saying it was justified, just that geeeh I understand this guy

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
My q is how did the dude who stole it get the key as you just can't by the key for an F50 on ebay. Ferrari requires that you show proof of ownership before they issue you a key.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MachiventaMelchizedek
WHAT HAPPENED TO SETTING THE EXAMPLE? sorry, i say if big banks can go bankrupt and be bailed out why cant i, but yesterday i got a letter in the mail for 40.00 bill from electric from 5 years ago saying i havnt payed and they can call cops and have me locked up bla bla bla.

if they can take someones car after finding it stolen and drive it around , well what makes them any different from the ones who stole it? And to wreck it probally ment the where speeding (crime) and wrecked it....then refused to pay for it.

So by their example i can now go steal cars and wreck them and say forget you to the owner.

i hate cops

It really seems like our law enforcement is going the way of the third world...taking and doing whatever they want because they have a badge.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The Justice Department recently responded to the lawsuit by saying it is not liable for certain goods when they're in the hands of law enforcement. The government also has refused to release most documents related to the crash, saying most records are exempt.

That's funny, I recognize those words and know they say something but all I can read is: "Piss off, we are above the law."

One more case of the American government believing what's theirs is theirs and whats yours is theirs. Seems like McCarthy may have been right after all.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by laffoe

Yeah totally agree. Human nature and all that to go for a spin, but there must be culpability and a care of responsibility for the repair bill to be footed by the agency that employed the guy who totalled it. They can then sue the employee to recover the funds if they need to.

It is insane for them to refuse to release documentation relating to the crash to the insurers who paid out on the car and also to say they are not responsible for things in their custody. I just cannot get my brain to compute this. We hear about the Patriot act and all sorts of intrusions into daily life, but this?!? At least I can understand why people want certain laws I find distasteful, this I just can't get my head round in any shape or form. Imagine if there was 10 million dollars in custody from a bank robbery and it went missing or some such misfortune befell the loot, then is the banks insurers going to say 'ah well, we'll foot the bill for the robbery anyway?' Of course not, but under the law as it stands it would just be tough # for them. And the officer that lost the loot would be on the next jet to mexico

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Um, yeah, it probably was worth what they are claiming. You looked for any F50 prices these days? $650,000 to over $1,000,000. Rediculous that the JD would deny responsibility. They shouldn't have been driving that car in the first place. If it had to be moved, it should have been moved by a profesional exotic car handler, not an idiotic FBI agent.
Poor guy was hoping to buy back his very rare machine from the sound of the article, but now it's likely not repairable and is total loss.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join