It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Is this a stab at Chinese humanitarian policies again?

They're prisoners of crime, most of them deserve worse than being entertained via video game while sitting down.

It may be long hours but it sure as hell beats doing manual labor.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente

It may be long hours but it sure as hell beats doing manual labor.

Grinding gold in these games is about as fun as sodomizing your eye socket with a screw driver.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by silent thunder

I am of the opinion that all online game companies need to do what EVE Online did. They made monthly subscriptions able to be traded for online currency, so real world money could legitimately purchase in game currency. And people that could not afford to keep their account online could trade in game currency for a subscription. I think the system works great and farming for in game currency is nearly gone from the game. If more companies did that there would be no exploitation of people to farm in game currency.

Here's some EVE Online news you may find interesting. It appears their solution was not exactly working.

EVE Online Botnet battelfield
edit on 26-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I really don't think they would have so many computers in a prison in China. So, no, I don't buy that story.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I don't think the prisoners are actually 'playing' the game. If they were, they'd be using what gold they mine to improve their characters and most likely wouldn't be complaining about it.

It's not the case. The prisoners are forced to mine a specific amount of gold whenever they play, and if they don't make their quota, they're beaten.

That doesn't exactly sound like a fun recreational activity to me!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by milocrab

wow is made for old people with half assed computers. it could play on my moms 800 mhz pentium with 256 MB ram and onboard intel video with enough FPS to farm in certain areas

i can run 5 instances of wow on my PC no problem alone. usually have it and rift open while i play other games to stay in touch with people.
edit on 26-5-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

these are probably the people whispering us to buy gold every 5 minutes from various sites or the guys hacking us and cleaning out bags and guild banks, i always threw racial chinese slurs at them but never knew i hit the race mark on the head.
edit on 26-5-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Bought 25k gold a while back, they got that to me in about 5 hours...not bad...not bad at all
edit on 26-5-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Now I just use a bot...free easy and no torturous hours of playing game for the prisoners

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLogicalist
Now I just use a bot...free easy and no torturous hours of playing game for the prisoners

They make machines that automatically tote up points for you?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Originally posted by TheLogicalist

They make machines that automatically tote up points for you?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

Yep basically a software program.

Pretty common in mmorpg's.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Slavery?

Seriously?

They are prisoners.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I used to play an online game when I was younger and sold my online "gold" for about 3 grand (USD)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

What do you call it when you keep someone in your custody - against their will - then profit off their labor?

Brotip: Slavery.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Damn Chinese gold farmers!!

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for buying gold now or not...

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by milocrab
I really don't think they would have so many computers in a prison in China. So, no, I don't buy that story.

You're joking right??

Where do you think half if not all the parts to your computer come from???

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I used to play runescape (A long, long time ago) and there used to be these level 3 characters running around everywhere with level 99 WC skills chopping down endlessly.

Used to frustrate me so much that people could make (Fictional) money like that because they would pay over the net for this to happen.

So yes I can confirm it used to happen when I was an online gamer, many moons ago.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
being a gold miner>being organ mined.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join