It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work

www.guardian.co.uk

As a prisoner...Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.

Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old...reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
This is one of those ideas that seems to bizzare to be true...until you realize it's not at all implausible.

I guess there are lots of things to say about this, from China-specific issues to more widespread concerns about what humanity values, how it treats prisoners, how we relate to games and other forms of technology. Have at it.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I like the idea.

You've to admit, it is better than nothing.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
No but what it seems to be happening is that the prison guards are profiteering on the prisoners. This is pretty much a human rights violation.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I am of the opinion that all online game companies need to do what EVE Online did. They made monthly subscriptions able to be traded for online currency, so real world money could legitimately purchase in game currency. And people that could not afford to keep their account online could trade in game currency for a subscription. I think the system works great and farming for in game currency is nearly gone from the game. If more companies did that there would be no exploitation of people to farm in game currency.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nahsik
No but what it seems to be happening is that the prison guards are profiteering on the prisoners. This is pretty much a human rights violation.

I would prefer the guards being paid using this gaming scheme, rather than using the money of law abiding citizens.

What do you think?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

I would prefer the guards being paid using this gaming scheme, rather than using the money of law abiding citizens.

What do you think?

I think slavery is wrong no matter how you rationalize it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
apparently these guys never heard of pirox bots

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Great all of the wow gold my kids bought was not child labor and now I feel bad for scolding them about it.
They were exploiting criminals not kids.

Actually the scheme does sound very plausible, it would bring some recreation to the prison populace and even give them a "social" life of sorts, without risk to the free populace.
Then the state may sell the online credits and support the criminals.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
lol I bet half the younger inmates in US prisons would LOVE to play World of Warcraft as part of their sentence

"...I sentence you to 2 years of WoW..."
"cool, can I get started right away? I already got an 85 Death Knight and we got a raid tonifht.."
edit on 5/26/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
I think slavery is wrong no matter how you rationalize it.

Depends what type of Slavery we are talking about, right?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This only has 3 stars?

Amazing. That's my kind of prison. Too bad it was probably World of Warcraft or something like that.

S+F

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

Civil rights violation? People's Republic of China? No. Never. Nothing to see here.

China is decent to its middle and upper class, but if you think the government is hard on the lower class in the States, China could show you a thing or two.

The PLA don't much have a concept of "countrymen," at least not in the stewardly manner we've come to think of it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

There is a lot of truth to that...cash is king, even (especially?) in the People's Republic. People seem to forget how sharp the class divide is in China, which is usually portrayed (by itself, as well as by Western dupes who should know better) as some sort of classless Communist bulwark where, whatever else the problems, class is not one of them. Wrong. And folks need to be reminded of this, repeatedly, because it’s the key to understanding so much of what goes on in China.

I remember over 20 years ago when I first moved to East Asia, I was geting some advice from a friend in the area and he told me to "always dress sharp wherever you go in Asia, because in Asia, if you ain't got money you ain't ****, and everybody knows it." More than a little simplistic, to be sure, and the same can certainly be said of the west, and anwhere else, if you really come down to it. Even so, there is a starkness to the rich/poor divide in Asia that is often far more extreme than you are likely to find in most parts of the West.

edit on 5/26/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
lol I bet half the younger inmates in US prisons would LOVE to play World of Warcraft as part of their sentence

"...I sentence you to 2 years of WoW..."
"cool, can I get started right away? I already got an 85 Death Knight and we got a raid tonifht.."
edit on 5/26/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

That would be good because in the Word of Warcraft they won't have the ability to commit crime but will still have the ability to interact with normal people instead of crazy criminals.

The reason why so many in US prison system have a high chance of re-offending has much to do with the environment. Imagine being surrounded with criminals, from fraudsters, to violent robbers. From girl bashers, to child molesters. From racists to arsonists...

The only thing that you have a potential of learning is crime, because that is the only crowd you interact with.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
China has been known to target people with bogus charges just to to fill factories with workers.
www.solidaritycenter.org...
www.david-kilgour.com...

Many things that are not even criminal in countries of the west will get you sent to prison in china.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Spot on from my limited research and analysis of the region. China's class struggle also seems to be fused in with indigenous and cultural struggles as well. I know the Jiangxi Province has been a hotbed for civil unrest in the past, and apparently just suffered two more bombings aimed at government buildings.

Reading about the way educated young people seeking jobs cram into downtown apartment buildings like sardines is just about all the evidence one needs to understand how rough life is outside the middle-upper class barrier. The Neoliberal wave continues to crest however, and it seems that there is likely no end to the sharp class divides in China. For that matter, the sharp class divide continues to grow unabated in the West. Throw in the North and South for good measure.

Keep throwing the poor laboring class into the furnace like coal so the top 20-40% (depending on country) can ride the train. No telling when you might be thrown under it for the change in your pocket though.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Ive always though that there are modern day sweat shops, where they just grind Gold all day on WoW or Isk on Eve, or some other currency on another MMOG

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
China has been known to target people with bogus charges just to to fill factories with workers.
www.solidaritycenter.org...
www.david-kilgour.com...

Many things that are not even criminal in countries of the west will get you sent to prison in china.

Over exaggeration in my opinion, US has more prisoners than any nation in the world, and US judges have been investigated for taking bribes from Private Prison complexes. So let's be honest here, I would prefer to work in prison any day and do some good for the country, instead of taking the hard working tax payer's money (to get fed, clothed and a roof over my head) and do nothing to help them in the long run.

I'm talking about personal experience here, I have been to prison so I know what I'm talking about.

I would rather play games, work, or anything useful than to go and play like little kids in the yard.

Obviously many will say no, many who want to continue their criminal activities within the prison complex, running outside gangs from within the prison, and recruiting new members from within etc, even controlling guards, as recent investigations have shown.

It is important to keep people busy, how do you expect people to change when you let them live the same criminal lifestyle inside prisons? What is the purpose of prisons?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This as been going for years i suspect. 2002- 2003.
The people to blame are those dumb online players who buy a virtual currency .
and its a plague to every MMO.
The way the chinese mafia is running this industry is like backing up a cpu loan with member of the family.
They offer working opportunities and if you fail, your family will have to pay price, mafia style.

Theres stories, in Italy, about chinese sub contractors for Dolce and Gabanna and Versace who employ illegal immigrants who have to pay those kind of prices for a 4- 5 year illegal trip to Italy.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

I haven't found the video i wanted but with those 2 you'll get the picture.
We live in a strange world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join