It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black boxes for vehicles to be compulsory by next month

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Black boxes for vehicles to be compulsory by next month

www.dailymail.co.uk

By next month, every driver in the U.S. will be required to have a black box in their vehicle.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will declare that all automobiles are required to contain the event data recorder - similar to those found in aircraft - in order to monitor driving habits and provide a snapshot of the final moment of impact if the car crashes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well I can't believe this hasn't been picked up earlier.
This is a serious intrusion into peoples lives.
The thin end of the wedge folks, I advise all US folks wanting freedom to make some waves and raise this issue with their congressman / women.
Blackboxes now but what's next?
Satellite-controlled vehicles?
Microchips in them?
Peoples?!!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
wow ,they seem to be advancing at a rapid pace,not taking a no from no one.or even asking.seems like it went down in a hush.makes you wonder when things are being done so sly.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

if "they" require me to get and install a "black-box" in my 20year-old car,,, "they" better tell me about it...

i live in washington state,,, haven't heard a peep...

and "they" better PAY for it also...

I hate calling things --"FALSE"-- but in this case.. we,, the USA,, would have heard about it --if it was true.. by now...!!!?!??!?!
edit on 5/25/11 by darrman because: add a line

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I challenge the veracity of this.This is not true.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

By next month, every driver in the U.S. will be required to have a black box in their vehicle.

I don't fully understand this... So, is this for all new cars to have them factory installed, or will I need to go out and have one installed into my car?

If it's the latter, I'm not paying for that #.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Nobody sent me any notice requiring me to install black boxes in our family vehicles. From what I've heard most newer vehicles already have them, but I don't know if that's fact or not. The problem with the whole idea is determining who would pay for these supposed black boxes. The government can't afford it, and I'd say most of the citizens can't afford it either! With the cost of living so greatly increased in the last few years I just don't see people giving up with their grocery money to enable the government to track their whereabouts! We as a nation just can't afford to foot the bill for anymore bull malarkey!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
A bit late on this thread. Sorry.

abovetopsecret

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Never going to happen

According to the U.S. Department of Transpotation Statistical Records Office there are approximately 62 million registered vehicles in the U.S. at the current time and appox. 6.4 million unregistered functioning vechicles. Roughly 32% of those two numbers combined would account for Semi-Trucks, construction, heavy machinery vehicles. Stats accurate as of 02/01/05.

Read more: wiki.answers.com...

Its about fear again people. Just add up the man hours stop and think sometimes

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Thanks for letting me know...If my car has one I will find it tomorrow and rip that piece of junk out for my car. If I don't have one, I never will...I'll set my car afire before I add some more of their $hit to it.....From cradle to grave...seems they really mean it.....
edit on 25-5-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I ain't installing no box in my car unless it has a sub woofer in it, however I DID install a 12 volt 1gpm pump in my trunk connected to a holding tank and six spray nozzles that run under the rear bumper. The tank holds a little "extra" oil in case I need it and the nozzles "purge" the tank and spray it on the ground behind me. Of course I would only do this if my car caught fire or I was being chased by muslims.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is already a factor in any newish model car.

The information of the last 15 seconds is stored on the cars computer. Breaking, acceleration, and possibly sudden turning.

abcnews.go.com...

The EDR is known commonly as a black box and has been installed in some vehicles since 1996. About 60 million vehicles now have them and 85 percent of new cars this year will come standard with a "black box," according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates.

If you are getting upset about this you must realize your vehicle most likely already has one. Most any car enthusiast can attest to this.

www.slate.com...

Airbag-equipped cars made by General Motors (which owns Cadillac) have had SDMs since 1974.

www.foxnews.com...

No one disputes that Michelle Zimmermann (search) lost control of her 2002 GMC Yukon as she drove on a two-lane highway in Massachusetts one snowy afternoon last January. Her friend died after the SUV slammed into a tree.
Zimmermann claims she was driving within the posted 40 mph speed limit, but like millions of other Americans the 33-year-old didn't know that her vehicle had a "black box." Monitoring her driving, it recorded the last few seconds before the crash.

www.usatoday.com...

Today an estimated 30 million cars contain these "black boxes" — they're actually silver — known as event data recorders (EDRs). Most record simple data such as whether airbags deployed or if passengers wore seatbelts. But most cars from General Motors and Ford, as well as some Toyotas and Hondas, track even more information, including vehicle and engine speed, and whether the driver was accelerating or braking.

Check the dates on the articles.

Raist

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
First of all..it's going to be standard on NEW cars sold in U.S.
www.examiner.com...
The article says so.

Second... How's that cash for cars working out for you?

We just got rid of the entire secondary used car industry.

Make payments on a NEW car or drive one 20 years old OR older..

No More self maintanance. China got the cars to melt or drive....

Hmmm This IS a conpsiracy sight..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I question whether or not this is really going to happen. With that said...

This is another attempt by TPTB to intrude on people lives under the guise of safety and protection. Planes are understandable, hundreds of lives are in the hands of pilots every day, but this is going too far. They want to monitor my driving habits? Really!? Well, they monitor my cellphone, facebook, and internet traffic, so why the heck not.

I like how TPTB are using every agency at their disposal to clamp the shackles on the populace. I know that is the reason why these agencies exist at all, but it seems like in recent days they have really been pushing the limit. Like they're testing to see how much they can get away with, which seems like total unchecked martial law. Bah!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectBlue
I question whether or not this is really going to happen.

See my post just up from yours.

In most cases it is already happening and has been happening.

Insurance companies can use this information against you in cases and it could cost you out of pocket instead of costing them. Like the saying goes there are three sides to every story only one of those is the truth. The last few seconds stored on the "black box" is not going to lie.

Again it has been around for years in most every vehicle.

Raist

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
why it gotta be a black box?

Racist.

Lmao jk.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Do you think people with their $150K mercedes CLS 550 AMG will let anyone lay a hand on their vehicle?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Nonsense. I bet there's an i-phone app for that.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
if "they" require me to get and install a "black-box" in my 20year-old car,,, "they" better tell me about it...
Read the article, they've been factory installed for about 20 years, so there is a chance are you already have one. But you may not. It depends on the vehicle.

money.cnn.com...

How do I know if my car has an Event Data Recorder?

Check your owner's manual. Look in the index for "Event Data Recorder." Several states already require car manufacturers to disclose the use of EDRs in the manual. Toyota, Ford and GM all disclose the presence of EDR systems in vehicle owners' manuals and detail exactly what data is recorded and stored by them.

Originally posted by Raist
This is already a factor in any newish model car.
Yes, even early 1990s which isn't so newish.

Originally posted by Caji316
Thanks for letting me know...If my car has one I will find it tomorrow and rip that piece of junk out for my car.
Let us know how that goes.

How can I remove or disable the EDR?

You can't. The data produced come from various vehicle sensors, such as the anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control. The data recording function is so thoroughly integrated into a car's electronics that there is no way to completely disable it without also disabling safety features in a way that would violate federal law.
With this new law, on top of all that, it will also be a crime I suppose. And the fact that you already disconnected it before the law went into effect may not get you off the hook.

If you really don't want one, better to buy an old car that doesn't have one, then they can't accuse you of a crime.

Apparently they can retrieve data from the airbag control module too, so you better check into that:
www.harristechnical.com...

Originally posted by ProjectBlue
I question whether or not this is really going to happen.
riiiiiiight.

Originally posted by brindle
I challenge the veracity of this.This is not true.
riiiiight.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Read the article,

SO few do that.

Just read the headline and fill in the blanks with assumptions!!

edit on 25-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join