It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Factory Farms Produce 100 Times More Waste Than All People In the US Combined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Seeing this kind of environmental catastrophe. I think we are going about the way humans eat all wrong. We know from science that as we go up the energy pyramid their is lower creature population, where as vegetables and plant are abundant. Our appetite is already driving the tuna extinct. The earth can't tolerate more carnivores. If humans are going consume more meat, they will have to raise more animal, and more food to feed them, putting stress on the planet. The only way to go is become a vegetarian. I sure would not like animal manure polute fresh water.

David Kirby, author of Animal Factory, The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment, tells story after story in his book of factory farms discharging waste irresponsibly -- sometimes on purpose, and sometimes not. As Karen Hudson, whose story is told in the book, says, "Factory farms are dangerous to the environment; they are ticking time bombs of manure just waiting to be spilled into public waters."

The simple fact is that factory farms produce over 100 times more waste than all American humans produce combined. In the past, a pastured cow might disperse waste over an acre or more; how can farmers responsibly deal with the waste of 1,000, 5,000, or even 10,000 or more animals when they are crammed in tightly together?

www.activistpost.com... %28Activist+Post%29&utm_content=FaceBook

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It depends on were you live how badly people eat. Many people in the USA eat way to much red meat. I don't know about other countries. One guy I worked with spends $500USD a month just on red meat. That is more red meat than I eat in two years.

I totaly agree people should change their eating habits. I don't think vegitarian is the solution though. If everyone swtiched to all green then crops would quickly be wiped out. There should be a proper balance between red meat, fish, grain and veggies. Also people simply need to eat LESS! I can't believe how fat people are getting in my area. It is disturbing.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Midnightsun:

I respect your concern in this matter. I think, however, that the solution to this growing problem is literally right in the forefront. Those who are the consumers, and those who are the producers simply have to expend the energy and mental thought to make the solutions work.

Biomass Energy: Manure for Fuel

The livestock industry is creating economic opportunity for agribusiness in Texas. Beef, dairy cattle, hogs and poultry manure, also known as feedlot biomass, can be put to practical use as a renewable energy source, with dry manure and liquid manure producing different types of energy. Manure can be used for gas, electricity and fuel for a boiler, or it can be burned directly for cooking or lighting.

The best approach to using animal wastes for power depends on the amount of moisture and non-biodegradable solid materials that are contained in the manure. Both methods solve a manure disposal problem while mitigating odors and negative environmental effects.

www.seco.cpa.state.tx.us...

Choosing to be a vegetarian, omnivore or carnivore is a personal choice, as it should be. Being responsible in dealing with our environment and keeping it viable, clean and healthy needs to be a given in the actions of all concerned. This can be accomplished with effort, commitment and with a proven method, in this case.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
People in Africa use manure for fire fuel, it really burns well.

Our local trash burning power plant had a life of around five years before it proved to be too costly to operate. Not sure if places like Missouri with greater livestock ever considered a manure power plant. Yes it may stink but so do paper mills, and many other industries.

10-second search for uses for cow manure revealed this link.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think the author is not considering ALL of the waste produced by humans and their machines, cows just crap, it doesn't pass the common sense threshold.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think resorting to cannablism would ease alot of the burden placed on our planet, much more so than being a grazeing animal. The problem is there are to many of us, plain and simple. We don't need to prepare for more people to feed we need to teach people that there is more to life than being breeding machines for the PTB. As far as animal waste in the rivers, to late. Fish been crapping in the water for years and I saw a coyote piss on a rock the other day and I bet some splashed in. Also I never heard of a pig that dumped PCB, Dioxin, DDT, Mercury or anything other than nitrates in a river. Can we say the same?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

As Karen Hudson, whose story is told in the book, says, " [color=gold] Factory farms are dangerous to the environment; they are ticking time bombs of manure just waiting to be spilled into public waters."

She's right about the Factory part.

As to producing more waste than cities,
is that really possible in our rampant consumerist societies?
I mean, they can't really be including all the massive landfills,
and mountains made from dumping when calculating the waste from cities.

Can they?

David Grouchy

edit on 25-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaydeePNW
It depends on were you live how badly people eat. Many people in the USA eat way to much red meat. I don't know about other countries. One guy I worked with spends $500USD a month just on red meat. That is more red meat than I eat in two years.

I totaly agree people should change their eating habits. I don't think vegitarian is the solution though. If everyone swtiched to all green then crops would quickly be wiped out. There should be a proper balance between red meat, fish, grain and veggies. Also people simply need to eat LESS! I can't believe how fat people are getting in my area. It is disturbing.

We are wasteful in the land of plenty. Too often I hear of people who do not eat left-overs, they actually wrap them up, refrigerate them, then toss a week later. It is a sin and an insult to Mother Earth to treat her plants and animals so carelessly.

But with all the incredibly tasty fast foods, treats, junk foods & sodas available for pocket change WTH can we expect. Food galore, yummy and cheap. Meanwhile, people yelling OMG! you're all so overweight! LOL we really can't expect people to be trim and healthy if they eat like unsupervised 12 yr olds.

I've finally given up on being a fat POS. I'm learning how to eat more well. My Dr gave me a pamphlet with good tips, here's one:

SECTION YOUR PLATE

1/4 carbs, like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sweet potatos
1/4 protein: lean meat, fish, skinless chicken, tofu
1/2 veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, or a salad

If you want less waste and less Waist in your life, you can find more info at 1on1health.com Join me in losing excess weight, I'm just starting on this myself.

new topics

top topics

join