It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just spotted a Shill Personality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
One hopes that one day spotting ridiculous "sophisticated" forms of "Eliza" will give way to actually getting to talk to a "Jane." en.wikipedia.org...(Ender%27s_Game)

Until then - Golems made by liar, scoundrels, and salesmen it is.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Well, it could be a someone.

However, I would suspect in this particular case it is a program.

I also suspect it is possible to set up a system where you could have the most useful program personalities (been accepted to a degree by their forum), that have routines to recognize being recognized, and possibly alert a real person to come on and re-establish rapport or "save" a personality.

Program "personalities" don't respond to what you are really saying. It responds to key words, or phrases.

Did you see this news ?
This software that has been developed to create a multitude of persona's that can be run by one person, or a whole army that can be run by a few.

"There are a variety of social media tricks we can use to add a level of realness to all fictitious personas," it said.

(snip)

As the text explains, the software would require licenses for 50 users with 10 personas each, for a total of 500. These personas would have to be "replete with background , history, supporting details, and cyber presences that are technically, culturally and geographacilly consistent."

(snip)

Though many questions remain about how the military would apply such technology, the reasonable fear should be perfectly clear. "Persona management software" can be used to manipulate public opinion on key information, such as news reports. An unlimited number of virtual "people" could be marshaled by only a few real individuals, empowering them to create the illusion of consensus.

You could call it a virtual flash mob, or a digital "Brooks Brothers Riot," so to speak: compelling, but not nearly as spontaneous as it appears.
SOURCE

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I've heard of it. It is, was, continues to be, an inevitable end product of our digital ghosts.

If online I can be anyone, surely I can be many someones. If those someones don't require a whole lot of personality or believability due to their topic of interest or shared interest, then why can't I just macro my many someones and give them a set of responses designed to push people off, or make people defend my many stupid ghosts?

Inevitable. Annoying. But inevitable.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

They either parrot the OS or diss CT with a scripted cute remark then go back to "trying to change your mind".
They seem to register in the late 2010-2011 dates and the topics they post on give them away.

Uh oh, it looks like my gig is up (liejunkie looks around room, over shoulder

Seriously though. I read some pretty good comments and then there is the WTF one's. Sometimes I swear the same guy is having a conversation with himself with four of himselves

I have noticed it....
edit on 8-8-2011 by liejunkie01 because: smiley face dude

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
LOL! I've come into contact with these bots. Ever go to social media sites create a new "male" person and within minutes get invited to be friends with some hotties?

And I'd crack up too if I saw someone raging on, in a row with a machine

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Shhiiiiiiiiiil!

do ShillBots exist yet? Shill article-spinning? (is it called Shilling?
)

like automated personalities online to push one or more product(s), idea(s), or disinformation(s)?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yep, they be up.

One of the things I like best about the ones I've ever seen, like Eliza, is that they seem to come off as aggressive.

In my spare time it amuses me to consider the idea that this is how an AI will seem - aggressive.

<< 1   >>

join