It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents sue makers of alcoholic drink for 15yr old sons death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm from Centreville, VA and my brother was actually friends with this kid. It is a very tragic story indeed, but this is not the way to cope. I never heard anything about him getting paranoid though. It is true he was drunk, and it is suspected he was high. He was also bi-polar.

As the story goes, he was exhibiting increasingly erratic behavior before hand. They went to the concert, he got drunk, was driven home, got into a fight with his parents and ran out to the road where he sat to get hit by a car.

Parents around here, especially in that community, are completely oblivious. Many of them are not home half the time on business trips. I've been to many a party where a friend had parents away for days.

Should they blame Four Loko? Undoubtedly it played a part in this tragedy, but it was by no means what caused it. Four loko had like 4 cups of coffee in it, and enough booze to equal maybe 3 shots. I remember the first times I drank coffee / alcohol how it affected me. Anyone who doesn't drink alcohol or coffee regularly will behave erratically. Coffee, to someone who doesn't drink coffee, will make a person lose inhibitions and behave just as irrationally as alcohol, and copled with alcohol, well you get the idea when the person is already unstable.

I don't think they have a case. They lost control of him and are responsible for their son drinking underage. They should be sueing the concert venue for not properly spotting children who are drunk and underage. But sueing anyone will not make the pain of the death of their child go away. I feel they are coping the wrong way.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Dam, Guess I should have sued "Boones Farm Strawberry Hill" back in the day when I got drunk off of drinking 4 qt's of it and peeing off a bridge and ended up in jail....lol...
edit on 25-5-2011 by Caji316 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiocfaidhArLa
reply to post by cahlmac

Imagine the bother the Abbey Hotel would be in !

Explain?

Nice avy with the alien

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
If often wonder, in cases such as this one, whether it is the parents wanting to sue over the death or the law firm pushing them to sue. I assume it's a no win - no fee system there ?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I know my views may be a little harsh but it seems like people want to always blame someone else without looking at their own actions in a situation.

You're right in everything you said. This wasn't the company's fault, it was the teen's and his parents. I'm sorry for their loss, but they can't blame someone else for their son's actions. No one forced him to drink it, he did it on his own and he knew what he was doing was illegal.

I have to admit that sometimes, even though the parents do everything they can to teach their children, they end up doing bad things. BUT when that happens, don't blame others, the fault lies entirely on your own child, specially if he's 15, because they're old enough to know better. Teens will do everything they can to get what they want, even if they have the sweetest and best parents in the world.

The parents should just accept the fact that their son's own actions are responsible for his death and that they should not blame the makers of the drink. They are just looking to blame others for the teen's actions, they suffer from the "It's not my child Syndrome".

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sorry that was a very local reference that the other poster would equate with about an establishment which wold be quite infamous for not being the world's strictest when I comes to serving alcohol to those under legal drinking age.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
I'm from Centreville, VA and my brother was actually friends with this kid. It is a very tragic story indeed, but this is not the way to cope. I never heard anything about him getting paranoid though. It is true he was drunk, and it is suspected he was high. He was also bi-polar.

As the story goes, he was exhibiting increasingly erratic behavior before hand. They went to the concert, he got drunk, was driven home, got into a fight with his parents and ran out to the road where he sat to get hit by a car.

Parents around here, especially in that community, are completely oblivious. Many of them are not home half the time on business trips. I've been to many a party where a friend had parents away for days.

So the media as usual is leaving out A LOT of information to make it look like the makers of Four Loko are in the wrong...Typical. He ran out and SAT in the street? Odd they claim he jumped out of his mothers car.. So sad.

I am sorry about what happened and yes if this kid was smoking marijuana and already had some erratic behavior this would magnify it but it is NOT the fault of the makers of the drink in any way. He was 15 and shouldn't have been drinking period. I feel bad for his family but they should take responsibility for this and not blame others.

Should they blame Four Loko? Undoubtedly it played a part in this tragedy, but it was by no means what caused it. Four loko had like 4 cups of coffee in it, and enough booze to equal maybe 3 shots. I remember the first times I drank coffee / alcohol how it affected me. Anyone who doesn't drink alcohol or coffee regularly will behave erratically. Coffee, to someone who doesn't drink coffee, will make a person lose inhibitions and behave just as irrationally as alcohol, and copled with alcohol, well you get the idea when the person is already unstable.

What played a part is the parents irresponsibility to account for what their child was doing. It is not the fault of the makers of FL. These parents are fully to blame. I know that may sound harsh but you can't go around blaming everyone else for things your kids do when ultimately they are in your care til they are 18 which means you as the parent are responsible.

I drink this myself but Im an adult and it is strong but by it self it has never ever made me act paranoid or erratic.

I don't think they have a case. They lost control of him and are responsible for their son drinking underage. They should be sueing the concert venue for not properly spotting children who are drunk and underage. But sueing anyone will not make the pain of the death of their child go away. I feel they are coping the wrong way.

I feel they are as well. They want to place blame and sadly they need to look at themselves. Also the articles and news have said (which we have established isn't all that correct) that they were kicked out of the concert for being intoxicated and at that point the cops should have been called if they weren't there already. Usually cops are at concerts but i don't know how big of a concert they were at so I don't really know if that is the case there as well.

I do feel for these parents it is tragic and he was only a kid.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

If often wonder, in cases such as this one, whether it is the parents wanting to sue over the death or the law firm pushing them to sue. I assume it's a no win - no fee system there ?

I am sure they are pushing them because I am sure the company will settle out of court for some fee just to have the publicity go away. Isn't that why most people sue anyway in cases where there isn't a case but its a big company? They know they have the money and they know they will pay to make it go away. Sad reality in this country. I also think the parents are just looking to place fault on someone.

There is a case linked at the bottom of the original article that states another kid committed suicide while on this and the parents sue and won. That was in Florida. Again I don't think the drink has anything to do with it, I really think these kids are doing other things such as pills and marijuana with it. It is sad but I see way too many teens doing this now a days. I have heard of HS kids having pill parties where they swap pills with each other for effect. It is really nuts. It was not like that when i was i school and that wasn't all that long ago.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

Sorry that was a very local reference that the other poster would equate with about an establishment which wold be quite infamous for not being the world's strictest when I comes to serving alcohol to those under legal drinking age.

Ahhh ok lol

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here is a better link from a more local source.

Virginia Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Makers of Four Loko

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Honestly, I think Four Loko should counter sue the parents for allowing alcohol to be furnished to an underage consumer. Personal responsibility flew the coup loooong ago and has little chance to make it back any time soon. That is truly effed up.

And to the Irish lads: slainte. You live in beautiful country cahlmac.

edit on 25-5-2011 by BiggyMcBigPants because: spelling has been effected by drink!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's just silly that the parents are suing the manufacturer, and I agree that it sounds like he was on something else as well. The parents or other reliable adults should have been supervising him, and not allowed him to purchase liquor if he couldn't handle it. It's a typical case of shifting blame onto others. If I'm driving a car that works exactly as intended, but I use it recklessly and injure myself or others, is it the manufacturers' fault? What if I'm underage or unlicensed and drive the car? I don't think so.

Reminds me of politicians here wanting to make energy drinks even weaker than the current limit, mostly because people drink more than recommended, and drink it with alcohol, and don't realize how drunk they're getting. People should drink responsibly, and not automatically shift the blame to the product or the manufacturer.

EDIT: On a different topic but related, I find it ironic that young people tend to be drinking harder liquor after weaker 'sweet and fruity' drinks are demonized and taxed to hell for 'marketing to the underage crowd'... Sort of defeats the purpose
People need to be more responsible, and not leave everything to a nanny state.
edit on 25/5/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: elaboration

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have had this drink many times and NOT once did it make me paranoid.
I agree with you that he was probably on something else that gave him that paranoid feeling to jump out into a street with traffic.

It is very sad, but I find it terrible the parents are blaming the makers of the drink when it seems from this story there are plenty of people who could be blamed, parents included.

No way will they win this pointless fight, that will be ripped apart legally.

On another note, I think I am going to get me a Four Loko now, lol.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

DUDE, be careful with the Loko. I bought some after they started getting into the news more and that stuff EFFS you up! It is a great way to get drunk, but I would rather just go to Trader Joe's and get me a $3 six pack and call it good (WOOT for $0.50/beer!). Four Loko should be sold anywhere a vendor or store owner wants, but I will not be buying any more of that swill myself.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So the media as usual is leaving out A LOT of information to make it look like the makers of Four Loko are in the wrong...Typical. He ran out and SAT in the street? Odd they claim he jumped out of his mothers car.. So sad.

It irritates me how they misconstrue stories to shift the blame to others, and not take note of personal responsibility. Close to where I am, some teenager/young adult deliberately threw themselves under a moving truck, and the media reported that they'd been laying in the street, and the driver hadn't noticed them. It's just irresponsible reporting when they change the facts like that.
edit on 25/5/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
Here is a better link from a more local source.

Virginia Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Makers of Four Loko

You have GOT to be kidding me with her comment here

“I believe that if my Bobo had celebrated with more conventional drinks, he would have passed out and ended up with a bad hangover. Those are temporary effects. The Four Loko effect is eternal,” said Karla Rupp, Bo’s mother. Read more: www.myfoxdc.com...

I think Four Loko makers should use this in court. Apparently she sees nothing wrong with her child consuming alcohol as long as it just makes him pass out and have a hang over.

Negligent parent!

WOW.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

DUDE, be careful with the Loko. I bought some after they started getting into the news more and that stuff EFFS you up! It is a great way to get drunk, but I would rather just go to Trader Joe's and get me a $3 six pack and call it good (WOOT for $0.50/beer!). Four Loko should be sold anywhere a vendor or store owner wants, but I will not be buying any more of that swill myself.

People need to learn to drink responsibly..yeah I know that will never happen. Nobody forces these drinks down peoples throats.

I will be having my watermelon four loko friday with my homemade pizza while watching movies with my man. One drink is all I need. I don't drink it to get wasted. It is like a beer to me albeit one with more of a kick but I don't like beer. This I don't mind. I usually just pass out after one can lol

50 cent beer! LOL WOW! I know people who would go nuts for that lol

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HardbeatAcolyte

It irritates me how they misconstrue stories to shift the blame to others, and not take note of personal responsibility. Close to where I am, some teenager/young adult deliberately threw themselves under a moving truck, and the media reported that they'd been laying in the street, and the driver hadn't noticed them. It's just irresponsible reporting when they change the facts like that.
edit on 25/5/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: (no reason given)

Oh yeah that is why I never really trust a story when they tell it which is why this one seemed off to me.

We had a local murder case here and someone I knew of, not personally, was involved. The media left out the fact he shot the guy back in self defense. They tried to make it look like a hate crime. The locals who knew him were pissed and rightfully so.

Personally when the media does this I think they should be fined for false reporting. You can get fined for false advertising......

Oh wait then all news outlets would be fined daily

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
He was at a concert. My guess is that he drank two of those, and on top of that he smoked a joint/blunt that was being passed around, possibly laced with something like PCP which would make him super paranoid and run out into traffic. If it was just weed and Four Loko's, I doubt that's enough to make him go coo-coo and run into traffic. He was only 15 though, maybe that was one of his first times being drunk and he was just acting like an idiot which ended up getting him killed.

The "paranoia" could have been from him being kicked out of the concert for intoxication, maybe he was sketched out that the cops would be called and his drunk 15 year old self ran into traffic in a paranoid fury.

I think youve just about got it right there. There must have been dope on top of that booze, i doubt he'd have got paraletic on a couple of drinks, or even reckless for that matter.
I agree with what everyone seems to be saying, its the parents responsibility, that your job in life, to teach your children how to live their lives well and safely. Ive always let my children have small amounts of alcohol at home ( their 20 and 12 now) because i didnt want them going off drinking behind my back, and it seems to have worked with the elder one, not sure about the younger yet but im certain she'll follow her sister.
Im glad the UK licensing laws have become much stricter in the past few years, when i was 16 it was easy to get a drink in a pub, now they ID everywhere, my eldest has to take her driving licence out with her all the time.
I doubt if this woman will win this case.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join