It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents sue makers of alcoholic drink for 15yr old sons death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I saw this on the news and thought I would share to get others opinions on this.

When will people take responsibility for their own kids actions and stop blaming others? It is sad this kid died but it is not the makers of the drink's fault. What was a 15yr old doing at a concert without adult supervision? Why would a gas station sell ALCOHOL to a 15yr old? If an adult bought it, they are responsible as is the gas station that sold it not the makers of the drink.

The family of a Centreville honor student killed in an accident says the alcoholic drink Four Loko is to blame.
15-year-old Bo Rupp had been drinking Four Loko before he wandered into the middle of Pleasant Valley Road in Centreville.
Rupp was hit by a car and died.
Read more: www.myfoxdc.com...

In other articles it states he got the drinks from a gas station, went to a concert where he was kicked out for being intoxicated.

I have drank this stuff and it does not make you paranoid. I am willing to bet this kid was doing something else at the same time. If this kid were to do certain illegal substances while drinking this then yes he would probably become paranoid but this alone I am just not seeing..

It has 12% alcohol content in it and it has caffeine in it. I am done with one and want to sleep. I don't get paranoid and jump out of cars. The death is tragic but again why was a 15yrs old unsupervised at a concert drinking and purchasing alcohol meant for those 21 and up?

They are suing the makers of the drink and blaming them. Their lawyer states it is marketed towards kids.

"It's sweet and fruit and marketed directly at the underage crowd," the family's lawyer Jeffrey Simon said.

www.nydailynews.com...

Personally I am sick of this cop out for people who cant take responsibility for their own kids and their kids actions. I am 32 and it's fruity, perfect for those who don't like the taste of liquor or beer...which is me. I can get one can for less than 3 bucks and one can is all I need. Again I have never known anyone who has drank this to get paranoid and react in the way they say this kid did. IMO something just doesn't seem right. I feel bad for the family I do but I think they need to stop putting the blame on someone else and look at what they allowed their 15 yr old to do. There is no way a 15yr old should be allowed at a concert without an adult. The kid was even KICKED OUT of the concert for intoxication. At this point why weren't the cops called for underage public intoxication? There are so many things about this that just don't seem right to me.

I know my views may be a little harsh but it seems like people want to always blame someone else without looking at their own actions in a situation. It's tragic, he was a kid but where do you draw the line when it comes to putting the blame on someone?

If the kid bought it at a gas station, they are liable for selling to an underage kid..If an adult bought it they are liable for buying alcohol for a minor. The makers of the drink had nothing to do with it. If kids want alcohol they WILL get alcohol. When I was in HS Mad Dog 20/20 was all the rage now it seems this is. The cans are labeled 12% alcohol it's obvious it is not a drink for underage users.

www.nydailynews.com...

At the link there is a poll of whether or not you feel the makers are to blame and at the time I am posting this 88% say no!

******edit. I will be adding a more local news source per request of a member via U2U with personal ties to the situation since the original article makes false statements about him actually jumping out of the car. I do not want to have a post with false reporting in it esp when someone close to the situation reads this site. He didnt jump out of a car, he did run into the street which is what ultimately caused him to be hit by a car. News sites shouldn't be allowed to do this but I know as do many of you that is how reporting goes in this world today.******
edit on 5/25/2011 by mblahnikluver because: see above

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Totally agree with you here. I think suing the company that made the drink is just ludicrous when the teenager had free reign to go to a concert and get drunk!.. I mean, go after whoever supplied the drink to someone underage if anybody has to be sued.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Gas stations selling liqour lol... So funny. They do the same in Quebec.

In Canada you need to go to a designated Liqour Store. However in some provinces, you can ONLY buy liqour from the Government Liqour Stores. Yep. Seriously.

Anyways...

If she wins, I'm suing Toyota for my uncles death.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I completely agree with you. Parents today blame everyone but themselves.I see it so many times at work where underage kids come down with alcohol poisoning or overdose on medication that the parents dont keep safely stored. Really what do these parents want the company to do. Start making the drink with a security feature that makes the user input a piece of hair into it so that the drink verifies that the person is old enough to consume it before the drink can be opened. If there is anyone to blame it is the clerk of the store that sold it, or the person that bought it for the kid. The parents need to be going after those people.

With the logic the attorney is using about the drink being sweet and fruity which means it is marketed to kids, then that means the entire mikes line and bacardi line and the countless wine coolers must all be marketed to kids. It is absurd. It's not like they are making commercials with the kids setting up a mikes hard lemonade stand on the corner and selling it to there friends. If these parents get any amount of money i am suing every fast food company for allowing me to purchase food making me overwieght.
edit on 25-5-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cahlmac
Totally agree with you here. I think suing the company that made the drink is just ludicrous when the teenager had free reign to go to a concert and get drunk!.. I mean, go after whoever supplied the drink to someone underage if anybody has to be sued.

Agreed completely!

Going after the makers is easy and a sure win for them. They will get something. This is why I think there is more to it than they are letting on.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Gas stations selling liqour lol... So funny. They do the same in Quebec.

In Canada you need to go to a designated Liqour Store. However in some provinces, you can ONLY buy liqour from the Government Liqour Stores. Yep. Seriously.

Anyways...

If she wins, I'm suing Toyota for my uncles death.

Yeah you can get this at 7-11 or various other gas stations. It is right next to the beer. It isn't considered liquor though. I guess it's more like a wine cooler with more alcohol content. It is 12% which is pretty high but not for underage kids.

Wow you have government liquor stores?!

Do you have places like the ABC like we do in the states? It's a liquor store chain.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
lol, the first thing I thought when I read your title was "who's gonna sue the parents for bad parenting"

Though, sometimes bad things happen due to negligence to good people, still, no excuse for passing the responsibility.

Also, I would add that isn't it fair to assume that it's very effective to market a product that is intended for adults 21 and over by breaking up the 21-85 year old demographic?

Plus, it's been my observation that people tend to actually 'grow-up' at about the age of 25, and I can easily see how a demographic of 21-25 can blend with the interests of those ages 14-21.

edit on 25-5-2011 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

It doesn't matter if it was beer or heroine.
The people I would hold responsible are the parents.
If their son was so messed up, they should have not allowed to be out without a handler.
But I'm sure someone just wants a payday and the alcohol company was the easiest target.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
He was at a concert. My guess is that he drank two of those, and on top of that he smoked a joint/blunt that was being passed around, possibly laced with something like PCP which would make him super paranoid and run out into traffic. If it was just weed and Four Loko's, I doubt that's enough to make him go coo-coo and run into traffic. He was only 15 though, maybe that was one of his first times being drunk and he was just acting like an idiot which ended up getting him killed.

The "paranoia" could have been from him being kicked out of the concert for intoxication, maybe he was sketched out that the cops would be called and his drunk 15 year old self ran into traffic in a paranoid fury.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

Imagine the bother the Abbey Hotel would be in !

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
start holding the parents resposible and punishing them equaly with the children... maybe then parents might want to take some classes or educate themselves on raising a child.

For the parents to even concider sueing the makers.... their children should be taken away.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

It just seems to be getting more acceptable in society now to go after anybody except those that are actually to blame! I mean it seems like a straight choice here between the store that sold the alcohol and the alcohol company itself. Hmmm, I wonder which one has the healthiest looking balance sheet??
I'm surprised that the company that made the SUV that unfortunately hit the young man hasn't been named as well!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiocfaidhArLa
reply to post by cahlmac

Imagine the bother the Abbey Hotel would be in !

Ah, come on now. Underage drinking here??

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

Yeah I know. How ridiculous !! By the way. Hi from the town of the four masters

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
S&F.
Responsibility lies with the parents.
I bet he had something else besides two of those drinks. I've had them, they never made me paranoid.
Unfortunately that drink isn't sold in my state.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

I completely agree with you. Parents today blame everyone but themselves.I see it so many times at work where underage kids come down with alcohol poisoning or overdose on medication that the parents dont keep safely stored. Really what do these parents want the company to do. Start making the drink with a security feature that makes the user input a piece of hair into it so that the drink verifies that the person is old enough to consume it before the drink can be opened. If there is anyone to blame it is the clerk of the store that sold it, or the person that bought it for the kid. The parents need to be going after those people.

Yup! Parents don't seem to take responsibility anymore, they want to blame everyone else without looking at themselves.

When I was 15 my mom said if I was going to drink I could sit infront of her and drink a 6pack. She was making a point and well I didn't drink. I never cared to. I remember when I was 18 my mom had a dinner party and let my sister and i have one wine cooler but we were home and my mom and family were there. Mad Dog 20/20 was all the rage when I was in school but I never cared to drink it although my sister and I did try it which led to the whole if you wanna drink sit here and drink the 6 pack lol

Same with parents and prescription pills. Why keep them in the cabinet where kids have easy access? Put them in a locked area if you have thieving teens in your home. I have seen this one too many times and then parents get all upset and blame everyone else yet they forget they are the ones who give them easy access to it. Most of my friends parents had locked liquor cabinets, now it's out for all to use and drink.

With the logic the attorney is using about the drink being sweet and fruity which means it is marketed to kids, then that means the entire mikes line and bacardi line and the countless wine coolers must all be marketed to kids. It is absurd. It's not like they are making commercials with the kids setting up a mikes hard lemonade stand on the corner and selling it to there friends. If these parents get any amount of money i am suing every fast food company for allowing me to purchase food making me overwieght.
edit on 25-5-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

Yeah! They seem to forget many people like fruity drinks, I know I do. I prefer them over liquor and beer that doesnt mean they are marketing it to kids. It's just a cop out or excuse. It is the same thing with menthol cigarettes and how they say they are marketed to kids cause they are minty. I mean really! :O

Well yeah suing McD's for making you fat would probably work. See the problem in this country is that they allow these insane lawsuits so people sue for anything and everything. I mean yes their son died it's sad but now they want to put a price on it? That is how I see it.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

It doesn't matter if it was beer or heroine.
The people I would hold responsible are the parents.
If their son was so messed up, they should have not allowed to be out without a handler.
But I'm sure someone just wants a payday and the alcohol company was the easiest target.

Exactly. Also if these teens were kicked out of a concert for being intoxicated underage why weren't the cops called. I know if this happens to an adult you are going to jail for public intoxication or getting a ticket yet nothing when minors are involved.

The parents are the ones ultimately responsible.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hopefully the drink maker sues the parents for negligence and for libel and slander of their company and the product. That way they can recover all the damages these bad parents have intentionally caused their company.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Wow that sucks.

Here in Lousiana, you can go through the drive-thru frozen drink place, you never have to get out of the car.

Also, if I want whiskey at 5:00 am on Sunday morning, IT'S ON!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
He was at a concert. My guess is that he drank two of those, and on top of that he smoked a joint/blunt that was being passed around, possibly laced with something like PCP which would make him super paranoid and run out into traffic. If it was just weed and Four Loko's, I doubt that's enough to make him go coo-coo and run into traffic. He was only 15 though, maybe that was one of his first times being drunk and he was just acting like an idiot which ended up getting him killed.

The "paranoia" could have been from him being kicked out of the concert for intoxication, maybe he was sketched out that the cops would be called and his drunk 15 year old self ran into traffic in a paranoid fury.

That is exactly what I thought. He had to have done something else with it, this stuff doesn't make you act like that but add some drugs to the mix and yes you will be paranoid. Even at 15 if he were to have used marijuana while intoxicated that heavily the effects would make him paranoid.

He jumped out of his moms car when she picked him up after being kicked out. Maybe they gave him the option to call his parents or the cops..It doesn't say.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join