It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 year old little girl, talented international artist - The Prodigy of Color

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Both her parents are artists, and while artists may be predisposed to favor the artistic, having artistic parents or being from an artistic family does NOT mean it will be YOUR passion. Passion requires that YOU be able to choose how to direct your energy, and her parents are setting it up so that they are directing her path. She is four.

Their biggest mistake was giving her paint :-)

Would you have denied Mozart his piano ?

She should be allowed to discover her passion on her own, not be pushed into it by a stage mother seeking fame that eluded her in the form of her daughter. Ability =/= passion, and at her age, it isnt even fair to say she has "ability" yet.

did you even watch that video?

oh - she has the passion - if you can't see it - you simply aren't looking

and the ability?

:-)

let's just say we have a difference of opinion on that and call it a day

....The abstract style is so forgiving...

Really? How so?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't really understand why prodigies deserve praising. After it's all said and done most just become the average joe when they grow up.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by j3n9ls31dy

I couldnt have said it better myself. Look at the set up you can tell its just so .......set up, here mommy n daddy got u all this crap becuase we want you to be famous so we can live off it.It looks so forced to me like for example letting her wear a weird mismatched outfit to make her apear more free spirited, She can fling paint but this is just that flinging paint. I can see it them driving a hybrid and wearing trendy geek glasses

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

She's good and it's unsurprising that people see parallels with Pollack's style. Some areas of the images linked and posted are very similar. Despite being an art dabbler all my life, it was only in my late 20s when I could appreciate Pollack.

Some posts are to expected. Yeah, there could be an element of child exploitation, pushy parents and the subjective judgements about 'Art' in the Establishment. Yeah, it could be a 'symptom of modern society' and 'oh no' money-makers are circling...

In the cross-fire of these thoughts is a kid enjoying the touchy-feely-visual sensations of creating colourful stuff and putting smiles on grown-ups' faces. Not bad at all and she's likely pretty happy. In her world, she's probably happy to be 'doing her thing' and the idle chatter of us adults is barely heard over the slop, squidge and gloop of acrylics, gouache and oils splashing onto canvas and floor.

In that sense, I'm reading your OP as a rare 'happy kid' thread and will share it with colleagues later on who have kids the same age and love art.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Really? How so?

I do this in mostly good fun, so please don't take offense lol.

I created this for you in about 4 minutes, tell me it aint art!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d945ecae7f9e.jpg[/atsimg]

Beautiful isn't it???

Ok, I admit it, I'm not an artist. (well, not the kind that paints pictures)
LOL, I barely even know how to use photo shop. I just scribbled a bunch of stuff in MS paint.

BUT
If I took this to an art gallery and sold it for thousands of dollars claiming to be an artist, what would you think then?

ETA: I think Illusionsaregrander is trying to say that it's too forgiving (the abstract art world) in a sense where....well *anything* can be claimed as "art" and there really isn't a standard when it comes to abstract art.

I see it as scribbling, you see it as art. So be it!

edit on 26-5-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Also, (and I'm really not trying to troll!) to further bring the point home...

I googled "Expensive abstract art" and one of the first things I got was this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef2ec2a45845.jpg[/atsimg]

I have no idea how much this piece sold for, but it's probably worth more than an average person makes in serval years.
(I've actually seen this in another thread about this topic before)

How is that better than my beautiful masterpiece above??
This pic looks like total trash to me, and it's also very bland. To each thier own, however.

I think we are being scammed by a lot of so-called "artists". K, that's it, I'm done talking now as I'm not intending to ruin this thread by the beautiful LadySkadi.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I do this in mostly good fun, so please don't take offense lol.:

finally - someone with a sense of humor :-)

I'm not going to tell you it isn't art - I'm going to ask you: do you think it's art? serious answer please

If I took this to an art gallery and sold it for thousands of dollars claiming to be an artist, what would you think then?

do you think anyone would buy it - for thousands?

ETA: I think Illusionsaregrander is trying to say that it's too forgiving (the abstract art world) in a sense where....well *anything* can be claimed as "art" and there really isn't a standard when it comes to abstract art.

I don't think that's what Illusions was trying to say - I know that's what she was trying to say

(but I'd still like to hear her explanation) :-)

forgiving - how?

I went back and watched that video again Wookiep - just for you :-)

humor me - go watch it - you don't have to do the whole thing - stop at: 4:46, 5:57, 7:50 and 10:00

They're calling her the 'Prodigy of Color'. Do you wonder why?

Color isn't just about color - it's about color next to color, color on color, light/dark/pattern/space/negative space...balance, movement - it's a language. Like music.

There are many theories - just about color. Their are theories about aesthetics. I was busy writing up a 10 page essay a while ago - when I realized it was pointless. I also realized I was hungry and I couldn't think - so I stopped.

My point is - if you really could just whip out something - and then sell it for thousands - well, If anyone could do it - everyone would. And don't think I haven't tried :-)

No - seriously - I have

Everyone says my four year old could do that - but why is everyone making such a fuss over this four year old if any four year old could do the same? It takes more than pushy, conniving parents to get into a gallery - and there are plenty of pushy, conniving parents in this world. Why aren't there more 4 year old girls showing their work?

Well - most artists hate when people say that - but I have to agree. Still - there are an awful lot of people in the art world full time that see something in the work of this very young girl. Don't you wonder why?

I mentioned Mozart earlier - he was playing at three, composing at 5. His father was a musician. He was trotting his son around at a tender age and showing off his skills. Was it abuse? Maybe it was - but I doubt it was difficult to convince Wolfie to practice. Even if you can force a child to practice - you can't force them to compose.

Genius doesn't make an appearance only in musicians or mathematicians. But maybe it's easier to recognize in those two categories than it is in others.

If you don't see it, or if it just doesn't speak to you - fair enough. But that doesn't mean there's nothing there to see - it just isn't there for you.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

very good eye. The hand placement gave me pause as well.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
reply to post by j3n9ls31dy

I hope you are able to redirect your anger and frustrations. . Negativity only breeds separation.

If your anger to waking up has now blinded you to the point that you wish to respond in more negativity, I will wish you Peace and humbly discontinue this conversation. I mean my words in the spirit of uplifting, not ego-battling. Peace to you.

And here is the problem! Dont get angry, dont get upset, for gods sake dont be soooooo negative!!! A few people on this thread have raised some legitimate concerns about a society that would take a four year olds paint splatters as genius, propping up the parents ego, and pay thousands of dollars for it when we have millions of children every week dying of hunger and having bombs blowing them apart..... etc. and you people get all touchy and defensive and accuse the people who are making sense, of being spoilt sports and that its just "a kid having fun with paint"
My child has fun with paint too and its great, but the thought that children just like her are growing up without adequate shelter/food/clean water, the thought that the mining companies and food industry corporates and medical mafia are turning our earth into a wasteland- ON OUR WATCH- while we oh and ahh about ridiculous s*** like this and spend thousands of dollars filling our homes with ridiculous s*** we dont need, like this kids paintings, well it just makes me sick

But of course, Im being too negative, angers a sin, "Ohhhh no someones angry about the asinine world we live in shut him/her up shut him/her up!"
Anger is constructive, people need to be angry, it's hate that is destructive and it is hate that this society is breeding. We need to get angry, then we need to act. It may mean that four year olds wont make thousands of dollars for throwing paint around
, but hey, they'll get over it.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I'm not going to tell you it isn't art - I'm going to ask you: do you think it's art? serious answer please

Honestly? No I don't, and that's because I *know* that I am not an artist that paints pictures. It's scribbling, because the honest answer is that I scribbled it.

Now, That's not to say someone else might not think it's art. Just from my imagination alone I can see several things in my masterpiece!

In image 1: (my work!)

I *could* see an interstellar backdrop with a wormhole threatening a galaxy nearby which is already doomed by an imminent threat from a nearby gamma ray burst, causing space and time to create a vortex in the center of the situation blasting forth to protect the balance of the universe! The several comets nearby would indicate that they are intent on stopping this interstellar madness by a futile attempt to save the cosmos. In the distance we can see several super novas erupting, adding to the ensuing chaos of this region in the universe. However, (and this is a BIG however) the lemon meringue pie in the center (more like top-center), is clearly anchoring the great balance the universe holds dear.

In image 2: (the expensive abstract art found on google)

At best my imagination can muster, is a forest of burning trees in the midst of a nuclear catastrophe.

That's me being honest!!

do you think anyone would buy it - for thousands?

Well, I suppose if I knew the right people, and if they saw what I tried to just sell you, then yes!!

humor me - go watch it - you don't have to do the whole thing - stop at: 4:46, 5:57, 7:50 and 10:00

I did watch it, and I didn't even have to do it to humor ya.

What I saw was a happy child having fun with an endless supply of paints, and it was joyful to see her be so free in doing so! She could do whatever she wanted to do with the paint, a thing most kids don't have. Those paints cost a lot of money and a lot of artists struggle to get that amount of materials to maintain their profession.

I did not however, see a prodigy in the making.
I'm sorry we just see it differently. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just trying to say that I think a lot of people ("artists") make a lot of money for wrong, corrupted and scamming reasons.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I think she is an adorable little girl but from what I saw she doesn't seem to possess any more raw talent for the art than any other child her age does regarding painting. Except of course that her parents are obviously well off enough to supply her with her own studio and endless amount of painting supplies to support her love for it. Most kids her age love painting as well.

It is very likely that her skills will improve at a much higher rate than other childrens due to her advantage. Not upset that she gets have this opportunity just upset that all children can't have it as well.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing!

Some of those works brought tears to my eyes, and grins to split my face!

Thanks so much for posting this!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Somehow this doesn't amuse me, A 1 year old child could do the same. All shes doing is dripping paint all over the painting and floor, How is that talent? Heck I've seen elephants and dogs that can paint better than her. Amazing art would be drawings at that age, Not painting without a brush.

I'll show you what's amazing:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56f41fd479ce.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca0b06992bd9.jpg[/atsimg]

Second Child artist
edit on 26-5-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Really? How so?

I do this in mostly good fun, so please don't take offense lol.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d945ecae7f9e.jpg[/atsimg]

Beautiful isn't it???

Ok, I admit it, I'm not an artist. (well, not the kind that paints pictures)
LOL, I barely even know how to use photo shop. I just scribbled a bunch of stuff in MS paint.

BUT

Well to be truthful, your painting seems a little amaturish compared to the 4 year old abstactionist. But a good start! Keep at it you have potential........

edit on 26-5-2011 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This girl definitely has talent.

But is it the talent of a prodigy or the talent of a 4 year old?

Some people think children are born "blank slates" and need "time to develop."
Their main problems are that their bodies are small and no adults will take them seriously!

I don't agree with the "blank slate" theory. I know that we all have lived in other bodies and that some of us, particularly children, can remember that.

But most kids are willing to play the part and enjoy their young years in the mists of forgetfulness and childhood games.

Remember: regardless of the quality of this girl's creations, she is showing considerable ability to focus and maintain her interest in an activity. This work obviously engrosses her for some reason.

We'll see what happens when she gets older and starts talking more about her work.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

this should come with a warning "DO NOT SHOW YOUR 4 YEAR OLD CHILD THIS" could you imagine coming home paint flung all over your carpet and a canvas that almost totally black. every time i watch her im like there goes 5 dollars in paint there goes 10 there goes 15 damn her parents must need her to be a prodigy!! Shes talented but the question is does she know why? I watched a show about a little girl who almost had the same type of talent but as she grew her paintings became less prodigy and more like a kid learning her motor skills. Now if she had drawn the last supper i might think different but this is abstract

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

"Pissing on a canvas does not make it art. Its still just piss on a canvas." - Me

Ahhhhhh, that may very well be true; however, "poo on a pedestal"...

Source

This one, also untitled, is a two-foot white cube with a barely visible black speck set right in the middle of the top surface. Would you like to guess what that black speck is? You're advised to think outside the box.

To again quote Christie's, it is ".5mm of the artist's feces."

Yes, Tom Friedman put his poop on a pedestal, and last week Christie's tried to sell it, with bidding to start at $45,000.

...that will get you listed at Christie's!

As for the topic at hand; cute kid. Not sure if I'd agree with the whole "prodigy" label, but her creations are interesting, and I hope she continues for as long as she enjoys the process.

edit on 5/26/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
Somehow this doesn't amuse me, A 1 year old child could do the same. All shes doing is dripping paint all over the painting and floor, How is that talent? Heck I've seen elephants and dogs that can paint better than her. Amazing art would be drawings at that age, Not painting without a brush.

I'll show you what's amazing:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56f41fd479ce.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca0b06992bd9.jpg[/atsimg]

Second Child artist
edit on 26-5-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

while those pictures done by children at that age is good stuff....thats not abstract art. the artists/children here are trying more to replicate or copy somewhat realistically scenes even if its expressionistic. the little girl who does the abstractions in the video is creating abstract expressionist pieces.... that rely heavily on intuition and feeling (unbridled spirit in a child) and a recording of it. free from the shackles of figuration. her compositions/form and choice of colors and the way she is able to play with the materials is something that some older abstract artists grow into after they had enough with realism. to a number of older artists having a childlike free spirit in your work is crucial. some older artists strive for this. some dont have it and create stale and very dry work. while her abstraction is nothing new (though what is new is that a very young girl is doing this) its still shows a level of maturity that comes from folks who learn the rules then break them. lots of good mature/older artists today are deskilling like crazy.

please find a child who is in the same genre at least and then compare.
edit on 26-5-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Very enjoyable OP, and a nice break from the usual fare. It will be interesting to see how this young girl develops artistically over the coming years. She definitely is blessed with a good eye.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I work with kids her age all the time and for years. They create stuff like this everyday and each piece is unique and beautiful. Are they talented? Do they all have "a good eye" as one poster said or are they simply little children given the tools and the freedom to use their imagination and express themselves?
The only thing that set her apart from the children I know was the soundtrack (to draw us in and create a magical quality) and the manipulation of seeing her 'art' through the film makers eye.

If the film crew came to my school and did the same thing with any one of my kids...?

Seriousy - Some of you need to spend more time observing kids in creative action.

Now,
If she had composed a symphony and had written out the sheet music by hand...

edit on 26-5-2011 by 5senses because: I meant to reply in general not to a specific poster

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join