It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 year old little girl, talented international artist - The Prodigy of Color

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by j3n9ls31dy
i smell sheep

Here you forgot this....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91e395ab38c5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The parents should be locked up, how dare they let that little girl have some creative FUN! Don't they know that Nintendo Wii and Playstation is the future.

I adore that little girl and love her paintings... I really don't care what others think about her art, I see fun on the canvas and it makes me smile. I would quite happily hang them on my walls.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Are you a creative artist then?

As an aside, in my memory, no-one has ever been laughed out of any gallery that I know of. Rather, they are either disqualified by the jurors of the show or just never asked.

Depends on what qualifies one as an artist

I am a creative individual, though most of mine has been done through music. Since discharging I've gone back to school to further my education and better prepare myself for a successful future outside of the service. The school I attend has a top-tier arts program, one of the top 5 in the nation if my memory serves me correctly. I've taken quite a few art courses to satisfy general education requirements at the liberal arts institution and am speaking mainly from my own experience. Maybe my instructors and peers have inflated egos or a warped experience of the art "scene" and it rubbed me the wrong way, but I've personally witnessed professors verbally berate peers for work that in my opinion was of higher caliber and far more creative.

I meant the "laughed out of every gallery..." to be taken figuratively, I should have expressed that more clearly. It was my own little jab at the art "scene" that can crush the hard work of one individual only to adopt and praise an equally or less beautiful piece by another for no other apparent reason than "buzz." Then again, the same could be said for just about any other hobby or craft. I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder, and those with a more art-centric mind see something I don't.

I'm glad it was at least recognized that I wasn't attacking the girl, her craft or her love in any way. More power to her, maybe my kids can one day study pieces of her continuing collection.

Adios hermano.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
First, I would be thrilled to have my child interested in art.
Having said that, the parents are screwing up. I will tell you why, because I have seen it before.
A child this age has no real grasp on what they are capable of. Abstract art is SO often done by people that don't really want to dedicate the time creating something worthwhile. Perhaps they could, but they are content often doing very little and putting in very little effort. So, by rewarding this "minimalist" artist for her work, especially a child, is implying that there is really not much more out there. Just keep doing that dear.
From a critical point a view, the background on the examples are both black. There is a reason for that, but I will not critique the work of a child. It just seems "abusive".
And, THAT is the point.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JudasIscariot

Fun on a canvas isnt the issue. Who could be against that? Calling it "genius" and her a "prodigy of color" is the issue. Im all for kids having fun and creating, and getting messy. I totally find a lot of art done by children beautiful, and their innocence and joy shine through.

But..........................thats totally different from a bunch of "art critics" calling a 4 year old childs fun on canvas with paint "genius." Its just not. It may be pretty, and joyful, and fun, but....its still a four year old child pouring, dripping and dabbing paint on a canvas.

And there seems to be more than one 4 year old prodigy in this category of art. Also compared to Pollock. It could mean that painting like Pollock makes you a genius. Or, it could mean that Pollock painted like a four year old.

www.cbsnews.com...

Her paintings were even compared to those of Jackson Pollock, the legendary abstract expressionist who was famous for dripping paint freely on his large canvases. Others said her bright colors and shapes reminded them of another modern master, Wassily Kandinsky.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
And looky here.

www.theage.com.au...

Back in October, Fitzroy commercial gallery director Mark Jamieson was asked by a Russian-born photographer whose work he represented to consider the work of another artist. Nikka Kalashnikova showed Jamieson some abstract paintings by an artist called Aelita Andre; Mr Jamieson liked what he saw and agreed to include it in a group show, alongside work by Kalashnikova and Julia Palenov (also a Russian) at his Brunswick Street Gallery later this month.

Mr Jamieson then started to promote the show, printing glossy invitations and placing ads in reputable magazines Art Almanac and Art Collector, in which the abstract work was featured. Only then did he discover a crucial fact about the new artist: Aelita Andre was Nikka Kalashnikova's daughter, and she was then just 22 months old. She turns two tomorrow.

"I was shocked and, to be honest, a little embarrassed," Mr Jamieson said of his response to the revelation.

He thought hard about whether or not to proceed, and talked it over with his colleagues. "And then I thought, 'Well, we'll give it a go'."

How could I have predicted that.

forum.xcitefun.net...

Robert Nelson, art critic and associate professor of art and design at Monash University told Reuters, "There's probably some degree of collaboration between parent and child." "The colorful backdrop, the calligraphic marks that was probably put there by a parent, that's not the work of a child, certainly not a child of that age," he said.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The most disturbing part of all of this, is the money the parents are trying to make off of it.

the OP linked the kids home page where you can buy her art.

cannot find ONE of her "paintings" for less than $4,800 USD.

Some are even up for $10,000+

sad, really, sad.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by j3n9ls31dy

I'm sure you missed the part about the money going to a fund, set up for Her...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

oh and that makes it suddenly "worth" the 10,000?

paaleeassee

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Check your ego newb (or re-spawn?) and understand that what you do not consider art, someone else does. It is worth (monetarily speaking) what someone is willing to pay for it. Clever marketing is the difference between the starving and the profitable, but it does not distinguish what is and isn't art.

edit on 25-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

The mother is rather ruthless, she risked the reputation of someone representing her photography and as I see it, abused his trust, to promote her daughter by not telling him the facts up front, and only keying him in once he had invested his reputation.

Not the nicest thing to do, imho. She could have made a total laughing stock of him, had he not decided to continue on with the prodigy story. At that point, what else could he do? Admit he didnt know the art of a two year old from genius?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

um, dont forget to take into consideration the current largest recession of history, and the chance for the largest depression and possible dollar collapse

then think about a 4 year olds paint splatters selling for 10,000.

hmm

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

exactly, you understand.

that goes back to the reference earlier to the "art experts" not being able to tell apart "authentic" abstract from "fake" abstract.

it's impossible, it's all the reputation put behind it.

doesn't matter who it is, it could be done by anyone.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The fact they didnt know she was four years old when they deemed her "genius" is not to her credit. It is merely evidence that art critics look for genius in anything they dont understand. Had they known she was four when they first saw her work, I would be willing to bet they would not have given it that label. Now, however, they are stuck. And their own reputation as critics are wrapped up in continuing the sham.

I would love to see if THEY were able to pick her "genius" out of a crowd of mere mortals splattering paint on a canvas and then sticking little faces and stuff on it.

Appreciate you taking the time to add substance to your opinion - this is what I was looking for in rebuttal. For the record, it's a good point and I too would like to see the critics/curators compare similar pieces in anonymity... The point is not lost that clever marketing and finding the "in" that gives this artist and edge (whether it's her age or that she is this moment's in thing) may be relevant to sales/profit and media attention, but still does not change the core of the topic ... which is about a young painter discovering her passion ...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

your thread was not originally about the "cute innocent little girl finding her passion"

it was about a "TALENTED INTERNATIONAL ARTIST who is a PRODIGY OF COLORS"

don't try to lie..

we're not referring to her love for what she's doing, pretty sure i stated that several times before.

that's great.

you're just still missing the point.

and please stop mistaking "clever advertising" with "manipulative marketing for financial gain"
edit on 25-5-2011 by j3n9ls31dy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by j3n9ls31dy

your thread was not originally about the "cute innocent little girl finding her passion"

it was about a "TALENTED INTERNATIONAL ARTIST who is a PRODIGY OF COLORS"

don't try to lie..

Where is the lie?

Talented international artist... check.
She has exhibits in Europe, Asia, Australia and soon, NY.

Prodigy of Colors... check. The name of the exhibit.

I understand your angle, don't make the mistake of thinking otherwise.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Well, I think thats where we might differ on this topic. At four, lots of kids love art. I loved art at four. I dont know if its fair to say a four year old has discovered her passion in art. I also wanted to be a hit man and and astronaut at around 4. (Dad loved gangster movies) Neither of which turned out to be my passion.

Both her parents are artists, and while artists may be predisposed to favor the artistic, having artistic parents or being from an artistic family does NOT mean it will be YOUR passion. Passion requires that YOU be able to choose how to direct your energy, and her parents are setting it up so that they are directing her path.

She is four. She should be allowed to discover her passion on her own, not be pushed into it by a stage mother seeking fame that eluded her in the form of her daughter. Ability =/= passion, and at her age, it isnt even fair to say she has "ability" yet. The abstract style is so forgiving even a mildly coached 2 year old can be a star if her mother deceives a friend into promoting her work.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

so you're somewhat old then?

you need to grow a pair pal, youre far past due...

apparently, youre unaware of the EXTREMELY REALISTIC reality of facing the inevitable repercussions that our type of societies living dependency has created.

i've said this to other people before, don't let your age bias your opinions.

think like you were just put into this world, because that's how my, and many other generations after mine are always perceiving our reality.

many of them have and are becoming victims of the social norms, but there are still many who have open minds and can see our situation for what it is.

You are used to the scenery that you have created by being in this growing situation for so long.

There is nothing wrong with that, as it is SOME what out of your control. But it is also definitely in your control to be able to take a fresh new perspective, and realize that we as a race are facing a new reality.

We are going to need to change.

I am not dooming and glooming, but rather being critically realistic in planning ahead for my lifetime and those AFTER mine

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Like I said, I couldn't give a stuff about what other people think about her art... obviously, you and others do.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
at first I was like wow shes wasting a lot of paint. ahaha but I watched the whole video and wow... she is really good. thank you for sharing that

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join