It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to be instantly depressed as a US voter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I know - who doesn't right? Well, I was doing research for a different thread and stumbled across something that did that to me.

First, I previously had this epiphany that nothing ever changes in politics - just the name of the vermin involved when I watched these interviews conducted in 1957 and 1958 by Mike Wallace.

This last bit of research pushed back my understanding to 1926. In this article published March 7th, 1927 recounting the accomplishments of the 69th congress, the author covers Senator James Reed of Missouri. First, Senator Reed can be credited with one of the worst votes in the history of the United States. In 1913, he was a member of the Senate Banking Committee and he changed his vote to break a deadlock to pass the Federal Reserve Act which sent us down this road of a unsustainable/oligarchy of a debt-based economy.

Read some of the quotes from the article about Reed and published in 1927 after he had served in the Senate since 1911:

Senator Reed is a destructive, not a constructive force in lawmaking, but he is consistent. He believes that the reform wave of the last two decades, which would create laws and Federal bureaus to cure every popular ill, is mischievous. If this is continued to its ultimate complexity, every time a citizen has a toe ache he will write to his Congressman to put through a bill creating a staff of Federal doctors to soothe such maladies. Senator Reed would have better execution of the existing constitutional law and less reform, fewer "hordes of officials and snoopers who swarm over the land like the lice of Egypt." For the same reason that he fought the Sheppard-Towner Maternity Act, he opposed the McNarv-Haugen farm relief bill. Senator Reed's other Jeffersonian axiom is that the U. S. should not meddle in the affairs of Europe.

"Truth to tell, Washington has become the universal Mecca of human freaks. To that city protagonists of vagaries gravitate by all known routes, some by election, some by appointment, some by 'divine command.' The great majority, however, merely follow noses that itch for the business of others. There they bed and breed."

During the League of Nations debate, Mr. Reed told a fable: "These Senators say that all the nations of the world have become brothers and that therefore we can safely join the League of Nations. Then on the next day they say that all the nations of the world hate one another and that in order to restrain them from fighting one another we must join the League of Nations.

"Mr. President, they are like the animal in Aesop's Fables which had four legs on its back as well as four legs under its belly. When it got tired running on one set of legs, it simply turned over and ran on the other set; and you never could catch it. That is the perfectly parliamentary animal that these Senators are."

Emphasis mine.

Five weeks ago [1927], in Manhattan, he put forth his political creed: "That people is governed best which is governed least."

Last week [1927] Mr. Reed sought to extend his fame as an inquisitor, introduced in the Senate a resolution which would allow his committee to investigate all 1926 Senatorial elections during the recess of Congress (March to December).

I think its clear that, by 1927, Reed had learned a lot about Washington and its infestation from his 26 years in office. I wonder if he ever regretted his novice vote in 1913 or understood that it would lead to the death of the nation?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is pretty cool. I like how calling somebody out back then was so eloquently put. It's interesting to see how long everything has been going downhill. Nice find.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
This is pretty cool. I like how calling somebody out back then was so eloquently put. It's interesting to see how long everything has been going downhill. Nice find.

Thanks, the general sentiment has been that we are more educated than our ancestors but the opposite is true. We are vulgar, desensitized little sheep being led to slaughter and our ancestors are surely lowering their heads in shame at what they begot.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Woodrow Wilson was the final say in the Federal Reserve and he passed it....Later he stated to Americans that he just made the worst decision ever and he felt bad.....NO $HIT!!!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I do find some of the warnings from people back then... very interesting. thanks

Here is a extract you might find interesting from the economist Maynard-Keynes book "The Economic Consequence of Peace" it was written following the Paris Peace Conference.. Maynard-Keynes went on in 1919 to predict that war would come in 20 years (not a bad guess considering what happened in 1939)

"Lenin is said to have declared that the best way to destroy the Capitalist System was to debauch the currency.

By a continuing process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and, while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some.

The sight of this arbitrary rearrangement of riches strikes not only at security, but at confidence in the equity of the existing distribution of wealth. Those to whom the system brings windfalls, beyond their deserts and even beyond their expectations or desires, become "profiteers,", who are the object of the hatred of the bourgeoisie, whom the inflationism has impoverished, not less than of the proletariat.

As the inflation proceeds and the real value of the currency fluctuates wildly from month to month, all permanent relations between debtors and creditors, which form the ultimate foundation of capitalism, become so utterly disordered as to be almost meaningless; and the process of wealth-getting degenerates into a gamble and a lottery.

Lenin was certainly right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose"

Source book:
www.gutenberg.org...

The last line "There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency" really sums up where we are now.. and I feel the same warning of war applies if we carry on down this path.

edit on 26/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Not only were Americans different then but the politicians were as well. The reason for that is simple, it was because the people were different. Our Congressman come from the same playgrounds, schools, and neighborhoods we come from so they learn their morals, philosophy, and ideas the same as we learn them. We have lost ours so they have obviously lost theirs. For some reason we expect them to be morally superior to the rest of us but they are not. In order for us to change Washington we must change America.

Until the 1950s Americans had very little trust in anything Washington did or said. That began to change though in the 1930s when Americans were being fed the ideology of fear created by Roosevelt and his liberals. It was basic; vote for us or starve. People are motivated by hunger and in 1932 they were hungry. Hoover was unwilling to break from his moral highground of voluntary action but Roosevelt, like his cousin before him, had no problem using the executive as a bully pulpit from which he can boss people around.

For 50 years he gave his public salary to charity

Americans were looking for that strength and Hoover did not offer it. He was not going to run around on a campaign trail telling Americans that everything wrong has to do with the rich and big business, he wasn't going to tell them that he will roll up his sleeve and knock heads just because he can, so the American people went to the man who told them what they wanted to hear. He promised them housing, bread, and relief from their misery so they took it.

The anxiety of Washington involving itself in their lives was mitigated by the hunger they felt in their stomachs. 1936 came around and Republican Presidential candidate Alf Landon made a speech telling the American people that no more will they have to surrender their vote for bread.

Simple fact of the matter is that Americans had always either despised Washington, did not trust it, or we extremely skeptical of it. The members of Congress knew that. But when they learned winning votes was as simple as promising bread it did not matter how else they voted so long as they kept the handouts coming.

Under the Presidency of William Howard Taft the conspirators behind the Federal Reserve made their first attempt at establishing a Central Bank, Taft however told them no. He denied them a central bank. They knew he would not budge so their next attempt was at buying out Wilson in 1912. Lucky for them Roosevelt entered the race and drew the votes away from Taft handing the election over to Wilson who won.

Wilson, a member of the same political party that was affiliated with numerous political machines across the country, most notably Tammany Hall. What more could we have expected?

top topics

join