It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study suggests 'born-again' believers have smaller brains

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is one that will get some of us mad, could this be true or some kind of new propoganda
to get to some..

The study, which examined the hippocampus region of the brain, found that Protestants who did not have a "born again" experience had significantly more gray matter than either those who reported a life-changing religious experience, Catholics, or unaffiliated older adults.

The hippocampus is an area buried deep in the brain that helps regulate emotion and memory. Atrophy or shrinkage in this region of the brain has long been linked to mental health problems such as depression, dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

So why would born-again Protestants, Catholics and those with no religious affiliation have a smaller hippocampus?

Researchers speculate it may have something to do with the stress of belonging to a minority group. Chronic stress floods the brain with hormones that, over time, may damage the hippocampus.

So this is new for me what do you guys think

Sorry forgot the linkwww.usatoday.com...
edit on 25-5-2011 by mkkkay because: link

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Uh-Oh
This is probably going to get ugly.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Maybe born agains are generating god vibes and it physically changing them. sorta how meditation can have physical effects since they both are somewhat positive mindstates to be in meditating or praying and believing.

People who meditate grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with attention and processing sensory input.
www.physorg.com...
edit on 5/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yeah.... I can see why people would believe that. Its like reality can't even fit in their brains.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
pure horse manure

it's just an intimidation factor
against those who are believers.

but maybe I could use this manure
to fertilize the crops this spring.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry but a study suggests that this study is bull, how much money is spent on BS studies every freaking year? To me it is starting to become a ponzi scheme for money and I am not even a Christian.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

oh boy...
and so it begins.

ps. YOU LIE!

+6 more 
posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yeah but the nice thing about the people I know who meditate is they never tell me I'm going to hell if I fail to accept their path of meditation.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

There was a similar thread like this a few days back.(edit., it was actually the same article)
Talked about religion and brian size I believe.

What's the use of this study?
I'm serious.

OnlyLove
edit on 25/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yeah but the nice thing about the people I know who meditate is they never tell me I'm going to hell if I fail to accept their path of meditation.

As they shouldnt none should tell you, but for sure can warn you of hellish actions. I wish not start the religious back and forths I was just providing that their positive mindstates are effecting their brains and other parts.

+21 more 
posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Yeah, so a scientific study that's published in a peer-reviewed journal (which means you can actually look at it yourself) is horse manure...because you say so?

I'm sorry, but what was done poorly with the study? What are your legitimate objections to how the study was performed?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The Hippocampus

It belongs to the limbic system and plays important roles in the consolidation of information from short-term memory to long-term memory and spatial navigation.

And people are surprised these nitwits can't grasp the concept of evolution. No wonder the mental rejects flock to these types of religions like the Salmon of Capistrano.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion
reply to post by OnlyLove

What's the point of such a study? Are you serious? Aside from the fact that understanding the universe and that which is contained within it should be its own benefit and point, it tells us about the human brain. The more we learn about the human brain, the better.

Such studies could help our understanding of brain development. Now that there is this study there will be further study that might examine people prior to and after such experiences to see if they can examine the cause of brain shrinkage in these cases and if it impairs people in any way.

You have a problem with science? Go toss out your computers.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

So......is their brain size smaller possible due to confined viewpoints, or do they believe in religion due to a mental deficiency?

Sorry....had to.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So which came first?

The smaller brain or the born-again affiliation?

Also, I always understood relative size didnt matter. That the folds were what mattered.

link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Defensive much? So how much salt do you intake in a day? How much coffee should I drink in a day? How much caffeine is bad for you oh wait is it good for you? How about chocolate? How about sugar is that bad for you oh wait it's good for you in certain amounts? Why do people eat? Give me a break science is not based on studies like this, you want to find out why brain's shrink during Alzheimer and why there are seizures go for it. You tell me how they determined that a living human being's brain shrunk because of a belief?

Edit to add this little tid bit from the article itself, There may be more factors responsible for the correlation," she said of the study published on March 30 in "PLoS One," a peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication."
That alone say's it all.
edit on 5/25/1111 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

link   
Joking aside, I have noticed that people who follow religion blindly, which is more common in people who are "born again", seem to allow their entire lives to free float on the notion that "God has a plan", while your average person is playing life like a chess game to get ahead.

Maybe its the slacked use of brain power which causes grey matter to decrease. If you don't use it you lose it. My father-in-law is like this, and his parents helped feed that kind of mind set. I'd wager you'd find similar results in Islamic or Israeli fundamentalists.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Anything can be studied and any conclusion can be written. I read recently that atheists have higher IQ's than people who believe in Religion. I can almost believe that when actually looking into most beliefs. The point is there is no point to so called studies other than being propaganda tools.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by mkkkay

Maybe born agains are generating god vibes and it physically changing them. sorta how meditation can have physical effects since they both are somewhat positive mindstates to be in meditating or praying and believing.

People who meditate grow bigger brains than those who don't. Researchers at Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have found the first evidence that meditation can alter the physical structure of our brains. Brain scans they conducted reveal that experienced meditators boasted increased thickness in parts of the brain that deal with attention and processing sensory input.
www.physorg.com...

I would think that meditation would reinforce the brain, just like any other muscle we have to use it or loose it.
So why is religion different than meditation, religious people do have to use their imagination more then the ones
who just can't imagine a god.. any kind of exercise for the brain be it so futile should make it better.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Please tell me where/how to get that saddam flash.

My question for these scientists, irrelevant of their findings is, don't we have better things to be studying other then differences in human beings? I dunno maybe say finding a cure for brain tumors?

I'm probably just crazy

edit on 25-5-2011 by Ghandi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join