It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space.com: New 3-D Map of Universe Is Best One Yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i.space.com...

BOSTON — Astronomers have created the most complete 3-D map of our local universe, revealing new details about our place in the cosmos.

www.space.com...

I have to say it... God works in mysterious ways

edit on Wed May 25 2011 by Jbird because: changed embed to link per T&C added ex tags

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
it's very cool!

But why are we in the centre? I know why but it's like the Earth is flat stuff?!
edit on 25/5/11 by sevensheeps because: never mind I see it's our galaxy hehehe

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
How do they know we live in a univese shaped like an egg?? Or if it even stops?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

We are in the center because the map is a 360 deg. view from Earth. Not flat world stuff.

The image is more akin to a flattened sphere. It doesn't mean the universe is shaped like a egg. Look at a 2d map of Earths surface.. Same thing, flattened sphere.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sevensheeps
But why are we in the centre? I know why but it's like the Earth is flat stuff?!
We're not in the center of the universe, only in the center of that map, which is a sphere with an approximately 14 light year radius, projected onto 2D.

If we went to a different location 5 billion light years away, we would also see a spherical view with the same radius, but from a different perspective.

Neither view would be from the center of the universe, but both views are at the center of their perspective.

It's an interesting map.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

We are the center of OUR observable universe.we can only graph what we can see.as we are only capable of seeing approx. 14 lightyears in any direction (as stated above), it makes us the center.
edit on 5/25/2011 by keeff because: Mistake

top topics

join