It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt 'to open Rafah border permanently'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Egypt will permanently open its Rafah border crossing starting from Saturday, the country's official news agency reported, easing the blockade on the Gaza Strip.

The news agency MENA said on Wednesday that Egypt's new military rulers set the date for the opening of the crossing as part of efforts "to end the status of the Palestinian division and achieve national reconciliation".

Source: english.aljazeera.net...

Well, in yet another move in the Middle East, it seems that the military rulers in Egypt have sided with the Palestinians and are no longer afraid of Hamas.

The blockade of Gaza is quickly eroding before Israel's eyes and as most of us know, that will not go without action from Israel. While many of us would like to see this blockade removed altogether, I am as certain that many of us can also see why this may not be the best way to go about it. This method screams conflict and Israel is surely not going to be overly receptive to this announcement.

As a side note, I wonder if this move had anything to do with Obama stressing that Israel has the capability to handle their own military maneuvers by themselves. I would imagine that Obama does not, nor should he want, to start a conflict with Egypt -- Israel or no Israel. (yes, push comes to shove, we side with Israel, but it is hardly ideal)

Also, all of the upheaval in the Middle East certainly isn't helping the US. The "new" emerging leaders seem far more amenable to dealing with their formerly forbidden neighbors than with the US.

Edit to add:
This announcement has not made Egypt's military's official facebook page yet (did anyone else just chuckle and roll their eyes), only Al Jezeera right now is reporting this but I find them to be fairly reliable. I will update the thread when it makes Facebook, and apparently that makes it official, official.

edit on 25-5-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

If we honestly expect a peaceful solution, ending this blockade is the first step. Until those people in Gaza have HOPE, they will continue to fight back in the limited way they currently are. Until we can provide honest HOPE (like this crossing opening) nothing will change, and they will continue to do exactly was Israel needs them to do, fight back.

Obviously just opening the floodgates is not the answer, this has to be done in a controlled manner. Just as the camps in ww2 weren't liberated instantly, this has to be done methodically to make sure it's done in an effective, and SAFE manner for both the Israelis AND the Palestinians.

At least, with this announcement, it would see that Israels grip on Egypt has slipped.

I'm sure the muslim haters will come flood this with horrible Palestinian atrocities committed against innocent little Israel, and how the instant the border opens millions of angry blood thrist terrorists will swarm into Gaza, tear down the wall, and proceed to murder, and eat, every single Jew in Israel.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
I'm sure the muslim haters will come flood this with horrible Palestinian atrocities committed against innocent little Israel, and how the instant the border opens millions of angry blood thrist terrorists will swarm into Gaza, tear down the wall, and proceed to murder, and eat, every single Jew in Israel.

Question;

Does that still count as keeping kosher / halal?

Just wondering.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
crime rate in the area around the opening is going to rocket....

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

As a side note, I wonder if this move had anything to do with Obama stressing that Israel has the capability to handle their own military maneuvers by themselves. I would imagine that Obama does not, nor should he want, to start a conflict with Egypt -- Israel or no Israel. (yes, push comes to shove, we side with Israel, but it is hardly ideal)

Also the return to 1967 borders it would seem like he knew about this in advance and it was his way of telling Israel it's time to stop now before major war breaks out.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Does that still count as keeping kosher

Hmm you know what I have no idea. you'll have to ask the others when they show up. Strange, I figured they'd be here by now.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Also the return to 1967 borders it would seem like he knew about this in advance and it was his way of telling Israel it's time to stop now before major war breaks out.

Ok, lets get this straight. Obama did NOt tell Israel to return to the pre- 1967 borders. He said that a two state solution must START at the 1967 border, with mutually agreed land swaps for security.

Which only makes sense. How can you draw up borders without going to the last official borders?

Obama didn't throw anyone under the bus, he stated exactly what several Israeli PMs have said! The only viable START to a peace process, is to start drawing up proposals based on those official borders, with land swaps for security. He stressed that Israel should be able to defend itself, by itself. I happen to agree 100% with that, just not at the expense of some one else.

Mutually agreed swaps, based on the last official border, is the only logical answer. It's no surprise BiBi bat slapped Obot.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Actually it'll fall as the Palestinians will no longer have to dig tunnels and resort to smuggling stuff into the country. Most of what you see in stores in Gaza comes through those tunnels, the removing of this blockade means that a real economy as opposed to a black market will start to form in Gaza. What I'm wondering about is, in the past in response to rocket attacks Israel used to bomb the smuggling tunnels, what will be the response if this border opens up?
edit on 25-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join