It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's start a fire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
reply to post by James1982

Even with wet tinder Dual Survival does mention a couple of ways around that particular problem. for example get the driest stuff you can and put it in a pocket. This will make firestarting easier.

Nice, I must have missed that episode
Great idea though.

I absolutely love Dual Survival, one of the few good shows on TV in my opinion. They aren't running around acting like idiots the way bear grylls or however you spell his name does. Plus Cody and Dave both have a different approach to many things, so you get the best of both worlds presented to you.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Hand sanitizer. This stuff is amazing and fabulous for starting fires....even with wet wood and, no joking, on ice.

That being said, invest in a magnesium fire starter. Find one for less than $5, it fits on a key chain, and then buy a couple of more to have on hand if your budget allows.

Edit to add:

Hand sanitizer is a great addition to your survival pack as is. It will disinfect in a pinch, start fires, clean out minor wounds (it will sting), and can also be used to remove stains and glue residue.
edit on 25-5-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
One more key thing to remember.

Even in a steady downpour there are always places in the woods to find dry materials. A walk in the rain with an umbrella,looking for them as a test, will show you the types of places to find them. Under banks, large logs, inside hollow trees.

But remember this. From a stupid stunt me and my ex did. We climbed up 3 waterfalls. Got completely soaked on the way. Then she slipped in the creek at the top and landed on her back. Her out of the water and her pack under water. Two days later she was home still using a blow dryer on it.

Most all fire tools will fail when wet. They make small water tight containers, as well as dry bags for inside your pack.

Exceptions: the flint/ferro rod and steel, and fire piston. Dry them off and They work fine.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Hand sanitizer. This stuff is amazing and fabulous for starting fires....even with wet wood and, no joking, on ice.

Purell hand wipes.....liquid tinder. They go right up and weigh nothing. You can actually clean up with one and then quickly get a spark on it before it dries.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Don't forget the Fire Piston...
www.google.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join