It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent storms kill 13 in Okla., Kan., Ark....Member story too!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Violent storms kill 13 in Okla., Kan., Ark.

EL RENO, Okla. – Violent storms with winds of more than 150 mph slammed into a chunk of the central U.S. overnight, killing at least 13 people in three states, flattening homes, crushing cars and ripping apart a rural Arkansas fire station.

The high-powered storms arrived Tuesday night and early Wednesday, just days after a massive tornado tore up the southwest Missouri city of Joplin and killed 122 people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It was a Micro burst that hit us here in Kansas shortly before 9pm...
I was lucky, only blew some shingles off the roof and lord only knows where my TV antenna is???

My neighbour didn't fair so well... the wind tore into his barn ripping it apart like a kids toy... the barn and his farming equipment are still scattered along the highway... debris took out the power lines, but the lights came back on at 3am...

Have photos I'll add once I have time to catch my breath... was on hell of a storm that ripped threw here last night... thankfully it's a cool morning so we shouldn't have that afternoon instability today....

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Death toll is now at 15.

At least 15 people died in Arkansas, Kansas and Oklahoma in the latest round of severe weather to strike the U.S. heartland, authorities said Wednesday, in what has already become a historic spring storm season.

Ten of the latest deaths were in Oklahoma, three were in Arkansas and two were in Kansas, authorities said.

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Man i feel so sorry for anyone caught in such a tempest, must be terrifying! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Just to add...
we live just over 70 miles northwest of Joplin... this storm hit them too...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Glad to hear your ok Daddybare!
edit on 25-5-2011 by chiefsmom because: spelling of course

We have a big customer in Joplin, and have become very friendly with some of the employees. We are all very worried and haven't been able to find out if the company or the people are ok

edit on 25-5-2011 by chiefsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
News reported 1,500 people missing from the disastrous tornado aftermath. Not sure about many have actually been found yet - I hope the majority. Sad that search and rescue is being delayed by even more storms. The tornado struck areas look like a war zone - complete destruction. I wish the best who live in those areas.

BTW: Right after news reported about the state declared emergency in Joplin and other areas, it went to a scene of Pres. Obama on TV happily playing ping-pong safe and sound in Europe.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Tell me I'm not the only weirdo who thinks this is the perfect time to have a couple beers, lawn chairs in the garage with the bay door open, or on a big balcony. Since I live in a second story condo with no basement Im pretty much a sitting duck if a tornado hits.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Ya, first off glad you are okay also. Catch your breath for sure, the pictures can wait....

It's a horrible time for all the people in that area and it's hard to imagine what it must feel like...the destruction keeps coming in and I can't help but wonder, what the heck is going on?

I know it's tornado season, but there has got to be a break sometime. My thoughts and prayers are with all the people suffering today, and more pointed with those in your area. Sad times for sure.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Glad you are ok, micro bursts are a crazy thing!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Im glad you are okay. Natural disasters like that are a reminder how little control we have, and how much random chance and luck are a factor in our lives.

Some people prefer to believe they are "blessed" and others "being punished" but I dont believe that, personally. I think its much more a roll of the dice, and Im glad on this roll your number did not come up.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I think anyone in any building or home without a basement is out of luck with these recent monster tornados. In the aftermath photos, I'm not seeing any part of the above ground home structure remaining- which is even more scary. In most cases, a tornado can be heard and seen from 25+ miles away (like a roaring train / debris in the air, etc). I'm wondering if this was the case in these recent tornados or if they just didn't have time to react. Also I was wondering if homes in these tornado stricken areas have basements/cellars?

Many tornados provide enough time to make a run for it (in a car) under the right circumstances - yet you would need to be really attentive to tornado warnings, storm/wind direction, and very observant of the sky and surroundings - if not, it could be even more dangerous. (So, only take a run for it, if you understand the risks and have sufficient time).

I recommend anyone living in a tornado zone to read up on how to spot cloud formations and weather signs that may spawn a tornado (if they don't know already) - to be prepared for one. Many more are apparently expected this season.

Of course if a tornado touches down right on top of an area, then there is no outrunning it.
edit on 25-5-2011 by matito because: of an update

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by matito

Personally, if the storms really are increasing in severity like they said on the weather channel yesterday, I dont see why every new construction home should not be required to have a safe room or shelter on the property. You could probably put one in during construction for $3-4000 dollars added to the cost of the home.

Its pretty ridiculous to me that there is no such requirement already.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

DaddyBare,

Its great to hear your ok, doing well and only missing an antenna!

I remember when you moved back there, you did a thread about it...

We Have Cows : Ok Tornados!

Heres hoping that the storm season blows on through without any more damage!

edit on 25-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Because of where we live... 4 foot deep water table we cant do a basement...
here you wouldn't want one anyway as it could quickly fill with water and then your worried about drowning...
but they do make these concrete above ground shelters. Same company makes septic tanks and ours looks just like on, only with a door...

last night we didn't use it as there was a tornado watch... but no warnings and no sirens... it was a micro burst that got us... today on the drive in to work ever few miles we saw downed trees so this microburst covered a very large area. miles....

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

There are pages and pages of fire code for my condo association yet there is no formal plan for a tornado. I live in Wisconsin and just about every home has a basement with the exception of condos and apartments. In November 2010 a F1 tornado hit and blew part of the roof off of the condo next to mine. Thankfully the only damage to my unit was a broken window. I have been told by the condo association to get in the bathtub and put a matress over the top. I dont think that is going to help much...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

DaddyBare: Good to know that you didn't get hit too hard. Do you know by chance if there were any signs of an impending tornado? Such as low cloud formations or any hail?

Those smaller tornados are very hard to distinguish from heavy winds and can be very difficult to avoid as well as be very dangerous if caught in. Seems Kansas is much like Texas - no real indoor protection from a tornado (no basements or storm shelters). One really has to just cross their fingers and rely on pure luck in most cases.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Glad to hear you are okay.

I am praying for all affected by these storms. And yes, i agree, everyone should know what too look for a.d have a plan as far as where to go to take shelter. When these bit so fast you can never be too prepared. A wild summer we're in for, for sure

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join