It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you only get help in uk if not from the uk????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I don't know if this applies to any other countries but it does in the uk.
So you get all these foreigners from other countries come to England and get houses instantly yet when me and my girlfriend tried to get a house as we were expecting our second child we got told we have to go in a hostel first which was full of drug addicts,we then choose to get a mortgage.
Last year I fell out of work I was 24 and had been in work since I left school at 16 never claimed a penny off the gov and always paid my taxes and the same said for my gf,anyway I went to see about getting help with my mortgage from the gov until I got a job but nothing they couldn't do nothing I ended up in 6 grands worth of arrears and a court date for repossession luckily I found a job in time.
I'm all for people coming here for a better life everyone deserves a chance to live a good life but there has got to be a system where the people who are born here get the houses and the foreigners get the hostel it's a joke.
Has anybody else fell fail to this #ty system.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Uncertain1

What you said is partially correct, our system does need a major overhaul I agree but it's not simply 'foreigners' who get help first (at least not for the reasons you are implying). Basically in our system they have a way of categorising and prioritisng things like social housing etc which ensures that resources are focused more towards helping those with larger families/families with disabilities etc as well as people who have no family to help out. You tend to find the people who have larger families and few or no relatives are 'bumped up' the list so to speak when it comes to help from .gov. The tories being in isn't exactly going to help the situation any since everything is liable to be on the chopping block when they're in power.
edit on 25-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Unfortunately I agree with you. It is appalling what happens in UK in regards to foreigners and citizens.

To this day, I'm unsure why sometimes we get treated as second class citizens in our own country.

However, maybe ... The people who come, come under the whole immigration/asylum heading ... Therefore, they have no place at all to live and they require somewhere to go! A lot of the times, they also have big families which pumps them even higher up the order for a house etc.

Some things will never change ...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hi
I agree entirely.
This is one reason I emmigrated from UK to Spain over 8 years ago.
I as made redundant after 20 years of paying tax and NI, went to get help to start up a new company, and all I was told was to come back when you have spent your redundancy.

I left the UK within 2 weeks.

In Spain if you don't pay into the system...you don't get anything, so at least you know where you stand.

I'm actually back in the UK, but not for long ...its way too cold

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

I live in Beckton near west ham united and the house I bought is a new build flat 92 altogether 80% of them are owned and then letted out to the council and let me tell you there is 3 English families out of 92 possible of the nine flats in my building all but me acquired there house through the council so they pay next to nothing to live there.my gf sister pregnant her boyfriend died in motorbike accident she wants a house/flat near us and her mum so we can help she's lived in this area all her life all 22years of it and do you think she will get it no chance but I can swear on my kids life's if she was from another country she would get it I work with a lot of Romanians and they tell me they can bring there family here and get a house easy.The truth is horrible but it is the truth.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Vertex

We was going to go Spain about 8 months ago but their isn't much work.I work with a lot of romanians and they say this country is being raped by most foreigners because yeah they pay tax the working ones but most of there wages go back to there own country rather than to ours can you imagine how much money leaves England every week that's really going to help us through this recession ain't it.I'm feeling a war cry coming on we need to make a stand.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It's how the government categorises priority, the person who 'needs' the home the most i.e. someone with a family who hasn't had a home before as opposed to a single person who has worked and payed tax etc would be considered a higher priority than the single tax payer. It's nothing to do with the fact that they're foreign, it's pretty much the bigger the family a person has the more they're entitled to, there's some right shocking horror stories in the news about these families that get upwards of 50k a year plus their housing benefit simply because they have about 12 kids and are on disability. It's much harder for people who have no relatives here and haven't worked yet to get a home therefore they are considered 'priority' as opposed to people who have worked, payed tax etc who are expected to 'fend for themselves' so to speak. Basically as it is at the moment the less you contribute to the system the more you get out of it. It's a rotten system and it definitely needs a shakeup but it's not the 'foreigners' that are the problem.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Romanians (and Bulgarians) were only supposed to be allowed into this country if they were professionals or required tradesmen yet they seem to be everywhere, whatever happened to refusing them entry?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

EU citizens can work for a year in any EU country as far as I'm aware, afterwards they are required to return to their home nation. Going to have a look and see what the rules are.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I know as I said I don't blame them for coming to make a better life for there selves but our gov shouldn't let it be at our expense.I wanted a council house I needed it now I struggle every month to pay my mortgage whereas if I got the council house I wanted I wouldn't have to struggle how I do.My kids suffer for this which shouldn't be the case.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I know it's a terrible system, but as long as there is a right wing government it isn't going to get any better.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

There was supposed to be measures put in place after the fiasco with Poland. We only allowed Romania and Bulgaria to join the EU provided the immigration was strictly controlled but it seems they lied to us or at least can't be bothered enforcing it. Either that or car washing is classed as a professional job nowdays

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
here in the good old U.S.A. we treat immigrants better than our own people, why not turn kids into = $$$, the more babies the bigger the check!, hey the section 8 program will even give you a decent apartment! no job or healthcare? no problem congress, obama, pelosi and the entire united states government got you covered!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

I live in Cali. Come here illegally and they give you money, housing, jobs. California is getting out of control. I'm all for helping others, but there are times when the tax payers need assistance as well.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I might make my way to Cali it would be nice to be on the receiving end of handouts for once.

top topics

join