It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark deny banning Marmite because it has too many vitamins

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by Firefly_

because like all global policies its a gradual process, and spoon fed to the populations at large.

if they suddently banned everything at once maybe people would figure out, and complain.

but nope, people have a shorter attention span by the day, today is marmite here, tomorrow is product x in country y.

eventually no matter the culture or food habits we will be restricted.

in this brave new world vitamins and minerals are bad, but things like aspartame...

those come in all the pretty packages.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Something doesn't seem right about this story. If some enemy country had a product banned, everyone would turn a blind eye. But we're supposed to be offended and angry because a country banned a chiefly British food?

Funny that the media seem intent on drumming up anti European sentiment to coincide with Obama and the special relationship pro-America nonsense in the media.

I'd like to know what the Danish are saying. It would have been nice to see some before and after British study of attitudes towards America and Europe pre and post this week.

I also wouldn't put it past Marmite to have put money in someones pocket and had the product banned for promotion

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This move by Denmark is actually illegal and will likely be overturned in due course, should Unilever deem the necessary court costs to be less than their revenue, which is likely.

But, personally, I applaud the Danes and pray for the day the UK Government does the same. I hate the stuff. Should I become PM one day (as is highly likely) I will ban it and anyone caught eating, storing or producing it will be liable to a public spanking.

In fact, I may start an underground movemment, recruit some like-minded people willing to become Martyrs, get the same training those Pakistani air base militants got and storm the factory in Burton, burning the place to the ground.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Just had another thought...

Kind of strapped for cash at the mo, what with the wonky economy, so maybe we could start a Marmite smuggling ring?

We could be rich guys!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I will ban it and anyone caught eating, storing or producing it will be liable to a public spanking.

Careful you might have people lining up to confess so they all can get there public spanking.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Wooahh this is weird and stupid, and how much of it would you have to eat for it to be dangerous. I love the stuff, but come on, you only put a few grams of it on you toast.
On a side note, vegemite is much easier to spread that marmite, but it does not make it a superior product, in my opinion.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'm not sure why you guys are so mad about this because its actually a good thing. Looks like they've also banned fortified cereals since 2004. Guess what, if something is "fortified" with vitamins, the food itself has no nutritional value to begin with. White bread is enriched with vitamins and has been proven to be detrimental compared with wheat or whole grain. If it was up to me I'd take everything off the shelves that's either enriched, fortified, has high fructose corn syrup, msg, aspartame, etc and send it all to Africa where vitamin deficiency is an actual issue.

This has nothing to do with TPTB since they are the ones pushing fortified and enriched foods and by the looks of this thread they have convinced even the greatest of skeptics. Get your vitamins from natural sources like fruits and vegetables like man has done throughout the ages. Not that hard of a concept.

BTW, Nutella > Marmite
edit on 25-5-2011 by robile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by robile

BTW, Nutella > Marmite
You question the nutritional value of Marmite, but parade Nutella, I guess because of its superior taste?

Nutella is mostly sugar, fat and flavor. Not exactly nutritious.

Get your vitamins from natural sources like fruits and vegetables

Yeast is natural, I think.

The B vitamins found in Marmite, Vegamite and the lot comes from the yeast extractives they all contain. It was originally marketed as a food in order to provide a way of using up those yeast extractives instead of using them in animal feed or just tossing them.

. Vegemite was invented in 1922[3] by food technologist Dr. Cyril P. Callister when, following the disruption of British Marmite imports after World War I, his employer, the Australian company Fred Walker & Co., gave him the task of developing a spread from the used yeast being dumped by breweries.

Source

edit on 26-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by robile
I'm not sure why you guys are so mad about this because its actually a good thing. Looks like they've also banned fortified cereals since 2004. Guess what, if something is "fortified" with vitamins, the food itself has no nutritional value to begin with. White bread is enriched with vitamins and has been proven to be detrimental compared with wheat or whole grain. If it was up to me I'd take everything off the shelves that's either enriched, fortified, has high fructose corn syrup, msg, aspartame, etc and send it all to Africa where vitamin deficiency is an actual issue.

This has nothing to do with TPTB since they are the ones pushing fortified and enriched foods and by the looks of this thread they have convinced even the greatest of skeptics. Get your vitamins from natural sources like fruits and vegetables like man has done throughout the ages. Not that hard of a concept.

Weee, someone actually bothered to read the article.

Yes, fortified foods were made subject to state approval as many fortified products began popping up, which had the nutritional value of cardboard, yet were promoted and labeled in a way to make consumers think that it had nutritional value. I seem to recall that the straw that broke the camels back, was candy laced with vitamins and labelled 'for your health'.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Marmite's a great survivalist food too ... I'm still using a jar I bought 3 yrs ago.

It's good for you & lasts forever

Silly Danes.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's because of Folate (folic acid) which is technically only legal as an additive in cereals and bread.

There was a rumour, which turned out to be untrue, that the US banned Vegemite for the same reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join