It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SKY is FALLING! (general apocalypse, not necessarily 2012...)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
So, it's the end of the world. So what? So rivers are topping their banks, volcanoes are exploding, nuclear power plants are melting down, and the very crust of the Earth these days seems like it just doesn't feel like it anymore. So what? The sky's falling, there are a hundred billion meteors streaking across the black abyss of a dead Cosmos, and if we're lucky only a few of them have our names on them. So what? So the people in the TV don't want to go on and on about how wretched it is, and they'd rather just have you watch American Idol or whatever is the big thing this season. So the Fat Cats are still looting the banks as they collapse, robbing us of our retirement money, and using us as Human shields against the bullets of their own incompetence and greed. So what?

I mean, what do you want to do, live forever?

You're right. There's a great big problem in the world, and nobody seems to care. But you're wrong about what that problem is. It isn't political and corporate corruption, it isn't the threat of global thermonuclear SHTF, or any other Impending Doom. Hell, if Humankind had a nickel for every time we've stared Impending Doom in the teeth and lived to write stupid religions about it, we'd be rich.

You know what the problem is? It's you. That's right. If I was the Universe and I noticed a tiny little blue planet full of as many long-faced, hand-wringing, snivelling cry babies as we've got around here, I'd cough up an entire armada of great big asteroids and send them on a collision course straight for that awful place, just to cheer things up a little.

I mean really. We've got a pretty kickass little world here, and every last one of us is so busy worrying something bad might happen we forget how many good things are happening -- or better yet, how many things are happening in general - good, bad or indifferent. We have seven screaming continents full of people who act like they have nothing better to do than complain. No wonder we all worry about the Apocalypse. In our hearts, we know a fiery death to every living thing on Earth is the only hope we ever have of chilling the Hell out.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

I know short replies are frowned upon, but holy crap you summed everything up pretty well. I am speechless! Thank you sharing!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It's not me
It's YOU
(I think this may be the problem)
edit on 25-5-2011 by 12voltz because: of the ringing in my ears

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Mankind in need of redemption. Isn't that the central reason Christ came to this world?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There are the doom and gloomers, and then there are the people who like to stay informed. There are also the people who like to stay informed, and feel it's their duty to do so, and simply be aware. It truly is the duty of everyone capable of doing so, to stay informed and be critical of everything around them. Especially that which we take for granted.

Believe it or not, these people, are more concerned with the well-being of our future. Yea, sure, we can all run out and throw a celebration and pretend there is so much love in the world, but it's not so fun afterwards, when we can realize it was all for naught and the room for improving as a human species is just something too great to pass up. Intelligence and perception needs to be strengthened within the entire population. Simply growing our "comfort zones" isn't going to cut it anymore for ensuring our general survival.

Everything that keeps us from moving forward as a species has to do with subversion, manipulation and turning the cheek to all of it. We're devolving. The writing is on the wall, the floor, and the ceiling if you have the mind to look up. I love many things in life, and wish I had the capacity to do more, but I recognize things in this world that make it impossible for me to fully unplug and appreciate life as I'm told I should. I suppose we should all just shut-up, get married, have kids, pay our taxes, support the wars and love thy shepherd, and in the end nothing can go wrong but excessive harmony. Well that doesn't work for me.

People here don't pick up tattered signs, on their off-days, and then stand on a corner to scream at pedestrians. ATS, is like many places. One gets, what one expects. We're all individuals and adults, we can all use our brains and filter information based on our experiences and knowledge. Informed decisions and opinions. That's about the only requirement for being an adult.

Complacency is the enemy of civilization, and the world we stand on. The bad stuff doesn't go away if you turn the other way. It doesn't matter how loud you play your music, and how many books you read. You can get to the bottom of a hundred bottles, and medicate yourself into a glorious stupor. It doesn't matter, everything is still there. What matters is how you react, and like all things, a line must be drawn. All things in moderation, and simply be aware and beware.

Clearly one doesn't need to batten down the hatches and turn the basement into an armory to alleviate complacency. You can simply be a cynic, and have stronger opinions.. the world will not end.
edit on 25-5-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

Ok just to set things straight.

The world is not ending.Not now,not next year,not anytime soon.How do i know that?

Because natural disasters(volcanoes,earthquakes,floods etc) happen for thousands of years and the world didn't end.It's not a bad thing to stay informed about this stuff.It may save your life.
Unfortunatelly it's in the human nature to over dramatize every event in our lives and with the internet that allows us instant knowledge of everything that happens around the globe,things can get out of track.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yeah that was kinda my point.

new topics

top topics

join