It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA reveals their new spaceship for Mars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
First thread.
Here's some 'interesting' news about NASA's new spaceship to Mars.

NASA has found the ideal spaceship to take astronauts far from Earth - the same one they've been working on for several years and have spent $5 billion on. All the Orion capsule needed was a new name - the Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle. NASA said it decided the spacecraft would be what takes astronauts to a still-to-be-determined destination. The disposable capsule would take four astronauts on 21-day trips.

Link

I don't know about the rest of you here on ATS.. But I believe that NASA has officially lost the plot. They are still building the same design of 'tin cans' they built back in the 60's, but with more of an expansive budget (5 billion dollars) If NASA continues to build the same boring old spaceship models, we will get nowhere. I believe it's time that the private space companies take over. They'll lead the way for space exploration.

The ship would not be reusable because it will land in the Pacific Ocean and salt water corrodes metal.

So.. At a cost of $5 billion, it's not even going to be reusable? Oh NASA.. What will we do with you.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Here is a cool design that looks like something from Thunderbirds or Dan Dare, the Skylon Space plane, being developed by Reaction Engines in the UK. It's engine supercools the air into liquid, so it doesn't need a massive fuel tank to get to space, unfortunately, its progress is slow, as money is tight all over the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.reactionengines.co.uk...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Well what else are they going to do with 5 billion $? Spend it on the homeless? Wheres the fun in that,they would just waste it on cheap wine and cigarettes.Onwards and upwards towards Mars in an old tin can.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
How much is spent on unnecessary trials, how much is spent on a failed war on drugs, bombs, guns, and wars everyday? And this is all they have to offer? Come on man, Am i the only one who thinks there is something wrong with this? there has to be a different space program.
edit on 25-5-2011 by reesie45 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

I don't know about the rest of you here on ATS.. But I believe that NASA has officially lost the plot. They are still building the same design of 'tin cans' they built back in the 60's,

Ah not quite, the Apollo capsules weighed less than 6000kgs, these Orion capsules weigh over 20,000kgs.

If NASA continues to build the same boring old spaceship models, we will get nowhere.

Not there fault, the article says it all...

The capsule is the only part of the Bush space plan that President Barack Obama did not cancel last year.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

How's it getting to Mars and back with this??

The disposable capsule would take four astronauts on 21-day trips.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Well what else are they going to do with 5 billion $? Spend it on the homeless? Wheres the fun in that,they would just waste it on cheap wine and cigarettes.Onwards and upwards towards Mars in an old tin can.
4 of that 5 billion dollars has probaly been funnelled into the secret space program

edit on 25-5-2011 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder

Originally posted by 12voltz
4 of that 5 billion dollars has probaly been funnelled into the secret space fleet
Starship Troopers is now a reality.

Also, I do believe they have other things that are far more advanced.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
It's laughable when I see that after 50 years and billions invested in space tech they come up with a copy of the apollo program ........

That does prove there is an alternative space program !

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Not quite the "Star Ship: Enterprise"... is it?
I'm hoping for an Iran flying saucer. That would be more like a technological advancement.
Too bad NASA does not have the 'right stuff' anymore.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Monte-Carlo

A copy that's nearly 4 times the size with a fraction of the budget.

In 1966 NASA's budget was 4.41% of the federal budget, in 2008 it was 0.60%

Or... In 1966 NASA spent $32,106,000,000 (2007 constant) and in 2008 they spent $17,138,000,000 (2007 constant)

edit on 25/5/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
What a waste of money. 5 billion dollars thrown away towards a planet that will never be inhabited by any living creature or human. Use the money for an actual cause for once. This much money could feed a few African nations for YEARS.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Monte-Carlo

A copy that's nearly 4 times the size with a fraction of the budget.
In 1966 NASA's budget was 4.41% of the federal budget, in 2008 it was 0.60%
Or... In 1966 NASA spent $32,106,000,000 (2007 constant) and in 2008 they spent $17,138,000,000 (2007 constant)

edit on 25/5/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

I didn't see mention of size, only weight..
But still, many expected a little bit more advancement by now..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I think that we're all mostly on the same page here, as I would have to agree. I know that personally I think this stinks, and I'm left with this thought that the Space Programs have now gone underground in regaurds to NASA and some of our other ABC departments... Kind of like they want to move out of the public's eye and into some kind of TOP Secret Sector doing God Knows What.

There are way to many FACTs to take into account to simply just have the Space Program as is. And I think the people that fall for this BS that NASA is saying, are plain BLIND. What a Joke

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I heard they confiscated old Apollo spacecrafts from museums all over the country. Then they had an in-house design competition to see who could best pimp an old spacecraft. That all cost $200k.

The rest of the money they blew on new toilets for the Pentagon.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

No way $5 Billion for something that cant resist rust, what if the astronauts land in water on mars like in the polar caps, they are screwed.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Has anyone even bothered to consider that the design of the original Apollo was the ideal shape for a capsule based craft? Atmospheric travel speeds are very high, return speeds also very high - the shape has to be optimized for these aspects not "what looks cool". Looking cool is great but sucks when it waffles out of control during launch operations.

When are these clowns going to figure out that going to the moon and actually doing something constructive like energy production would go a long way towards justifying a budget instead of cruising around in a LEO.

While I'm at it - why does every president feel it necessary to change the direction of NASA every four years? "We're going to the Moon!" "No we're not. Mars!" "One word, Asteroids!" "New rockets! Here's a bunch of money!" "No new rockets. Scrap the Shuttle too. No money for you".

God only knows what's going to happen next. At least the Air Force has their earthquake/storm/spy/warfare space plane flying around somewhere up there wreaking havoc.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Why they wont just use SpaceX Dragon capsule? It uses internal LAS boosters which are able to perform soft landing on every surface in the solar system, and is fully reusable. And it was developed from a blank sheet to the first demonstration flight in just over four years for about $300 million. Imagine what would SpaceX do with 5 billion..

Dragon spacecraft

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with capsules. It is the ideal shape for atmospheric reentry, along with lifting body shapes.

How's it getting to Mars and back with this??

There will be service and habitat modules for eventual Mars mission.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join